Home

Zorn, head coach Washington Redskins

This is a discussion on Zorn, head coach Washington Redskins within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Zorn, head coach Washington Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan
Why would Fox be gone? Since 03 when they went to the bowl they have had two injury riddled seasons, and another NFCCG appearence.

Seems they'd be silly to let him go.
Because he has no guts when making offensive decisions, he's terrible on gameday, & he refuses to use younger, better players.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalloy3
I think everyone needs to calm down and give the man a chance let's see what he can do. Oh and before everyone says your just a Redskins fan, I like to see young unproven coaches get a chance that is how we got Joe Gibbs. Back then everyone was like who the hell is this Jack Kent Cooke is crazy. So just give him a chance.
What exactly has Snyder done in his time as owner of the Skins to earn the benefit of the doubt on *any* decision he makes?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #27
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
What exactly has Snyder done in his time as owner of the Skins to earn the benefit of the doubt on *any* decision he makes?
Pay superstar type money for non-superstar players?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #28
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10631354/2

Quote:
Snyder's ineptness rears its ugly head again with coaching hire

Feb. 9, 20
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com

You can have money. You can have power. And you can also insist on all your underlings calling you "Mister."

But none of that can bring you football sense.

Snyder's search for a head coach for his Washington Redskins ended Saturday night with the hiring of Jim Zorn, the former NFL quarterback he brought to Washington two weeks ago to be his offensive coordinator -- not his head coach.

The following rip job on that move isn't meant to indict Zorn, who is regarded highly as an offensive coach. But, come on, what the heck is Snyder doing?

Did he really need a month to decide on Zorn? Or is this simply a panic move or more like one of Snyder's trademark I'll-do-what-I-damn-well-please moves?

Snyder makes as much money as any owner in the league. He's a master at it, in fact. For that, he should be lauded.

But football-wise, he should be shredded.

He is the knee-jerk, react owner who spends lavishly and most of the time it's foolishly. Look at his track record. Take a look at his coaches. How'd that Steve Spurrier work out? How about bringing back Joe Gibbs? Wasn't exactly worth it, was it? Snyder's free agency and trade scoreboard is littered with failure.

Paging Adam Archuleta. Paging Antwaan Randle El. Paging Brandon Lloyd.

The problem is Snyder thinks he knows football just because he collected football cards years ago and wore Redskins colors to school. But he doesn't. Instead of hiring quality football people and letting them do their jobs, he's way too involved.

This is an owner who actually has sought out advice on free agents from league writers. I've heard it with my own ears, not that he ever asked me. Of course, I would have been a no-go on Archuleta and Randle El and Lloyd from the start. You can look that up.

Is he really the man who the Redskins faithful want having input into football decisions? Snyder is a brilliant businessman. As a football man, he's messier than Amy Winehouse's life.

Is Zorn really a better choice than Gregg Williams, the in-house candidate who was the odds-on favorite to get the job, only to be rebuffed when he didn't play kissy-face with the owner? No, but Zorn is probably a better yes-man.

It appeared the job was Williams' to lose when Gibbs retired, but Williams never seemed to win over the owner. The theory around the league is that it's because he wasn't open to those moments when Snyder wanted to play coach.

Snyder cast him aside, even though players and others thought him to be the right guy for the job.

Williams didn't bow down, which is a mistake when you work for Snyder. Many league insiders refer to Vinny Cerrato, the executive vice president of football operations, as "Snyder's boy." At times in his stint with the Redskins, Cerrato wondered if he would even have a job, but always was wise to stay close to the owner. Now he's the football decision-maker. He's a yes-man. Maybe his name should be Vinny "Cerrat-never-say-no."

Cerrato is actually now second in command in making football decisions to the ultimate decision-maker, Snyder. I mean Mr. Snyder. Oops.

It's clear that Snyder went for a coach who would listen to him. He picked Zorn. That's after several others backed away, including New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who was told by confidants around the league to pass. Why did Spags and others pass? They didn't want to inherit two coordinators, Zorn on offense and Greg Blache on defense, already hired by Snyder.

Talk about troubles. How can you expect a new head coach to take two guys the owner hired onto his staff as his closest confidants? Doesn't Snyder watch mob shows? Even if they weren't rats, they'd both be perceived as such.

Zorn has never been a head coach. Heck, he's never been a coordinator. But he's probably open to Snyder's meddling. It is one of 32 jobs of its kind, which does mean something, even when the owner is calling you to the office two and three times a day.

When Gibbs was around, Snyder idolized him. He was a fan. He wasn't going to interfere with the legend. But with Gibbs gone, Snyder is back to his old ways, ways that his previous coaches hated.

Zorn might turn out to be a heck of a coach. I loved the way he played the game. He was daring and he might be that way as a coach. That's always a good thing.

But the perception with his players will be that he is Danny's Boy. That's never a good thing. It could make for some real problems.

Snyder is smarter than all this. I always look at the Redskins' business side to see just how smart he truly is in that area. It's a cash machine. He should tend to that and hire some smart football people, not men who have "Yes, Mr. Snyder" in their automatic reply settings because it's used so much.

Money and power mean a lot, Mr. Snyder. But they will never buy somebody football sense. We've been reminded of that once again by Snyder's actions of the past month.

Oh, Danny Boy. Not again.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #29
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan
Why would Fox be gone? Since 03 when they went to the bowl they have had two injury riddled seasons, and another NFCCG appearence.

Seems they'd be silly to let him go.
the only reason he's still here is because the owners like him. The team has been garbage since losing in the superbowl, it's only getting worse, and he's also already used up his coordinator taking the heat card. The defense has been average, they draft horribly, never get the right FA's, don't play better players, have a boring offense that does nothing well. Etc. They were only in contention for the division for so long this season because the falcons had the vick thing happen, and the saints sucked.

The past few years, the enthusiasm for the panthers has been killed only weeks into the season. The games aren't fun to watch, and they went over a year without a home game win. With a young franchise, you can't keep fans with crap like that, and stadiums emptying by halftime show that. Also, as bad as our stars like steve smith and peppers played this year, they might as well have been no name rookies. They have to spark it up again by bringing in someone else.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #30
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

pretty funny when at the press conference he gets the Skins colors wrong

"yellow, maroon, & black"

I'm willing to give him a chance though. As long as he isnt ultra-conservative like Gibbs
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
That's Dave Krieg, dude.
Negative. That's Zorn all the way.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena