Home

Is it smart to draft QBs in the first round anymore?

This is a discussion on Is it smart to draft QBs in the first round anymore? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #33
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Is it smart to draft QBs in the first round anymore?

This is not a veiled "praise Romo" thread as some of you suggest. Your hatred for Dallas is far more at play than that, if that's what you think.

I hardly think finding D-II quarterbacks in rookie free agency is the way to go. That's dumb luck to find a Warner or Romo.

I'm saying I'd rather draft a lower risk player at another position that can play well soon, rather than take the high risk option at quarterback and pour in the time needed to develop them.

If you miss, which you likely will, it puts your franchise back years.

Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Rex Grossman, Chris Simms, Rick Mirer, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington,
Aaron Rogers, Todd Marinovich, Drew Henson, etc, etc.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #34
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: This is why QBs are drafted

You entirely missed the point of my thread.

I didn't say don't draft quarterbacks. I said drafting them high in the first round is risky, and that many of the league's best quarterbacks were not high picks.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Every position has bombs in the first round. What is the point really of any of this except to hail Romo?

Do we need to list busts at HB, WR, DL, etc to prove the point? Or should be just all Hail Romo?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Every position has bombs in the first round. What is the point really of any of this except to hail Romo?

Do we need to list busts at HB, WR, DL, etc to prove the point? Or should be just all Hail Romo?
Oh, you will Hail Romo, and you will like it!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #37
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic

To me the point is to draft 2nd+ rounders at QB and let them sit for a while and learn rather than putting the pressure on these "saviors" and setting them up to fail.

Tony Romo is a great example. So is Bulger. On the flip side, Ryan Leaf, Eli Manning, and perhaps Joey Harrington, if you want to stretch that far, are good examples.

Currently:
Asilos Magdalena by The Mars Volta
LOST Theme
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine Acoustic Medley

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #38
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Rex Grossman, Chris Simms, Rick Mirer, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington,
Aaron Rogers, Todd Marinovich, Drew Henson, etc, etc.
Drew Henson was a 6th round pick. Chris Simms was a low 3rd round pick. The Bears and the Jaguars have been very competitive over the past few years with Leftwich and Grossman starting. Aaron Rodgers has never even started a game. You mix legit busts like Shuler, Leaf, Akili Smith, Mirer with guys that don't belong on your created list and don't make your point.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinimac
To me the point is to draft 2nd+ rounders at QB and let them sit for a while and learn rather than putting the pressure on these "saviors" and setting them up to fail.

Tony Romo is a great example. So is Bulger. On the flip side, Ryan Leaf, Eli Manning, and perhaps Joey Harrington, if you want to stretch that far, are good examples.
The problem with your argument is the sample size. As I said in the beginning of the topic, about half of the first/early second round QBs are busts.

However, probably 70% (if not higher) of second day QBs don't even make a roster. As "bad" as Eli Manning has been, the best second day QB from his draft was Craig Krenzel. No team depends on a second day QB to develop and take over the franchise. If it happens, great, but if you need a QB, you don't pick a late QB and hope one day he works out.

Hell, if they were given the option, New England and St Louis probably would have cut Brady, Warner, and Bulger if they were assured at the beginning of the season that if they were to cut those 3 players, Bledsoe, Green, and Warner would not have gotten hurt.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #40
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinimac
Eli's been inconsistent no doubt, but he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Ryan Leaf and Joey Harrington. Those guys never made the playoffs while Eli has never missed the playoffs as a starter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »