Home

So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft?

This is a discussion on So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft?

Michael Oher or Andre Smith

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
My question about the Lions. Are they one player away from being competitive? Short answer no. So my mind set would be trade down and acquire picks. THe problem is I've read that this is going to be a weak draft class. Obviously they want a QB. I'm of the mindset that Mark Sanchez will be there next year, he may be a quality prospect. He is at least at USC running a pro style offense against a defense that is loaded with NFL talent and coached by arguable the best coach in college football in Carroll. I'm no expert but I think the lions should trade down and get new people in there. Turn the roster over. Bring in Parcells and let him rebuild the team.

Except being the complete clowns that they are, they've already promoted from within and named a GM.

Yes, an 0-16 team just PROMOTED a guy to general manager.

So no, Parcells won't be coming in.

And like C basically said, it's virtually impossible to get an equal value trade for the #1 pick anymore. And they can't take a QB. They just can't.

Smith has to be the guy.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 20

Actually, wasn't the eli deal the last time a #1 was traded, I know it was after he had been picked but it was prearranged before the draft. That had a lot of underlying factors though that I don't see being present here. Anyway, that said, the only player I see who could build enough hype to get any decent offer at a trade for #1 is tebow and there are only a couple teams dumb enough to buy into that hype. One real problem there is that oakland already has there QB and so they will be tougher to convince.

If they can pull off a reasonable trade I would say go for it, but I doubt they can. That being the case you pretty much have to go for Andre, their OLine needs the help, there isnt a QB out there that I would throw a top pick at and if they want to draft a qb I would say their pick from dallas would be as early as I would start looking if I was them.

As much as they love WRs with calvin there as a 1 I say stick with that and try to find a solid 2 elsewhere, At RB they have smith who had a solid year all things considered and it is tough for me to endorse a #1 pick on a RB due to them having the shortest lifespan and with a number 1 you need someone to build around. You can often get better value in later rounds at RB. Also, there isnt anyone out there that spectacular that I have seen as a RB.

As far as the QB situation and the mentioned trade for anderson, he is not nearly as good as the hype that surrounds him. He was great for less than one season. He really wasn't even that good the last few games last year, everyone just overlooked that because they were blinded by the success of his first few games. That instant success often happens when average or less QBs get a chance for a year. Team started figuring him out though and he struggled
Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

Not only should the first pick, but EVERY SINGLE PICK needs to go to the defense. Who? WHO F'ING CARES!!! Build a team defense first, from the Line up. every. single. pick. D-FENCE
Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

I agree with trading down, if possible. The Lions already have 3 picks in the top 33, I'd like to see 4 or so.

They need to address two large issues on D: defensive line and the secondary. While I believe Ernie Sims to be somewhat of a bust (he can't tackle and takes terrible angles), I think if they could pick up a linebacker in free agency or in the 3rd or 4th round that would be an adequate bookend for Sims in a 3-4.

I don't think they should spend all the picks on defense. Offensive line is a big issue, so if they take Andre with the #1 pick I won't be upset.

They need another WR, which they can get in the 5th or 6th. Someone with decent speed but more of a possession guy. While a couple of the guys off the street weren't bad, they weren't NFL caliber 2nd receivers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #22
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: So who do the Lions pick with the first pick in the 2009 Draft?

Large 250- to 270-pound linebackers with d-linemen rush skills are required to play an effective 3-4 defense, and this Lions team doesn't have any LBs who currently fits these descriptions. Nor does this team have a pair of big 290-300 pound defensive ends who are extremely stout at the point of attack against the run, or that one huge 320+ pound nose tackle in the middle to occupy multiple blockers which is the primary component. The Lions need to find a defensive-minded coach who can implement a 4-3 defense with an aggressive scheme based on bringing pressure from many different angles from fast yet smallish players.

I think the linebacker group has been more of a problem than the secondary. You're mostly right about the flaws of Ernie Sims in that he misses a lot of tackles and tends to overpursue, but I think he'll be alright and play much better alongside a capable middle linebacker who is a dependable run stopper and doesn't embarass himself in pass coverage. Maybe Jordon Dizon can develop into that type of player, but even with Dizon in the fold the Lions still need to consider drafting another MLB or somehow acquiring one through free agency. (I really don't expect any FAs wanting to sign with a team who just went 0-16 this past season.) The SLB position must be addressed as well.

At any rate, this team has safeties like Daniel Bullocks and Kalvin Pearson who play well inside the box, but unfortunately these guys aren't lined up here often because the team was content on running a Tampa 2 scheme majority of the time. As a result, this scheme failed to take advantage of their strength. Gerald Alexander is the Lions best cover safety and he was lost for the season since October. This team could definitely use a top tier cornerback prospect who can cover and also not afraid to stick his nose in and be a factor in run support. However, I think Leigh Bodden is a good player capable of starting despite giving up that long touchdown against the Packers which made him look bad. Bodden plays very well when he's asked to put his hands on a receiver playing Man/Press coverage throughout a play, but that's not a likely scenario when playing the Tampa 2 majority of the time. Again, playing in a scheme that failed to take maximum advantage of what's probably a certain player's biggest strength.

And I don't think the Lions needs to worry about acquiring any WRs this offseason as this is one position that needs no tinkering once Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald are healthy. Just get John Standeford and Keary Colbert more familiar with the offense and this group should be fine.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 12-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

They should trade down for more picks they need like 25 replacements on that team. They have no chance at all with that current mix of garbage.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 29

It seems to me that the Lions need a draft that will turn heads, IN A GOOD WAY FOR ONCE.

Get some players that people will pay attention to. Smith is a no-brainer but I think Sanchez being from USC will get the Lions some free publicity out west. SC QBs always seem to brighten the outlook for a team initially. (See Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, etc.)

Then if possible, try to get a player that will make ESPN's Top Ten Plays every week... Percy Harvin. Depending on where you look (I just went to walterfootball.com) Harvin is a second round pick in some circles.

Andre Smith (OT - BAMA)
Mark Sanchez (QB - USC)
Percy Harvin (WR/KR/PR)

That said.

I agree with the above poster that Defense is most important. But the inability to score any points is what leads most teams to a Top 10 pick. See Cleveland.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »