Home

Why is the NFL sweeping the Spygate ordeal under the rug?

This is a discussion on Why is the NFL sweeping the Spygate ordeal under the rug? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
Why is the NFL sweeping the Spygate ordeal under the rug?

To me, it kills the integrity of the game. Why did they destory those tapes, and have such a "o well" attitude when ever more tapes were found? Why did BB and the team just get away with a slap on the wrists, while the instances where they cheated practically led them to their Superbowls? Thats bull**** how the evidence shows that they have been cheating for years, and it seems like nobody cares.

Its almost like saying if I cheat on tests in school, and noone knows until senior year, that I earned my diploma. I think that the NFL destroying the tapes and sweeping everything under the rug hurts me as a fan. It almost makes me angry.

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Why is the NFL sweeping the Spygate ordeal under the rug?

Is this a serious question?

It seems to me that it's pretty obvious why the NFL is sweeping it under the rug.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

There are two reasons why the NFL is sweeping it under the rug, one of which would be even more damaging to the league if it's true.

1) The Patriots may be the most blatant but every team in the league breaks the unwritten (and sometimes written) rules of fair play and if they went full bore against the Pats then it'll open up the door for wider scrutiny of every other team in the league.

2) The NFL doesn't want to admit that the squeaky clean image that they've fashioned for itselt is just a crock of poo. Goodell and the owners don't want to go back and rewrite history because one team cheated so blatantly. (even though they should) I'm starting to come around to Greg Easterbrook's opinion that if the league were really serious about image and the integrity of the game then BB should be suspended, not just for a couple games but possibly a year or more.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I had heard that Green Bay had made video taping allegations against the Pats in '06.....That one was swept under the rug by Tagliabue (sp?). This one was not.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

15-0 after spy gate. Sour grapes from losing teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

I really think in the long run it hurts their image more because its pretty obvious that there is a good bit of stuff they aren't telling us, and they are making it seem like the news tapes are no big deal. That hurts the integrity to me. It basically says, we punished you for one offense, but even though we found seven more of the same, lets all forget about it.

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Old 05-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta95
To me, it kills the integrity of the game. Why did they destory those tapes, and have such a "o well" attitude when ever more tapes were found? Why did BB and the team just get away with a slap on the wrists, while the instances where they cheated practically led them to their Superbowls? Thats bull**** how the evidence shows that they have been cheating for years, and it seems like nobody cares.

Its almost like saying if I cheat on tests in school, and noone knows until senior year, that I earned my diploma. I think that the NFL destroying the tapes and sweeping everything under the rug hurts me as a fan. It almost makes me angry.
I agree,I think Goddell's worst mistake was destroying the first set of tapes.Most people feel if he destroyed the evidence before anyone else could view them he must be hiding something.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I think these things need to be dealt with swiftly.

One thing about the baseball steroids issue we can see is that stats have dropped dramatically simply from the new fear of players that they could potentially be embarassed like clemens for example, so I would argue that the result of dealing with it may not stop the rule breaking while it's happening, but it it's preventative because of the fear of looking like a sham.

So for football, the more bad press for the pats cheating; the better it is for scaring other teams and detering them from cheating....but it really hurts the cause when the comish helping the cheaters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »