Home

Barry Sanders: The Best Halfback Ever

This is a discussion on Barry Sanders: The Best Halfback Ever within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #65
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: Barry Sanders: The Best Halfback Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by drglfr
Definitely the greatest runner of all time HANDS DOWN.

Why does everyone sweat Jim Brown? Wasn't he bigger than the average linebacker. No wonder he dominated. A man amongst boys.
So nobody should give props to Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaq because they were bigger than every damn body.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 9

living here in michigan he was the only reason to watch lions football when he retired it was like someone died
Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
So nobody should give props to Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaq because they were bigger than every damn body.
I wouldn't put Jabbar in with Wilt and Shaq. Jabbar had talent and didn't have to rely solely on his size. Wilt had nobody that was even close to his size. He dominated because he was just bigger than everybody else until Russell came along and from what I hear, Russell owned wilt back in the day. Shaq is nothing but a big oaf. He clogs the middle because of his size and muscles people out of his way and dunks. He can't shoot or rap. Wayyyyyy overated. So yeah, I would give them no props.

Brown just ran over guys that were smaller. Jim Brown was the size of DL trapped in a RB body. Of course he dominated.

Jim Brown, was the best actor of his time. On every play it would take 3-4-5-6 guys to bring him down. Then he would pretend to be in pain. Get up slowly and barely make the huddle, and then, they would give him the ball, and he run over people all over again.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #68
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

So if it's that easy why weren't coaches giving their offensive linemen the ball?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #69
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I wouldn't put Jabbar in with Wilt and Shaq. Jabbar had talent and didn't have to rely solely on his size. Wilt had nobody that was even close to his size. He dominated because he was just bigger than everybody else until Russell came along and from what I hear, Russell owned wilt back in the day. Shaq is nothing but a big oaf. He clogs the middle because of his size and muscles people out of his way and dunks. He can't shoot or rap. Wayyyyyy overated. So yeah, I would give them no props.

Brown just ran over guys that were smaller. Jim Brown was the size of DL trapped in a RB body. Of course he dominated.

Jim Brown, was the best actor of his time. On every play it would take 3-4-5-6 guys to bring him down. Then he would pretend to be in pain. Get up slowly and barely make the huddle, and then, they would give him the ball, and he run over people all over again.
Don't wanna turn this into a basketball thread but you're a bit off. Wilt was an amazing athlete for his size. Yes, he was taller than everyone else but he was also probably faster, stronger and could jump higher. Wilt wouldn't have scored 100 in today's game but he would've done ok and that's saying alot. Russell didn't "own" him but he did pretty good against him but we are talking about a HOFer in Russell.

As much as I hate Shaq, you're wrong on him too. Shaq is at the end of his career and it's a shame his game hasn't evolved but he also came into the league with unreal athletic ability for a guy his size. Shaq ran the floor well, had pretty quick feet and could also dribble pretty well for a guy his size. He's still one of the best passing centers (passing skills and good court vision).

Bringing it back on topic, they are like Jim Brown in that they weren't only bigger than anyone else but they were at least as athletic as everyone else at that size. That's what made them special.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #70
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:

Wow...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Wow...
Thats all you got? What, too much logic for you to handle? At least wwharton had something intelligent to say.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #72
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Definitely the greatest runner of all time HANDS DOWN.

Why does everyone sweat Jim Brown? Wasn't he bigger than the average linebacker. No wonder he dominated. A man amongst boys.
I think that you are forgetting that not only was Jim Brown bigger than a bunch of Linebackers he was also faster and more athletic than most players at that time Defense or otherwise. Brown could run over you or around you and he had a sneaky elusiveness that helped him to stay for the most part injury free for the majority of his career. browns speed to strenght and size ratio is comparable to top backs in this day and age.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »