Home

Why the insane drop off in Chargers D?

This is a discussion on Why the insane drop off in Chargers D? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Why the insane drop off in Chargers D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You gotta love watching the guy AJ rode out of town because of his ego, absolutely abusing the Chargers defense this last weekend as well. While I like Rivers and he's come a long way, he can't hold Drew Brees' jock.
Have to disagree with you. Rivers makes some throws that Brees could never make (not even in his dreams). Passes down the field right on the money against tight coverage, beautiful to see! I take Rivers over Brees any day.

Brees looked great on Sunday because Cottrell played right into his hands. No pass rush + zone defense = Brees destroying you 100% of the time. If you force Brees to throw against tight coverage, his accuracy and completion % go way down.

Don't get me wrong, Brees is good, but he is not great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacocortez
Have to disagree with you. Rivers makes some throws that Brees could never make (not even in his dreams). Passes down the field right on the money against tight coverage, beautiful to see! I take Rivers over Brees any day.

Brees looked great on Sunday because Cottrell played right into his hands. No pass rush + zone defense = Brees destroying you 100% of the time. If you force Brees to throw against tight coverage, his accuracy and completion % go way down.

What throws exactly can Brees not dream of making that Rivers can? He throws the deep comeback from the oppo hash. He throws that inside seam vs. Cover 2. What throws exactly can Brees not make? You're buying in to being a Charger fan first, and being realistic second. There's no throw Rivers can make Brees can't, and Brees has proven that time, and time again.

Brees has been doing to everyone he's played agains, what he did against us. You're drinking the AJ Koolaide if you think Rivers does anything better than Brees, other than being tall. Brees is also better at moving in the pocket, elongating plays, and knowing when to give up on a play.

If you put a pass rush and force ANY QB to throw in to tight coverage their accuracy and passing completion % will go way down. That's not a Brees only thing. Brees has been killing people since 2004, and he's only gotten better. AJ made a huge mistake in letting him go for nothing, and of the two QB's we are left with the 2nd best one, and it's not close.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
You and BK are both wrong. Brees and Rivers are both excellent quarterbacks and arguably in the top 5 right now. Brees might have a slight advantage, but he has also started a couple of more years.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelverin
You and BK are both wrong. Brees and Rivers are both excellent quarterbacks and arguably in the top 5 right now. Brees might have a slight advantage, but he has also started a couple of more years.

They are both very good QB's, but Brees has been superior this year, last year, and every year they've both played. This is Rivers 3rd year as a starter the excuse about experience is no longer valid. Rivers is a fine, fine QB, but that was a wasted draft pick, and a the fact we got nothing more than a compensatory pick in return for Brees falls on AJ.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Rivers is a fine, fine QB, but that was a wasted draft pick
Wasted draft pick, oh well!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelverin
Me, wrong??!! But seriously, I did say that Brees is a good QB.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #31
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Wasted draft pick, oh well!
Certainly it was. We already had our QB. Could have used that pick on a position of need.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
They are both very good QB's, but Brees has been superior this year, last year, and every year they've both played. This is Rivers 3rd year as a starter the excuse about experience is no longer valid. Rivers is a fine, fine QB, but that was a wasted draft pick, and a the fact we got nothing more than a compensatory pick in return for Brees falls on AJ.
I still think it's too early to judge, but so far it looks like we should have kept Bree's and went another direction with that pick. You are correct. I know AJ wanted him out of here, and Bree's getting hurt sure made it easy for him.

When both of their career's are over we will have a much better idea of who was right/wrong, so far it has turned out great for everyone involved. It's an interesting story and promises to be for many years to come.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »