Home

Is TV ruining pro football?

This is a discussion on Is TV ruining pro football? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Is TV ruining pro football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
If they have 4 pm starts the people have had 3 more hours to drink

I'm actually fairly sure this is why
Same thing here with the Tennessee Titans. Every Sunday game is at noon, except for the game against the Jets in week 16.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
If they have 4 pm starts the people have had 3 more hours to drink

I'm actually fairly sure this is why
Hm true, but the Bills were a big name team back then. Thinking back on it though Buffalo fans were pretty rowdy back then and i've heard horror stories about people cussing rather loudly even in front of little kids.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Hm true, but the Bills were a big name team back then. Thinking back on it though Buffalo fans were pretty rowdy back then and i've heard horror stories about people cussing rather loudly even in front of little kids.
Back then TV wasn't as much in control. When the Bills become good again, and if they are great, you'll see that change.

The Bears just a few years ago was noon starts all the time. But as they got good that changes. That and the fact that they have a good national base. But hell in 1985 when they were the top team in the land, they played almost all noon games, besides the one Thursday and a few Monday Nighters.

It's a different landscape now.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #28
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

My main complaint about TV is just how long games drag out.

Touchdown
PAT
Commercial
Kickoff
Commercial
1st
2nd
3rd
4th-Punt
Commercial
1st down
Timeout
Commercial
2nd down
Challenge
Commercial

A game that should take 3 hours max goes for 3.5 hours for timeout after timeout.

If the game clock ran the way it should. After a punt or a kickoff the offense should have 40 seconds to get a play off...not two minutes for a TV timeout followed by 40 seconds.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #29
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Also, it seems with all sports that the most important part of the game is the end. If you could only see the first half of a game or the second half of a game, most people would choose the second half as it is when the outcome is decided.

But in all sports, games are started so late on the east coast that you have to stay up almost to midnight to see the end.

I read an article once and it said that it was sad that so many kids never got to see one of the greatest closers of all time (Mariano Rivera) close out a game in the post season because it was always after Midnight when the games ended and they were in bed. And while that's not necisarrily true, it make sense.

Why punish the people on the east coast by starting a game at 8:30PM? Why not start the game at 7:30PM? It's 4:30 on the west coast and as long as people get home by 6:00PM, they will plenty of time to see the most important part of the game.

After living on the West Coast for the first 24 years of my life, I took it for granted how lucky we were to always be able to see an entire game. Now living in Texas, it's a chore to watch the end of any game into completion as they typically go to 11:00-12:00 at night.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Also, it seems with all sports that the most important part of the game is the end. If you could only see the first half of a game or the second half of a game, most people would choose the second half as it is when the outcome is decided.

But in all sports, games are started so late on the east coast that you have to stay up almost to midnight to see the end.

I read an article once and it said that it was sad that so many kids never got to see one of the greatest closers of all time (Mariano Rivera) close out a game in the post season because it was always after Midnight when the games ended and they were in bed. And while that's not necisarrily true, it make sense.

Why punish the people on the east coast by starting a game at 8:30PM? Why not start the game at 7:30PM? It's 4:30 on the west coast and as long as people get home by 6:00PM, they will plenty of time to see the most important part of the game.

After living on the West Coast for the first 24 years of my life, I took it for granted how lucky we were to always be able to see an entire game. Now living in Texas, it's a chore to watch the end of any game into completion as they typically go to 11:00-12:00 at night.
This is why I never get to see any primetime games in its entirety. I wonder when that Patriots/Ravens game ended last night. Must have ended at 11:00 PM CT. In baseball it's even worse, FOX drags the game out as long as they want. Games that should end at 10 PM CT don't end until around 11:30 CT or midnight.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Hell Cubs playoff games were ending past midnight here. TV is god. They'll lose younger viewers and I think over time there will be some level of price to pay.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #32
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11

I agree with this, especially for the NBA. They start some games at 10:30. What the hell?

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »