Home

Sega's High Expectations for NFL2K3

This is a discussion on Sega's High Expectations for NFL2K3 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2002, 12:04 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Sega\'s High Expectations for NFL2K3

right now sega is at it's best finalcial state in 5 years because they no longer focus on hardware development. They do still develop hardware to some extent but not to the extent as they used to. Also remember that sega now releases it's software on multiple consoles so they are selling more software and developing more then they ever have. Basically what they are saying is that they over estimated on their fiscal plans for this year which is only natural because they expect to dominate. That's not a bad thing, i mean would you support of invest/support a company that expects to do bad? Sega right now is in the early stages of trying to get over their losses, which will take another few strong years, but with the talent of developers inhouse and inbed with sega it'll be like 2 years and then they'll be back on their feet and start taking more chances like they did with the Dreamcast. That's why alot of people like sega, they take chances and are the most innovative developer in gaming.

So don't worry about that article, it's nothing of concern, it means nothing at all. It's kinda funny though, because the only financial updates game sites give on developers is either bad or that the company got sold/bought out. If you follow sega's financial situation (i have for the past 4 years as i own stocks in them) then it's more or less stating the obvious.

btw WCO wtf are you talking about? haha your one silly kid. From your post i gather that you think sega didn't sell 1.6 million copies because they didn't have keyboard chat support? lol I'll explain ok, they take the number of football games sold the previous year by them and their competitor. Say for a hypothetical example sega sold 20% of all football games last year, which was their first year on ps2, so they say, well were going to sell 50% this year. Meaning they expect to do alot better, doesn't everyone expect to do alot better? Don't you?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:09 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 10

In reply to:

Live and NHL are the worst offenders though.

I guess you've never played the triple play series
Old 11-08-2002, 12:46 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its going to take time for sega to get to be equal to Madden a lot of promoting the game would help a lot. So what if Nfl 2k3 is the the realist thing to the nfl. But that not what people want its. The want something with deepth and fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2002, 01:55 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 32

1.6 mil wasnt very realistic. 300,000 sold through Nov is respectable for NFL2k3 on the PS2. Madden has store space, commercials, tradition, and in some aspect a better game. Sega has to fight throgh alot to get their market share,
The only way Sega will get market share is to make a clearly superior game. This hasn't happen yet.
We could look at Konami's Winning Eleven 6 series(da best and most complete sports game out there, a lot of developers should study this game) vs EA's Fifa Series(Ping Pong soccer w/ arcade play). For many years EA game was the top selling soccer game in Europe, it was the king of gaming soccer but KCET was making a better more realistic soccer title. This year Konami title finally surpass Fifa for being number 1. This is a model VC must follow. In Sega Sports there are too many nagging things that you need to over look to play their games. IMO they must be able dominate Madden as the clearly dominate title for at least 2 years to gain serious market share.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:11 AM   #13
Rookie

monsterhound's Arena

OVR: 3

Hopefully VC will put a little more time on the PS2 version of 2k4. I was really looking forward to 2k3 from my experience with it on the Dreamcast and my boredom at the time with the Madden series. However, I found 2k3 for the PS2 pretty underwhelming. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch of the imagination but the constant framerate stutters killed the game for me.

They "optimized" the game for XBox. I'm just surprised they didn't polish the game for the PS2, given the fact that the estimates show that that's where they were clearly focusing for sales.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:34 PM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Without the extreme conclusions I actually agree with most of wco81's points.

It was clear that Sega geared toward the xbox and xbox live. There's nothing wrong with this but then trying to release the game with madden puts it out months before live's release making it an incredible wait which hurt sales. It seems to me they're right about were they should have expected to be. It can't be denied that it's a good game (despite what some still seem to think) b/c of the huge madden following, especially on the ps2, they wouldn't be selling at all if it wasn't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »