Home

Mouse Davis Retires

This is a discussion on Mouse Davis Retires within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Mouse Davis Retires

One of the great innovatorsof the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4222832
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Mouse Davis Retires

one of the great innovators the game has ever seen. I know the Run N' Shoot doesn't get a lotof respect from some people these days but that scheme was very dominant for a long long time. hell, you could make the argument that the Run N' Shoot is the original spread offense!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

In actuallity I prefer the Run and Shoot, especially Mouse's version to the spread. He was able to utilize the run and make sure that the system didn't get too one dimensional. Sad.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
All Star

splff3000's Arena

Damn!! I was hoping "Mouse" was a nickname for AL. Oh well.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Damn!! I was hoping "Mouse" was a nickname for AL. Oh well.
Naw, I think Slick is the nick name for Davis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Mouse Davis Retires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister8578
In actuallity I prefer the Run and Shoot, especially Mouse's version to the spread. He was able to utilize the run and make sure that the system didn't get too one dimensional. Sad.

Mouse Davis' run & shoot offense was a good and highly productive system that was ran here in Detroit during the late '80s and early '90s while he was the offensive coordinator. But the problem with this system was that it simply got your quarterback killed. It would be a miracle to see one QB last an entire NFL season without either leaving a few games due to injury or losing effectiveness late in the season because of suffering the long-term effects of all the hard hits taken throughout. Not everyone can be a Warren Moon, who was a freak of nature that turned out to be the exception to the rule while playing for the Houston Oilers.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 06-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
Mouse Davis' run & shoot offense was a good and highly productive system that was ran here in Detroit during the late '80s and early '90s while he was the offensive coordinator. But the problem with this system was that it simply got your quarterback killed. It would be a miracle to see one QB last an entire NFL season without either leaving a few games due to injury or losing effectiveness late in the season because of suffering the long-term effects of all the hard hits taken throughout. Not everyone can be a Warren Moon, who was a freak of nature that turned out to be the exception to the rule while playing for the Houston Oilers.

Kruza
The other problem with the run and shoot was in the redzone.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza

Kruza
The Run N' Shoot can work with a less mobile QB. You don't need a freak of nature to run it well. I mean Jim Kelly wasn't exactly Mr. Athletic (though early in his NFL career he could scramble with some success) but he was able to function pretty well in the K-Gun which was a variant of the Run N' Shoot though it also added the dynamic of being a no huddle offense.

Kelly did get slowed down by injuries and he took some tough hits but some of that can be accounted for his tough as nails personality as he often tried to make the best of every situation.

I think there are some QBs in the league today that can run the Run N' Shoot but one doesn't really think of them as fast "athletic" QBs. Drew Brees immediately jumps to mind.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »