Home

So who fills the void in the AFC?

This is a discussion on So who fills the void in the AFC? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23
So who fills the void in the AFC?

Well, the usual suspects, at least so far, haven't been much of a factor in the AFC race: the Dolphins completely demolished the Patriots and exposed their defense as both slow and old (you think they miss Samuel already?), not to mention proved that Cassell has to do more than just manage games, the Colts seem to be on the decline and could have the season get away from them if Manning doesn't find his rhythm, and Jacksonville and San Diego have had slow starts to the season.

As for the current contenders and unbeatens, the Broncos can put up 40 points on anyone, but can also give up that many (not to mention were a blown call and a missed FG away from a 1-2 start). Tennessee plays great defense and runs the ball well, but is quarterbacked by Kerry Collins. Buffalo was pushed around for a while against Oakland, but could easily start 5-0 before their Week 6 bye.

Who's the top AFC team this year?

EDIT: I didn't even remember to mention the Steelers, who were blasted by a Westbrook-less Eagles team. I considered them favorites after last week, but the protection of Big Ben was laughable. They're going nowhere if they continue to block like that. Mark another AFC contender with huge question marks.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 09-22-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: So who fills the void in the AFC?

I honestly don't think you can point out one team. Every single team has shown a significant weakness.

I think Bills, Broncos and Titans are certainly looking the best so far, with the Ravens flying under the radar.

I still confident that the Patriots can win the division/reach the playoffs, but if they play defense like they did today then it'll be very difficult. They'll have to open the playbook for Cassel and have him make some plays. 6 catches in two weeks is unacceptable for Moss. Gotta get him involved.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman
I honestly don't think you can point out one team. Every single team has shown a significant weakness.
Yep. The changing of the guard of conference supremacy has come unbelievably quickly and drastically.

Honestly, it's not even close anymore. Just compare the top 3 teams of each conference based upon the current standings. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Green Bay are ALOT better than Denver, Buffalo, and Tennessee.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicoleman

I think Bills, Broncos and Titans are certainly looking the best so far, with the Ravens flying under the radar.

I still confident that the Patriots can win the division/reach the playoffs, but if they play defense like they did today then it'll be very difficult. They'll have to open the playbook for Cassel and have him make some plays. 6 catches in two weeks is unacceptable for Moss. Gotta get him involved.
Hey Eli, I just realized your a Pats fan and a Yanks fan...how did that happen!?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

I think it'll be the Chargers in the end. Maybe the Broncos, but that's a big maybe.

The Colts, Jags, Bills, Titans, Steelers, Pats, and Ravens all have significant issues.

I only see the Chargers being able to heal their warts and put a fully effective team together. Broncos still look a little young to be ready yet, but you never know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #6

elicoleman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Hey Eli, I just realized your a Pats fan and a Yanks fan...how did that happen!?
Dad grew up a Yanks fan so I always just latched on since I was a kid.

I started to latch on to the Skins but saw a few games of Bledsoe back in 1995 and became a Patriots fan. Been a Yanks/Pats fan ever since.

I figure being from a town with no pro sports teams growing up, I had to reach out of market.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #7

elicoleman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
I think it'll be the Chargers in the end. Maybe the Broncos, but that's a big maybe.

The Colts, Jags, Bills, Titans, Steelers, Pats, and Ravens all have significant issues.

I only see the Chargers being able to heal their warts and put a fully effective team together. Broncos still look a little young to be ready yet, but you never know.
And the craziest thing about that is the Chargers are 0-2. Goes to show you how crazy the AFC has been in just three weeks.

Chargers could easily be 2-0 though. It's hard to count out any team with Rivers/LT/Gates.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

If the Chargers don't get somewhat healthy soon they are done. Problem is Gates probably won't be 100% until next year, and LT looks like he's running out of tread on the tires. Really would like to have Michael Turner back now.

I think in the end Pittsburgh or Indy will end up being the best team in the AFC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »