Home

NFL DRAFT WISHLIST

This is a discussion on NFL DRAFT WISHLIST within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NFL DRAFT WISHLIST

Hoping Tyson Jackson somehow falls out of Top 20 (which he won't), and the Steelers trade to move up and get him.

More realistically, just hoping they don't reach for an OT or OG that they shouldn't waste a R1 pick on. If Alex Mack is available at 32, I'd certainly be happy if they drafted him.

Also would love to see them get Ron Brace to play NT in the second round if they don't address DL in the first round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Who was brought in under Gibbs?

Carter, Springs? I know Randle El was right...
Archuleta, Lloyd, trading a 3rd round pick for a 3rd string insurance policy at RB

The most annoying thing is that we've actually been quite good at drafting when we have picks. It's not like we trade our picks and we're the Jets or Lions.

Aside from the Spurrier years, here are the first round picks under Snyder:

Champ Bailey
Lavar Arrington
Chris Samuels
Sean Taylor
Carlos Rogers
Jason Campbell
Laron Landry

The worst is Campbell, and he was a mid 20s pick and a solid quarterback. The 6 top 10 picks have ranged from top 3 at their position (Champ, Samuels, Taylor) to top 10ish (Rogers and Arrington-pre injuries).

Even the 2nd and 3rd rounders are solid with Betts, Smoot, Dockery, Rocky, and Cooley.

Why this guy loves trading picks is beyond me.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Archuleta, Lloyd, trading a 3rd round pick for a 3rd string insurance policy at RB

The most annoying thing is that we've actually been quite good at drafting when we have picks. It's not like we trade our picks and we're the Jets or Lions.

Aside from the Spurrier years, here are the first round picks under Snyder:

Champ Bailey
Lavar Arrington
Chris Samuels
Sean Taylor
Carlos Rogers
Jason Campbell
Laron Landry

The worst is Campbell, and he was a mid 20s pick and a solid quarterback. The 6 top 10 picks have ranged from top 3 at their position (Champ, Samuels, Taylor) to top 10ish (Rogers and Arrington-pre injuries).

Even the 2nd and 3rd rounders are solid with Betts, Smoot, Dockery, Rocky, and Cooley.

Why this guy loves trading picks is beyond me.
That is a very good class of 1st rounders I must say...
Old 04-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Gibbs made things worse. He was a HORRIBLE GM. He went by Danny's standards in understanding free agency.
Hmmm. I disagree with you there. I would say he was past the on field coaching days (2 back to back timeouts, predictable play calling) but i like the team he left us with. I dont think zorn was the right fit to maximize what gibbs built. Zorn being a wco guy and gibbs the power run, didnt seem zorn came to a team that fit his style. i dont think he did bad, im just saying i like what gibbs put together

Now, i do have some gripes. First if you cant find a way to fit Lavar into your defensive schemes i think your nuts. Second, if you dont show a passing threat, why wouldnt people put 8 in the box. And third, it seemed like as soon as he had a lead he wanted to stop scoring. He just wanted to hold the ball. But, most of these problems are his on the field coaching.

Sure he mad some bad moves, but imo his good ones out weighed the bad ones. Just caught me off guard to hear he was horrible. Not to mention he drafted Sean Taylor so he gets pretty much a pass on everything for that. Ya its biased but for a while watching taylor was my only motivation to watch the skins. Now well.... Meh. I watch but i definatly dont watch the D like i used to.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
The Arizona Cardinals have reduced their trade demands for disgruntled receiver Anquan Boldin to a second-round pick in Saturday's draft and other considerations and are talking to at least three teams who seem to be newly interested, two sources told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Friday.

The New York Jets, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles have expressed interest given the downgraded demands from a first- and third-round pick, the sources said.
Man I hope Philly gets this guy. Also says that Zona is willing to renegotiate w/ Boldin too...boooooo!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Who was brought in under Gibbs?

Carter, Springs? I know Randle El was right...
Cebby listed quite a few. If I had time I'd go find an actual list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Hmmm. I disagree with you there. I would say he was past the on field coaching days (2 back to back timeouts, predictable play calling) but i like the team he left us with. I dont think zorn was the right fit to maximize what gibbs built. Zorn being a wco guy and gibbs the power run, didnt seem zorn came to a team that fit his style. i dont think he did bad, im just saying i like what gibbs put together

Now, i do have some gripes. First if you cant find a way to fit Lavar into your defensive schemes i think your nuts. Second, if you dont show a passing threat, why wouldnt people put 8 in the box. And third, it seemed like as soon as he had a lead he wanted to stop scoring. He just wanted to hold the ball. But, most of these problems are his on the field coaching.

Sure he mad some bad moves, but imo his good ones out weighed the bad ones. Just caught me off guard to hear he was horrible. Not to mention he drafted Sean Taylor so he gets pretty much a pass on everything for that. Ya its biased but for a while watching taylor was my only motivation to watch the skins. Now well.... Meh. I watch but i definatly dont watch the D like i used to.
Also as Cebby mentioned, the Skins have drafted well under Snyder in general. But as an overall GM I'd say he was much worse than he was a coach (and that fell pretty short of the Gibbs of old). Gibbs brought in Brunell and basically made him the starter when he signed. Considering the unfortunately loss of Taylor, meaning only a few years of service, I'd say Brunell cancels that out alone. Outside of the Deion/Bruce Smith year, I think Snyder was at his worse with Gibbs as the GM. They threw picks around like candy. The entire Duckett situation was baffling from the beginning to the end. ARE was overpaid and expected to be more than he can... Lloyd and Archuletta were the same. Carter was expected to play outside of his strength (corrected last year). Oline depth has been a problem that's been ignored for a while now.

Rather than just list all these things, I'm curious to know why you think he was a good or even average GM.

I actually don't think he was that bad of a coach. I think he didn't have the passion he used to and wasn't really up on the changes in the game, but overall the team wasn't too bad on the field. He got them to the playoffs and take away a couple of time management blunders and his 2nd coaching life may have been considered a success. Things like the passing issues and turning ultra conservative can be tied to the fact that the wrong players were brought in imo.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #31
MVP

sb24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Cebby listed quite a few. If I had time I'd go find an actual list.

Also as Cebby mentioned, the Skins have drafted well under Snyder in general. But as an overall GM I'd say he was much worse than he was a coach (and that fell pretty short of the Gibbs of old). Gibbs brought in Brunell and basically made him the starter when he signed. Considering the unfortunately loss of Taylor, meaning only a few years of service, I'd say Brunell cancels that out alone. Outside of the Deion/Bruce Smith year, I think Snyder was at his worse with Gibbs as the GM. They threw picks around like candy. The entire Duckett situation was baffling from the beginning to the end. ARE was overpaid and expected to be more than he can... Lloyd and Archuletta were the same. Carter was expected to play outside of his strength (corrected last year). Oline depth has been a problem that's been ignored for a while now.

Rather than just list all these things, I'm curious to know why you think he was a good or even average GM.

I actually don't think he was that bad of a coach. I think he didn't have the passion he used to and wasn't really up on the changes in the game, but overall the team wasn't too bad on the field. He got them to the playoffs and take away a couple of time management blunders and his 2nd coaching life may have been considered a success. Things like the passing issues and turning ultra conservative can be tied to the fact that the wrong players were brought in imo.
Well you got your points there. Since i already know your good at arguing your point i dont know if i should even bother.

Not to mention i just got busy at work and im leaving for the weekend. i will come back monday with some points. Wont be great. But we can talk about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #32
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Well you got your points there. Since i already know your good at arguing your point i dont know if i should even bother.

Not to mention i just got busy at work and im leaving for the weekend. i will come back monday with some points. Wont be great. But we can talk about it.
lol, it's all good man. Don't know what exactly I said to get that other guy so upset, but not looking to start a fight at all. As you know, I like the Skins. Just wondering if there's some other stuff I forgot about. I honestly didn't realize how well they've drafted (I knew it wasn't bad but just overlooked how good it's been) so wondering if there's other stuff Gibbs did that as a GM that I'm missing.

I'll also add this about the Snyder era. Norv didn't deserve to be fired when he was. I don't think it was a bad move bc nobody considers Norv a great coach but change for the shake of change will shake any franchise. Marty had started turning the team around and then he was let go, and we know Spurrior was a disaster. I think Gibbs' signing was a GREAT move for the franchise when it was made. Snyder had the team in a serious spin and Gibbs is definitely the man to straighten that out. He brought hope to the players and fans, a solid system (along with the help of some good assistants) and a calm in the staff because he was definitely the first coach that wasn't worried about losing his job.

I'm not hating on Gibbs, I just don't think he was a good GM. Maybe you're considering those things I just mentioned as positives from a GM perspective... I could give you that. Just can't think of anything else.

Anyway, have a great weekend. Look forward to hearing what you've got when you come back on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »