Home

Brian Dawkins to Broncos

This is a discussion on Brian Dawkins to Broncos within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Brian Dawkins to Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I must be one of the few people that don't think this move is all that bad.

Yes, Dawkins is the heart and soul of the defense. But if he's not there this coming season, someone else will step up. The defense is young and very good already. You have leaders on that defense who've been with the team and can step up and lead it as well as a Super Bowl winning corner in Samuel. It's not like it was Dawkins and nobody else.

And please, this was not totally the Eagles front office's decision. Dawkins was a free agent. He is the one who signed elsewhere! The Eagles shouldn't be expected to shell out top dollars to a safety who is 35 and aging. He played at a high level last year but how much more can you milk out of him? I'm not quite so sure.

I tend to side with the Eagles front office when things like this happen. How many times have the Eagles cut ties with a player who's getting older and how many times has that player gone to a different team and performed below what he has done previously in his career? Philly is genius in this practice. Now signing players to help out McNabb... not so much. But in this case, I think the Eagles continued their success at evaluating veteran talent.
Many are saying the same thing about Ray Lewis... someone else will "step up". I can't speak as much for Dawkins b/c I don't follow the Eagles as closely, but the Eagles D has been the staple of their team for years and from what I can tell, Dawkins has been the constant over that time. That's what worries me about losing Lewis. There are intangibles that have to come into play that we can't really see until the player is gone. Unfortunately you'll find out soon enough.

By the way, it looks like Samuels may be out the door also. The good news for the Eagles is if they're ok with letting both of these players walk, that'd say to me that they're ready to actually go after one of the big time WRs out there. Looks like Housh's name is off the list but still a couple left. I say they grab Harrison and another decent defender... Leonhard if they can pry him away from the Jets.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

You sure you mean Lito Sheppard and not Asante Samuel?
Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I don't have any definite news but I just read something about Samuels... it was here actually. Wish I could remember where. Maybe the Broncos team thread.

Obviously not something to bank on.

EDIT: just read on nfl.com that the Eagles are about to send Sheppard to the Jets so you were right. That makes more sense to me since they just got Samuels.

Last edited by wwharton; 02-28-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I don't have any definite news but I just read something about Samuels... it was here actually. Wish I could remember where. Maybe the Broncos team thread.

Obviously not something to bank on.

EDIT: just read on nfl.com that the Eagles are about to send Sheppard to the Jets so you were right. That makes more sense to me since they just got Samuels.
Sheppard has been on the block since (1) wanting a new contract, and (2) Being outplayed by Brown and Samuels.

Buy-Bye Lito...As for Dawkins...there isn't anything on ESPN about this deal w/ Denver. Nothing on the NLF page, nothing on either teams page...

The onyl news about an Eagle going to Denver is Correl Buckhalter. I don't follow the Sporting News, so I don't put much stock into their report from the SF Chronicle that Dawkins was on his way to DEN.

I watched NFLN for an hour this morning from 0700-0800 and never was anything mentioned.

I'm starting to question the validity of this Dawkins to Broncos move.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I watched NFLN for an hour this morning from 0700-0800 and never was anything mentioned.

I'm starting to question the validity of this Dawkins to Broncos move.
10am Mountain time it was mentioned on NFLN live cast, said likely to be done sometime today.

EDIT- official, he's signed. On the news ticker. 5 years, $17m ($7.2 mil guaranteed). Reported by Schefter.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/dawk...-with-broncos/

Quote:
Denver signs free agent safety Brian Dawkins to a five-year, $17 million deal that includes $7.2 million guaranteed. The contract also has escalators that could boost the value of the deal to $27 million over five years, but the deal also could be voided to two years, $9 million.

Last edited by av7; 02-28-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #22
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

Five years? Little excessive IMO.

However, Dawkins is probably worth it. He is an absolute beast.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Five years? Little excessive IMO.

However, Dawkins is probably worth it. He is an absolute beast.
I'm sure his health and/or playing time plays in that possible void after 2 years. We've got the cap space and need some veterans that young guys will listen to. Heart was a big issue here.

The lack of safeties this year in the draft probably played a role in this as well. I like the contract.

Last edited by av7; 02-28-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

Dawkins press conference coming up shortly (NFLN atleast)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »