Home

Anyone else feelin' like me?

This is a discussion on Anyone else feelin' like me? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
MVP

colkilla's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Anyone else feelin' like me?

man, when my team is out of it, and usually it is early, i just want to fall asleep and wakeup to have the season be over. i love football, but the passion kinda is gone once my team is eliminated. i will still get up for the superbowl and stuff but i just want it to end, get past the pro bowl and head towards the draft to get the bad taste out of my mouth over the way this season ended...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

When My team is out then I like the team with the best story or the most compelling players.

It kinda should be Warner and the Cards but I cant get to excited for them for earlier stated reason and I just am not a fan of their current style of football.

The Steelers on the other hand epitomize soo much of what I love about football. Plus I feel like we could be witnessing the birth of a Legend in Big Ben. Who doesnt want that?

I get the feeling that the winning QB in this superbowl cements a hall of fame spot. I cant think of too many QBs with two rings and no HOF bust... Phil Simms?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

Having lived in Arizona all my life, I just wanted to chime in and say that two of the opinions here are correct. While there are a lot of transplants and snow birds and whatnot that live here and love their respective hometown teams. The majority of folks around here Tucson at least, never cared about the Cardinals because they've never been good. The state as a whole is a giant bandwagon jumper. Nobody around here cared about the Diamondbacks, till they made it to and won the world series. Same thing for the Cards here. The only sport we truly seem to support is basketball. Everybody seems to love the Suns. Other than that, nobody cares about the teams here, until they're doing well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 25

The Cardinals organization has made it an impossible team to root for, I can't blame the fans for not getting sucked into Playoff fever initially given that no one thought they should even be there. The team needs to convince its fan base that its for real for them to willingly climb aboard. We saw the same thing with the Rays this past baseball season.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Transplants or not, the 'Backs get 30,000 a game for an 81 game schedule. The Cards get only 40,000 in turnstile attendance for 8 home games (according to the only source I was able to find).
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

They actually interviewed some fans in Phoenix after they beat Carolina and there was one lady in particular who said "Well, they're winning so I figured, why not" that's basically the attitude we have towards our own teams. I don't know a single person from here that is a fan of any professional Arizona team, other than the Suns.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Typically, I'm not going to pull for a team I don't follow based on what their fans do or do not do. I could care less what a fan base does. I'm not suddenly going to transform to a being a redbird fan because of this year. It's only one game and I'd like to see a class guy like Warner grab a ring under these conditions. Plus, it's been so great not having to see his (ex?) wife every 5.3 minutes that the game is on. I'll be pulling for the Cards and at the same time hoping Boldin gets zero catches for zero yards and zero touchdowns...... with maybe 2 drops. I could care less what ownership, management and fans are doing at the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
When I don't have a team in race, I almost always pull for the underdog, the Cinderella, or the team that has never won it before. Arizona fits the bill on all counts.

However, I'm not feeling Arizona. The reason is because I can't get excited for their fans. They haven't been long-suffering. They've been indifferent for this team. First home playoff game since the franchise was in Chicago & they couldn't even sell the tickets. They had a poll on espn.com about which 1st round playoff game was more interesting. Local fans voted for "their" game. But Arizona fans had Atl @ Az a distant 2nd to Indy @ SD.

I get excited for the fans when a team makes an unexpected run. But, and apologies to the few, true, die-hard Cardinal faithful, I don't feel the local fans deserve it. The Cards are their 2nd favorite team to either Dallas or San Diego.

I'm pulling for Pittsburgh. Unless, the Steelers get shafted by the officials like Seattle did in Detroit. Then there would be some justice in the matter. Otherwise, I want the Steelers to win.
Your issue is that you are looking at the situation in a vacuum.

The media pronounced the Cardinals dead before they even took the field against Atlanta. Nearly every outlet questioned whether or not they even belonged in the playoffs, not to mention they were underdogs in every one of their playoff games.

You mention the Dbacks pulling a lot of fans to their games, but they've been a good team and even won a World Series.

I think you should try to take a step back, look at the situation from a different perspective, then reassess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »