Home

Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year

This is a discussion on Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Matt Ryan in a Landslide for AP Rook of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn
Or the flipside is, they looked at the choices and, like many people on this board who probably watch more football than these voters, decided that Ryan was the obvious choice. Goes both ways.
Keep assuming the best. I'm sure there was some obvious reason why the Sooners were voted higher than Texas.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #50
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Matt Ryan I believe, is only the 2nd rookie QB ever to surpass 3,000 yards passing. He had better stats all around than Joe Flacco. In the end, I feel the voters felt Matt Ryan probably meant the most to his team throughout the entire season. Thus awarding him the Rookie of the Year. Not saying Flacco, Slaton, Forte, or Johnson didn't mean alot to their respected teams throughout the season. But without Matt Ryan, the Falcons more than likely wouldn't be 11-5 and in the playoffs.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 8

I think he deserves it more than anyone else.
Pacers/Heat
Michigan

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #52
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
3 things in life: truth, lies & statistics

Ryan QB rating: 87.7
Flacco QB rating: 80.3

Rivers was number 1 in rating, Peyton 5th. But the gap between the 2 is wider than the one between Ryan & Flacco.

I have no 1st hand knowledge of what went into the voters thinking. All I have is my gut. And when I see that Slaton & Flacco didn't even get a vote & Forte only one, it tells me some people didn't do their homework.
It's an entire media conspiracy to make an Atlanta Falcon ROY. Everyone knows it. You are just the only guy with a great enough "gut" that will actually call them out. Well done.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
It's an entire media conspiracy to make an Atlanta Falcon ROY. Everyone knows it. You are just the only guy with a great enough "gut" that will actually call them out. Well done.
When you're finished being a smart alec, go back & show where I claim a media conspiracy. I said the voters just rubber stamped the selection.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
you act like you have first hand knowledge on the voters not thinking for them selves.

Ryan is #11 in the league in QB Rating
Flacco is #22 in the league (out of 32 teams)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2008
Again, there was a 7 game stretch towards the end of the season where Flacco was statistically better than any qb in the NFL, throwing 11 td's and 2 int's with a qb rating of 99. He struggled early on in the season and that is why his season stats don't seem that impressive. The kid has come together and looks like an elite qb this time of the year. I still think Ryan was more deserving of the award, but it is alot closer than the stats indicate.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #55
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

IMO: When you look at expectations/numbers, I think Ryan is the clear winner. Quarterback is considered to the be not only the face of the franchise, but the leader of the team as well. Pretty much everyone knows the running back position is pretty interchangeable from year to year (sans stars like LT and AP). Therefore, I think as good of years as Slaton and Forte have, in my eyes as well as Flacco and Ryan played they should really be the only considered. Plus, they are QB's who lead their team to the playoffs while Slaton's and Forte's teams are sitting at home.

Nevertheless, look at the numbers:

Matt Ryan: 87.7 QB Rating, 17 Total TD's, 11 Int's, 3440 Passing Yards
Joe Flacco: 80.3 QB Rating, 16 Total TD's, 12 Int's, 2971 Passing Yards

Edge - Ryan

Against Playoff Teams:

Matt Ryan (3-2): 5 TD's, 2 Int's
Joe Flacco (2-5): 5 TD's, 9 Int's

Edge - Ryan

Plus, and this is strictly my opinion, every time I watched a Falcons game or saw highlights, Ryan was the guy making the crucial play in critical situations. Not taking anything away from Flacco, but the Ravens D were always the catalysts in making that play to secure the W.

Taking everything into account...better stats in a tougher division, better play against playoff teams, and making big plays down the stretch, its easy to vote for Ryan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #56
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I said the voters just rubber stamped the selection.
How do you know this? Do you have inside information? Sorry, but your "gut" means nothing. Because Flacco didn't get a vote? What motivation would they have for just rubber stamping an Atlanta Falcon as ROY? No logic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »