Home

How will Matt Cassel Do In KC?

This is a discussion on How will Matt Cassel Do In KC? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How will Matt Cassel do in KC?
GREAT! 2 2.41%
Good 22 26.51%
Ok 41 49.40%
Bad 18 21.69%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 89
How will Matt Cassel Do In KC?

READ MY BLOG ABOUT THIS SUBJECT
http://www.operationsports.com/Footb...sel-wont-bust/

I am a fan of Matt Cassel, but I will look at this in a objective point of view... kinda

CONS
- Acused of being overrated
- Acused of being a product of a system
- Has only started 16 games since high school

PROS
- Comes from best 2 systems of both levels, (USC & PATS)
- Went 11 - 5

CONCLUSION
If he is a product of a system I would not be very worried, Matt Cassel is now going to Tod Haleys system which put up 400 yards against the best defense in the league last year in the Super Bowl. He does not have any big time receiving targets besides Dwayne Bowe, BUT a healthy Larry Johnson can help bring balance by making defenses stay honest and open up things down field for Cassel...

I believe KC in 2 years could be a team to recon with if they continue to draft smart.

Last edited by FootballSchemer; 05-02-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: How will Matt Cassel Do In KC?

Remember Elvis Grbac? Scott Mitchell? Jay Shroeder? Jay Feeley? Steve Walsh?

Sometimes it works out, but I'm always leary of the suddenly successful backup quarterback on a good team becoming all the rage in free agency.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25

Cassel struggles most when he has to make throws into tight windows down the field and when the pocket is muddied (bodies around him) his accuracy noticeable drops. He also rushes his dopback from under center and he often loses sight of his primary read which is why he scrambled so often in the early part of the season.

When Cassel is in the shotgun he is a totally different qb. He was calm, accurate, and saw the field with great clarity. Cassel is at his best when making short passes that requires getting rid of the ball quickly.

How will he do in KC? Depends if the Chiefs know how to play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses as masterfully as NE did. I'm not a stats guy at all but if you want predictions then I will say:

62 completion %
22 td passes
15 ints.
3700 yds
6.9 ypa
86 qb rating
5-11 record

And no he is not a "product of a system". There is no such thing at the pro level and I am tired of people using the word when they have no idea what it means. Cassel is an average qb who will put up some flashy numbers for a few years but will not win anything of significance. In other words, he is destined to be a loser.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Remember Elvis Grbac? Scott Mitchell? Jay Shroeder? Jay Feeley? Steve Walsh?

Sometimes it works out, but I'm always leary of the suddenly successful backup quarterback on a good team becoming all the rage in free agency.
See we agree on some things, lol.

Cassel was successful on a team that came off a 16-0 season with one of the best WR duo's in the league and one of the best defenses in the league. He's been in the system learning it for years from a HOF QB and coach. He has none of that in Kansas City. I don't know what the "real" Cassel looks like. He might be a decent QB, but the pressure, need to learn a new offense with less weapons and a D not good enough to control the game as well... I don't see him doing to well. If he can withstand it all, he may settle in after a couple of years but this year is going to be rough.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

Cassel was a product of the Patriots' system. Tom Brady goes down, Cassel steps in and goes 11-5. I would give more credit to Bellicek and the rest of the staff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
See we agree on some things, lol.

Cassel was successful on a team that came off a 16-0 season with one of the best WR duo's in the league and one of the best defenses in the league. He's been in the system learning it for years from a HOF QB and coach. He has none of that in Kansas City. I don't know what the "real" Cassel looks like. He might be a decent QB, but the pressure, need to learn a new offense with less weapons and a D not good enough to control the game as well... I don't see him doing to well. If he can withstand it all, he may settle in after a couple of years but this year is going to be rough.
I wrote a blog about this
http://www.operationsports.com/Footb...sel-wont-bust/

There is a highlight video in the blog, so you can see how he performed with the pats
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

Division at the end of the season:

1. Chargers
2. Raiders
3. Chiefs
4. Broncos

I'd say he does mediocre to bad. he definitely won't be gettin any fantasy starts for me this year. thats just my opinion
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Rookie

csuf559's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnofx
Division at the end of the season:

1. Chargers
2. Raiders
3. Chiefs
4. Broncos

I'd say he does mediocre to bad. he definitely won't be gettin any fantasy starts for me this year. thats just my opinion
that would be awesome if the raiders finished second.

I think Cassel will do ok i really think he would of done way better with the chiefs is they kept Gonzo now the only real weapon to pass to is Bowe

NCAA: Fresno State Bulldogs
Fan of soccer but no real favorite team

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »