Home

Jaguars @ Colts

This is a discussion on Jaguars @ Colts within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Jaguars @ Colts

Thats just it, He did not stop, he was there first, kinda in a zone. Offensive player ran right into him. This is not interference. Both have a right to the ball, so clearly the defender is allowed to be there. You can find the rule here, in black in white.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference
If anything, it should of been offensive interference.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

If the defender was going for the ball, like Mathis did after the hold, then I would of had no problem. Garrard threw it behind the defender, so he wasn't going for the ball. The defender can stop the WR if and only if he is going for the ball.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #51
Rookie

Here is some highlights I captured with my digital cam. Its not all that great, but you can see the play in discussion, so you are not left in the dark. Fast forward to the 1:58 mark, if you want to see the play in discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIegxMm2VE

Here's the thing. They got it wrong either way. If its Illegal contact, that is a 5 yard penalty. The penalty ended up being 11 yards. It definably was not Pass Interference, as the defender looked surprised when the receiver ran into him. This is called inadvertent contact, and no flag is supposed to be thrown.

Then the other issue. The ball was thrown behind both of the players. It was not going to be caught even if no contact was made, as the receiver ran the wrong route. The receiver had started to go up the field, so that left the defender to cover the guy in the flats, which he was starting to do, when the receiver decided to cut inside. The ball had been thrown, and you can tell the QB was also anticipating the receiver to continue up field, as the ball was thrown in that direction, and not to the inside. You can see this a 2:09-2:11 in the clip. So a error on the receiver and QB.

They even got the spot of the foul wrong. They called PI, so the ball is supposed to be placed at the spot of the foul. It happens at the 35/36 yard line, but they place the ball at the 41.

Of all things, the Colts had started to celebrate, when the flag was thrown 10 seconds or so after the play had ended. Look at the side judge at end of the play, he is not even reaching for a flag, and begins to walk away.

Now if they had been calling the game this way all game, I would not complain. But there were several questionable PI calls in the game, most notably the one that was a pick6, where the flag was not thrown (and they don't show the up close slowmo in sportscenter). Heck, Walt Coleman, has a whole page dedicated to his bad calls, with quotes from all associated press. Yet, this guy still has a job.
http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/...ltcoleman.html

Now I know you do not agree with me even though I have provided the evidence and all you have provided is your input, but we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Taken83oveR; 09-22-2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: forgot link
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken83oveR
Here is some highlights I captured with my digital cam. Its not all that great, but you can see the play in discussion, so you are not left in the dark. Fast forward to the 1:58 mark, if you want to see the play in discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIegxMm2VE

Here's the thing. They got it wrong either way. If its Illegal contact, that is a 5 yard penalty. The penalty ended up being 11 yards. It definably was not Pass Interference, as the defender looked surprised when the receiver ran into him. This is called inadvertent contact, and no flag is supposed to be thrown.

Then the other issue. The ball was thrown behind both of the players. It was not going to be caught even if no contact was made, as the receiver ran the wrong route. The receiver had started to go up the field, so that left the defender to cover the guy in the flats, which he was starting to do, when the receiver decided to cut inside. The ball had been thrown, and you can tell the QB was also anticipating the receiver to continue up field, as the ball was thrown in that direction, and not to the inside. You can see this a 2:09-2:11 in the clip. So a error on the receiver and QB.

They even got the spot of the foul wrong. They called PI, so the ball is supposed to be placed at the spot of the foul. It happens at the 35/36 yard line, but they place the ball at the 41.

Of all things, the Colts had started to celebrate, when the flag was thrown 10 seconds or so after the play had ended. Look at the side judge at end of the play, he is not even reaching for a flag, and begins to walk away.

Now if they had been calling the game this way all game, I would not complain. But there were several questionable PI calls in the game, most notably the one that was a pick6, where the flag was not thrown (and they don't show the up close slowmo in sportscenter). Heck, Walt Coleman, has a whole page dedicated to his bad calls, with quotes from all associated press. Yet, this guy still has a job.
http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/...ltcoleman.html

Now I know you do not agree with me even though I have provided the evidence and all you have provided is your input, but we can agree to disagree.
Well, I think you basically shut it down.......I agree with you by the way.....Both of those calls were horrible and a huge impact on the game.......But the Colts should've stopped the run but that game was over on that 4th and 1.....Everybody I saw on TV said it was a horrible call(the ones who actually commented on it.) The receiver ran right into the DB lol.....Then the Jags got very lucky on the pass were Garrard got hit. He was throwing to the left and the ball went completely to the right to a Jags receiver, lol....Damn.....I was watching the game and I was like, can a team get any luckier at the end of the game?

I expected Scobee to make that FG......I think he beat the Colts like that last year or the year before....
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #53
Rookie

Yea, once the Jags got to the 35, I new it was over. That's why I was so upset with the penalty. Colts definably better take advantage of the Bye week, and work on stopping the run. But to the Jags/Vikings credit, that is what they do well.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #54
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

People questioned Sanders being the defensive player of the year... still? Remember how horrible the colts run d was the last time he was hurt? He comes back right before the playoffs and they look like one of the best run defenses in the league. Sanders goes down again and the run d looks like garbage again. I actually think it's almost a bigger surprise that the Colts kept the game as close as they did with oline issues and not stopping the run of a team like the jags.

The Colts will be fine. They won't be dominant this year but I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs by any means. They just need important players to get to 100% (Sanders, Manning, Saturday... Addai, Freeney, Harrison, Clark).
Old 09-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #55
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Still don't know how he won it either. And yes, I already know the "when he played, the Colts Run D was good and when he wasn't in, it was garbage" phrase. But I still wouldn't have gave it to him that year. Product of the system, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #56
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I'd say the same thing about the "product of the system" phrase. Bush, for example, is perfect for the system he's in. Priest Holmes was a decent RB in Baltimore but was perfect for KC's system. Adalius Thomas is a monster of a defensive player but would he be as good if he only played LB or DE? Good thing he's been in 2 systems that utilize him in multiple ways... you get what I'm saying. I'd say he played the role he was given as well, if not better, than anyone else on D played their role and showed how important that was to the team (and still is apparently). I got no problem giving him his props.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »