Home

NFL Rules Discussion

This is a discussion on NFL Rules Discussion within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NFL Rules Discussion

First, define cheating. If you do something that's not illegal then it's not cheating. Semantics but you keep using the word (for emphasis I guess) and it doesn't help your point.

How is the QB kneel effecting competitiveness? If it wasn't allowed then they'd just bring in the 3rd string RB, hand the ball off to him and he'd fall waiting for someone to touch him. Why would anyone be "fighting for a 1st down" in a kneel situation?

The reason you can't review judgement calls is bc it won't change anything. No matter what you see, a ref can say that in his opinion it was pass interference. If there were some definite way of saying what PI is then it'd be reviewable. We can disagree with the ref but that's not enough to change his mind... and the call.

Changing the fair catch rule as you want eliminates the possibilities of bobbling or fumbling the ball. Unless you just want to let it roll every time. Can't agree with that bc players WOULD be injured all the time. The difference on a kickoff is the set distance.

It sounds like you want to treat players like you can in Madden to me... these are human beings. They do break.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles

Fair catches/punting out of bounds
:No and no. Fair catching defeats the purpose of catching the ball in the first place. Why not just mark it where it hits the ground? Because that would be stupid and non-competitive. You catch the ball in order to advance it.

Punting out of bounds is like an intentional walk. It's cheating. You have to give the guy a shot at a return. The ball should always be kicked into the field of play. If it goes out of bounds or into endzone it should be a penalty.
Not sure you'll get more returns with these rules. If they can't kick out of bounds, punters will likely add some height and take a little distance off their kicks. For returners who can't fair catch, this will come down to an option of fielding a ball with 2 or 3 defenders poised to take their head off....or letting the ball bounce and maybe go out of bounds resulting in a penatly against the punt team.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles

The QB Kneel
: You should always be trying to advance the ball. This gives the defense the chance to fight back.
I'll be in the minority here, but I actually agree with you on this one. I have never liked the QB kneel. So anticlimatic. I like the Arena Football rule where a team who is winning in the last few minutes has to advance the ball past the line of scrimmage, or the clock stops.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Not sure you'll get more returns with these rules. If they can't kick out of bounds, punters will likely add some height and take a little distance off their kicks. For returners who can't fair catch, this will come down to an option of fielding a ball with 2 or 3 defenders poised to take their head off....or letting the ball bounce and maybe go out of bounds resulting in a penatly against the punt team.
The CFL doesn't have a fair catch rule and it makes for some very exciting special teams plays on kickoffs and punt returns. Of course some of that is due to the size of the CFL field but I think it could work on an American sized field. Of course, knowing how conservative some coaches are you'd probably see the scenario that you're talking about but if that's the case then the NFL would probably put in a rule on kickoffs where they kick it another 10-15 yards back.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I'll be in the minority here, but I actually agree with you on this one. I have never liked the QB kneel. So anticlimatic.
It's supposed to be anti-climatic. That's the point; there's no motivation for the offense to attempt to score since they've won the game.

Quote:
Of course some of that is due to the size of the CFL field but I think it could work on an American sized field.
With no fair catch rules, there will be 0 punt returns on the season. Teams will sacrifice 5-10 yards in the air for a chance of 10-30 yards of roll and bounce. On kickoffs, every kick will just be 15-20 yard pooch kicks that the kicking team will win since they'll have a full head of steam and the return team will be standing still.

Most of these rule changes are stupid on several levels.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby

With no fair catch rules, there will be 0 punt returns on the season. Teams will sacrifice 5-10 yards in the air for a chance of 10-30 yards of roll and bounce. On kickoffs, every kick will just be 15-20 yard pooch kicks that the kicking team will win since they'll have a full head of steam and the return team will be standing still.

Most of these rule changes are stupid on several levels.
How do you know for sure? Don't you think some crafty coach in the CFL would've tried something similar?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
How do you know for sure?
Because I'm a genius.

Quote:
Don't you think some crafty coach in the CFL would've tried something similar?
No, and that's not all that relevant. It's like saying "The NBA won't be affected by the banning of dunks because the WNBA banned dunks and it worked fine" (assuming the WNBA decided to ban dunks).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
It's supposed to be anti-climatic. That's the point; there's no motivation for the offense to attempt to score since they've won the game.
Right. I understand that. But I still like the idea of a defensive team having the chance (albiet a slim one) to stop the clock. It would make it a some games a little more exciting down the stretch. And yeah, yeah yeah, I know "Don't let the other team score more points" and "Don't waste your timeouts" etc....got it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »