Home

5 greatest upsets since 1980

This is a discussion on 5 greatest upsets since 1980 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #25
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 5 greatest upsets since 1980

No mention of App State over Michigan in the big house or Stanford over USC as 40+ pt underdogs?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
How old were you when that happened? And do you know the back story to that game?

I can't fathom anyone saying that it is overrated or whatever.
I was 10. I think its a top 5/10 upset. But people put it @ 1 & I believe patriotic fervor has made it a little more than it was. They had home ice advantage. That's not like winning on a neutral field or road stadium. And they got a gift by the backup goalie playing, which has never been explained by the coach. Douglass over Tyson, NCSt over Houston & SB 42 rate higher to me.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #27
Pro

truckie16's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I was 10. I think its a top 5/10 upset. But people put it @ 1 & I believe patriotic fervor has made it a little more than it was. They had home ice advantage. That's not like winning on a neutral field or road stadium. And they got a gift by the backup goalie playing, which has never been explained by the coach. Douglass over Tyson, NCSt over Houston & SB 42 rate higher to me.
I think your insane. A bunch of kids out of college that had been playing together for what six months against what was essentially an all pro team that had played together for about ten years. Home ice has nothing to do with. 3 weeks prior that same USSR team had beaten the US team 10-0 in NY.
That would be the equivilant of taking the NCAA div. 2 or 3 champions and having them play against the Superbowl champs for a gold medal. I think it will be very hard to ever top the USA v USSR upset.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #28
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16
I think your insane. A bunch of kids out of college that had been playing together for what six months against what was essentially an all pro team that had played together for about ten years. Home ice has nothing to do with. 3 weeks prior that same USSR team had beaten the US team 10-0 in NY.
That would be the equivilant of taking the NCAA div. 2 or 3 champions and having them play against the Superbowl champs for a gold medal. I think it will be very hard to ever top the USA v USSR upset.
/agree

How about:

Red Sox over the Yankees in 04'?

Or would that be under greatest comeback list?

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 02-04-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #29
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Co-sign. Especially when you consider the political tension between the countries.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
All of that's nice. But what people forget is that game wasn't the finals. So it wasn't for the title. If the USSR's top goalie was in there, I would have a different take. But the backup also makes a difference. They weren't going @ the best the USSR had to offer.

Having the entire stadium chanting "USA" made an affect as well. Note that that matchup is just about the only "greatest upset" where the underdog had the decided home advantage.

Buster Douglass had no advantage. He was in no way shape or form the equal of Tyson. Evident by the fact he did nothing else in his career. Tyson beat people in seconds. Buster didn't have people in his corner in the crowd. He didn't have teammates to help him out. That was a bigger upset.

Giants just beat a team that had never lost. A coach & QB that had never lost a SB. A team that set scoring records in a league that has been around 80 years. On a neutral field. W/90% of the nation not giving them a shot. That's a bigger upset.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #31
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Personally I have to rate this in the top 3 of all time not just 1990. As for my number one? Probably Vilanova over Georgetown.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #32
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

The only thing in my opinion about that Douglas/Tyson fight was the longest 10 count ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »