Home

Browns a big contender now?

This is a discussion on Browns a big contender now? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Browns a big contender now?

Until the Browns can beat the Steelers, they aren't favorites. The last time they beat the Steelers was 2003.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Until the Browns can beat the Steelers, they aren't favorites. The last time they beat the Steelers was 2003.
They came close this year. I think this is the year they beat Pittsburgh so don't be all "we're still better"

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #19
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

At least with the addition of "Big Baby", Romeo is not only the second fattest guy in the locker room.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #20
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

I think we have to be considered the early favorite for the north (although we do need to beat the Steelers absolutely).

Stallworth makes the offense more dangerous than ever, gives us a 3rd option at WR to go with Braylon and JJ, then Winslow at TE.

We revamped the DL big time and that should pay off in a big way, they should give the LBs time to make plays.

We could use an OLB but Peek wasn't bad last year, Mortensen said we're looking to sign Travis LaBoy from the Titans and I think he'd be our starting OLB opposite Wimbley if it happens, ILB we need Davis and Jackson to be stronger against the run, I won't be shocked if Leon Williams beats out Davis for the starting job and Davis gets released.

DBs safety we're good, as far as CB we're very young and we just have to hope Wright and McDonald are ready for the challenge that lies ahead, adding a vet here would be helpful.

Jamal Lewis has to stay healthy for us at RB though or we'll be in some trouble, I don't think Wright or Harrison can carry a full load for us if he goes down.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 11

Yeah,..the Browns look good,..they should at least get a wild card spot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Every year people get caught up in a few teams making apparent big moves in free agency and it turns out their effect was far less significant when the season actually rolls around.

Acquisitions like these for the Browns will make them a better team if they can, as a whole, build upon 07. But it won't save them if they were heading for a decline perhaps due to QB play inconsistency etc, which they could easily do as it's tough to jump that hurdle from being a fringe playoff team to a full blown contender.

Plus their D is still a while away IMO.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #23
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

They've certainly improved on paper. Lewis has to continue to play well despite his advanced age. Anderson has to prove to be better than a one hit wonder which is not easy. Braylon Edwards has to do the same. Etc. They've certainly improved on paper, but, without any early picks... they are in a unique spot where they already know what needs to click. Should be interesting.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
They came close this year. I think this is the year they beat Pittsburgh so don't be all "we're still better"
Honestly, considering these teams play 2 times a year and the Browns haven't won 1 of those games since 2003, it does merit some consideration. For whatever reason, the Steelers just seem to have the Browns number and I'm sure it's going to be a mental hurdle for the Browns. Winning 1 game in a season would help them....sweeping both games would really put them on the map IMO.

With that said, there's no doubt the Browns are improving. At the same time, I think the Steelers are regressing (especially on the OLINE) or standing pat in some areas. The AFC North is a pretty tight division so nothing would surprise me.

Like EG mentioned, both teams have ridiculously difficult schedules this year so it's going to be interesting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »