Home

Nfl Draft: Winners and Losers

This is a discussion on Nfl Draft: Winners and Losers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #25
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Nfl Draft: Winners and Losers

Titans get Andre Woolfolk out of the legendary 2003 CB class. Definitely losers with that one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #26
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The C
2003 Cleveland Browns my take:

1st- Jeff Faine. Good center for everyone but us. Now is being paid huge money by the Bucs. Way to go, Butch Davis!

2nd- Chaun Thompson- Was pretty much a project coming out of a DII school and was taken too high by Davis. He is okay depth for the Browns but never really mattered. Way to go, Butch Davis!

3rd- Chris Crocker- Sucked and was traded to the Falcons were he continued to suck. Way to go, Butch Davis!

4th- Lee Suggs- Was okay but was incredibly injury prone. I believe he has washed out of the league. Way to go, Butch Davis!

5th- Ryan Pointbrand- Highest Drafted long snapper ever!!!! Just made the Pro-bowl as well. Way to go Butch Davis?

5th second pick- Michael Lehan- was pretty much a depth guy. Now plays in Miami. Way to go, Butch Davis?

6th- Antonio Garay- Never even heard of him. Gonna say he is terrible anyway because I feel like it. Way to go, Butch Davis!
Hey that was a great draft for us, Butch got us quite possibly the best long snapper in NFL history! Ryan Pontbriand made the first of what will likely be many pro bowl appearances this season and hes on the fast track to being a first ballot hall of fame long snaper. Any time you have a draft where you get a guy who could be the greatest ever at his position by the time its all said and done I think you have to consider it a success.

That said how awful was that draft for us? Pontbriand is the only one still on the team, Thompson is a FA and we offered him a contract but hes visiting the Texans right now so next season we'll have 1 or 2 guys from this draft on our roster still.

Our drafting as a whole since our return (prior to Savage arriving has been awful though):

1999 - No players from that draft left on our roster
2000- No players from that draft left on our roster
2001 - No players from that draft left on our roster
2002 - Only Andra Davis remains on our roster
2003 - Only Pontrbiand and maybe Thompson if he resigns

That is just awful drafting, especially considering our picks were all relatively early in the first round, 2 #1 overalls and #3 overall and nothing to show for them.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Raiders blew that draft. Nnamdi, Williams, and Brayton are the only ones left on the team and Nnamdi is the only worth anything.

My Video Game Streams
Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
Raiders blew that draft. Nnamdi, Williams, and Brayton are the only ones left on the team and Nnamdi is the only worth anything.
Didn't Brayton go to the Panthers?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #29
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Titans get Andre Woolfolk out of the legendary 2003 CB class. Definitely losers with that one.

at this point that draft was useless for us lol. calico after tat, brown after that. pretty much a horrific draft for us that year.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #30
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Dallas Cowboys:

CB Terence Newman: solid starting corner, made Pro Bowl this past season
C Al Johnson: backup center for the better part of his tenure in Dallas, now with New Orleans (I think)
TE Jason Witten: arguably the best tight end in the NFC
LB Bradie James: present starter at inside linebacker
CB B.J. Tucker: ...he was my kick returner on Madden at one point...
WR Zuriel Smith: probably out of the league
OL Justin Bates: probably out of the league

S Keith Davis: undrafted; special teams ace, now with Miami
QB Tony Romo: undrafted; savior of all things Cowboys

A++ due to the acquisition of Romo. Seriously though, four quality starters and two part-time backups is pretty good; particularly getting good players out of the early picks is important.
1st . CB Terence Newman . A
Made Pro Bowl finally, well-deserved of the Pro Bowl. Not really a shutdown cornerback but as close as you can get to one. When he's hurt, the Cowboys pass defense is horrible and when you factor Roy Williams into the equation, we're really motherlovin horrible to watch. He's the only defensive back we have that we can rely on to do his job and to do it well.

2nd . C Al Johnson . B-
He's actually the starting center for the mighty Arizona Cardinals. Of course, that was his role last season and as you well know, time changes everything. I think his job is safe for now over in the desert because Arizona feels they have other problems.

3rd . TE Jason Witten . A+
Started out slow but that was because Old Man Parcells decided to help him out by starting awesome-man Dan Campbell. That appears to have paid off for Witten. I agree with that move because who know if we would have the Witten we have today had Parcells decided to start him his rookie season.

4th . LB Bradie James . B+
Solid linebacker though not spectacular. He does his job well but he does not force opposing offenses to change their gameplans. He's a good leader on a team that desires leadership. I still wish we had Dat Nguyen instead but Bradie James is a nice substitute.

6th . CB B.J. Tucker . D-
Out of the league. I loved his speed but he was never going to have a future because if I remember correctly, he couldn't cover the broad side of a barn with red paint if he was a 40' roller brush. He lacked intelligence for lack of a better term. I think he might've had a very short stint with the Atlanta Falcons at one time but I've probably got the wrong team in mind.

6th . WR/KR Zuriel Smith . D+
He was fun to watch and he was the small school prospect that I was pulling for out of the Cowboys draft (not including Tony Romo because he wasn't drafted like Zuriel). Unfortunatly he never really amounted to much and soon found himself, I think, trying out for the New England Patriots but apparently never donned the uniform.

7th . G Justin Bates . F-
Had potential, which is obvious because otherwise he never would have been drafted. As you can see, potential can only carry you so far. I remember Bates being in the draft. I remember Bates being drafted. However, I do not remember Bates ever donning the star on his helmet because it was in Parcells' first season and players/rookies had to earn their stars. I think he might've been listed as a Cowboy for the season but never saw playing time.

OVERALL DRAFT GRADE: A-
I gave them an A- because of their Day One and First Pick on Day Two. On Day One they landed two pro bowl players in Newman and Witten, though being voted to the Pro Bowl does not quantify their actual impact they have with the Cowboys' success. They drafted Al Johnson because at the time Andre Gurode was listed at guard and Parcells was moving him back to his natural position but he still needed another center to either push him or take the job. Obviously Al Johnson never lived up to the billing here which much can be said about Gurode's impact on the Cowboys' offensive line success. I did not give them an A or A+ because we let Johnson go for nothing. He's now starting for the Cardinals and was actually a vital piece to their continued improvement over in the desert. As for Bradie James, he did receive some hype because he was a cog in the LSU Defense and for the most part he has been solid for the Cowboys' defense. Just like Dat Nguyen, our former defensive leader, Bradie James can usually be found near the ball on most plays but his weakest link is his coverage skills which have been exploited time and time again, especially when he and Roy Williams are working together to stop the tight end. Like most drafts, Day Two is a crapshoot. You keep throwing until something sticks. A fantastic grab on the second day will usually offset bad Day Ones but a bad Day Two will only have a mild effect on a good Day One. In the Cowboys case of their 2003 Draft Class, their Day Two was bad with the exception of Bradie James but considering they found three starters on Day One, two of which are considered one of the elite at their positions, the Cowboys definatly deserve the A- that I awarded.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #31
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Didn't Brayton go to the Panthers?
Then I stand corrected. We have two players on the roster from the class. Actually, I have to wonder if Sam Williams is still there too.

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #32
Pro

Hootiefish's Arena

OVR: 11

Way to go Steve Spurrier!

The 'Skins have two whole picks in the entire draft, and what do we do? We take Taylor Jacobs 10 spots ahead of Anquan Boldin!

That being said, Dockery wasn't a bad late round pick-up. He would still be a Redskin had the Bills not offered him an obscene amount of money last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »