Home

Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer.

This is a discussion on Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer.

TWO WORDS for Vick and his big fans from OS to ESPN lol HYPED and OVERRATED.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #42
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

If he can get his team to the post season consistently, where once you get there anything can happen, I don't see how he could be considered overrated.

If you look at the physical tools, there's nothing to say he can't be a great passer. I mean his footwork was miles ahead of where it was. He might have the strongest arm in the league. He throws with balance, he throws a nice ball with a lot of RPM's, and his release is quick and consistent. He does tend to drop his elbow a bit when throwing balls outside to his left.

Physically there's no reason he can't develop in to a great pocket passer. McNabb, Elway, Young, etc, all went through similiar growing pains earlier in their careers. It's just a matter of can Atlanta develop him, and will he do the things neccesary to develop.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas
Also, never in the history of the NFl has the QB been the fastest and most athletic guy on the field. Does he have weaknesses, of course, but with the right system, coaches, and talent around him, he will be spectacular.

That’s my point. The QB position has evolved away from that. Why?--because of the athleticism of the defense. Your argument is that Vick will be able to overcome modern defenses because of his superior athleticism. That’s fantasy. Solid—even just decent defenses—WILL be able to scheme him, and force him to throw or get hammered (and in the process, loose more yards in sacks than any other NFL QB, as he did this last season).

Vick is nothing more than another Slash (remember the years of hype about him?), with a little more speed and worse passing accuracy.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #44
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
That’s my point. The QB position has evolved away from that. Why?--because of the athleticism of the defense. Your argument is that Vick will be able to overcome modern defenses because of his superior athleticism. That’s fantasy. Solid—even just decent defenses—WILL be able to scheme him, and force him to throw or get hammered (and in the process, loose more yards in sacks than any other NFL QB, as he did this last season).

Vick is nothing more than another Slash (remember the years of hype about him?), with a little more speed and worse passing accuracy.
You make it sound like it's so simple to scheme agaainst him. If it was, it would have been done already. Bottom line is the guy went 11-5 and took his team to the NFC Champ. game, and is only just beginning to scratch the surface to his talent.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You make it sound like it's so simple to scheme agaainst him. If it was, it would have been done already. Bottom line is the guy went 11-5 and took his team to the NFC Champ. game, and is only just beginning to scratch the surface to his talent.

“[Vick] is only just beginning to scratch the surface of his talent.” This is what I don’t agree with. I think he has already shown us his best, and now it’s the defenses’ turn to adapt. Then the question is: Can Vick take the next step. I don’t believe he can. Now, I’m not saying he won’t win some games with his athleticism—because he will. I’m saying he’s a below than average QB right now—and I don’t believe he will ever be a solid QB. However, as the Ravens (and Trent Dilfer) showed us: A mediocre QB with a phenomenal defense can make it to the promise land. So in that sense I guess Atlanta fans can take heart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #46
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32

So vick is mediocre? wow, I guess all of the gm's and pro bowl voters,players were all wrong about him. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #47
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas
So vick is mediocre? wow, I guess all of the gm's and pro bowl voters,players were all wrong about him. Thanks for clearing that up for all of us.

LOL. Yeah you're right, we should base talent level on the Pro Bowl voting.

Oy Vey--you need to pay more attention to the NFL. The Pro Bowl has become a joke and nothing more than a popularity contest. Why do you think there's so much talk of getting rid of it? Mediocre QB? Yep, you bet. When you’re the 26th rated passer in the NFL and lose more yards in sacks than any other QB in the league—a good QB you are not.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Brett Favre, Chad Pennington, and Matt Hasselbeck are first tier QBs—and anyone who thinks Vick is even close to these guys is delusional. Then there are probably about five or six QBs that are second tier—and Vick is not among them. Now, when we get to the third tier we can talk about Vick—but not until.

What’s going on with Vick is akin to what has been going on in the NBA for over a decade now. Every new player that can dunk is deemed the next MJ. The next thing you know the league is full of the Next MJ—players that can make ESPN’s highlights and sell shoes, but can’t really play the game. That’s why the NBA’s ratings are in the tank—these commercially created New MJs can sell but can’t play—and the game sucks. Vick is a commercially created star, the NFL’s version of the Next MJ—nothing more.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
LOL. Yeah you're right, we should base talent level on the Pro Bowl voting.

Oy Vey--you need to pay more attention to the NFL. The Pro Bowl has become a joke and nothing more than a popularity contest. Why do you think there's so much talk of getting rid of it? Mediocre QB? Yep, you bet. When you’re the 26th rated passer in the NFL and lose more yards in sacks than any other QB in the league—a good QB you are not.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Brett Favre, Chad Pennington, and Matt Hasselbeck are first tier QBs—and anyone who thinks Vick is even close to these guys is delusional. Then there are probably about five or six QBs that are second tier—and Vick is not among them. Now, when we get to the third tier we can talk about Vick—but not until.

What’s going on with Vick is akin to what has been going on in the NBA for over a decade now. Every new player that can dunk is deemed the next MJ. The next thing you know the league is full of the Next MJ—players that can make ESPN’s highlights and sell shoes, but can’t really play the game. That’s why the NBA’s ratings are in the tank—these commercially created New MJs can sell but can’t play—and the game sucks. Vick is a commercially created star, the NFL’s version of the Next MJ—nothing more.
This post explains why you don't work in an NFL front office.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »