Home

Demarcus Ware - Hides From Coaches To Help Ellis

This is a discussion on Demarcus Ware - Hides From Coaches To Help Ellis within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
Demarcus Ware - Hides From Coaches To Help Ellis

Although it is a crappy situation. I have to admit, I admire Ware's honorable team-play.

LINK

Ellis: Ware helped me out

Comment Email Print Share ******** type="text/javascript"> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Ex-Cowboys%20LB%20Ellis:%20Ware%20hid%20so%20I%20coul d%20play", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4316014", published: "2009-07-09" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink"));
ESPN.com news services

According to former Cowboys linebacker Greg Ellis, DeMarcus Ware played hide and seek with the Dallas coaching staff during games last season to help Ellis get more playing time.

Michael Irvin: 7/8

******** language="Javascript" type="text/javascript"> var podplayer = new flashObj(); podplayer.flashFile = "http://assets.espn.go.com/swf/espnradio/09/audio_player_circular_v2.swf"; podplayer.flashVars = "&soundLink=http://podloc.andohs.net/dloadTrack.mp3?prm=3450xhttp://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/content-root3.andomedia.com/origin/mp3/stations/1138/irvin/irvinshow090708.mp3"; podplayer.width = "86"; podplayer.height = "70"; podplayer.scale = "noorder"; podplayer.salign="lt"; podplayer.wmode = "transparent"; podplayer.allowScriptAccess = "Always"; podplayer.allowNetworking = "All"; podplayer.DenyIEdl = "TRUE"; podplayer.FlashVer = 8; podplayer.cabVersion = "8,0,0,0"; podplayer.altTxt = ""; podplayer.ID = "flashPodcastSwf"; podplayer.render(true);
Oakland DE Greg Ellis joins the show and breaks his silence on what went on behind the scenes and why he's no longer with the Dallas Cowboys.
More Podcasts »

Ellis, who was vocal about his displeasure with his diminished role with the Cowboys last season, said on ESPN 103.3's "Michael Irvin Show" Wednesday that former teammate Ware shared his frustration to the point that Ware would hide from coaches during games so Ellis could play.
"It's a disgrace when DeMarcus Ware comes off the field just so I can get in the game and when the coaches tell him to come on the field, he tries to hide so I can play," Ellis said on Irvin's show. "And you're telling me we're trying to win the Super Bowl?"
Ellis, who had played all of his 11 NFL seasons in Dallas, was released this offseason and subsequently signed with the Oakland Raiders.
According to the Dallas Morning News, Ware could not be reached for comment. Ware, who has one season remaining on his rookie contract, earned his third straight Pro Bowl nod in 2008 thanks to a 20-sack season.
During the interview Wednesday, Irvin asked Ellis to clarify his statement that Ware would take himself out of games.
"On his own. He would say, 'G, come on.' And I would tell him, 'No, DeMarcus, go ahead, man. You're coming up on your contract year. Don't mess that stuff up. Go ahead and do you, and we're just going to do what the coaches, or whoever the powers that be, what they want to do.'"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Demarcus Ware - Hides From Coaches To Help Ellis

Good move by Ware by putting his team first even though it was sad for it to even get to that.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Good move by Ware by putting his team first even though it was sad for it to even get to that.
At the same point though do you really want players who don't want to be in the game? When you talk to most players you get the feeling you'd have to drag their dead bodies off the field, you know?

It's a nice teamwork thing, I get that, but if it's a key play or whatnot I want my player thinking about the play and what he should do, not whether or not to pull himself out of the game so his friend can get snaps.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Am I the only one who thinks this is just sour grapes on Greg Ellis' part? He was never happy during his final three years in Dallas for various reasons, be it money, position changes, or what have you. Because of this and the fact that he's 34 and no longer worth the trouble, he was released outright and unceremoniously by the Cowboys last month. Not only that, but Ware played in effectively every defensive snap for the Cowboys last season before he hurt his knee against the Seahawks; he was really never on the bench.

I'm not buying Ellis' story.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

The Dallas coaching staff is garbage. They don't have one single coach or assistant that I would want on my team, and nepotism is RAMPANT in that organization.

The Cowboys as a whole are team with no character on the field or on the sidelines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Am I the only one who thinks this is just sour grapes on Greg Ellis' part? He was never happy during his final three years in Dallas for various reasons, be it money, position changes, or what have you. Because of this and the fact that he's 34 and no longer worth the trouble, he was released outright and unceremoniously by the Cowboys last month. Not only that, but Ware played in effectively every defensive snap for the Cowboys last season before he hurt his knee against the Seahawks; he was really never on the bench.

I'm not buying Ellis' story.
I wanted to hear from a cowboy fan. I dont think its true either. The sack record is 22 right? Hes 2 away from a record but is hiding on the bench? And correct me if im wrong but isnt it best for the team to have the best on the field? Isnt Ware better than Ellis?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Having watched nearly all of the Cowboys games last year, I can't honestly remember Ware not being on the field. Maybe on a rare 1st & 10 on a long drive or something, but honestly, I don't remember seeing this much, but then again I dunno.

What I do find sad is how Ellis was treated by Cowboys' brass. He was a 1st round pick, constant contributor, tied for longest tenured on the roster, played every position asked of him (LDE, RDE, OLB, etc) yet he was never fully respected by the staff. Maybe it was his personality that rubbed people the wrong way -- never heard of anythign outside of him being disgruntled over pay -- but it seemed for the longest time the Cowboys staff was just trying to get rid of a guy who they couldn't bury on the depth chart or release outright. All those DE's & LB's they drafted and none of them out-performed Ellis except for Ware.

I just didn't understand his releasing this year either. They lost Burnett (LB), Canty (DL) & Thomas (LB) this offseason, don't have the depth to make up for it, and have unproven & underwhelming players still on the roster (Carpenter, Spencer, etc) expecting to take his place. You'd think keeping a saavy, smart, versatile player who can fill 2-3 needs on a roster would be ideal. For a guy who played very sparingly last year he still had 8 sacks.

Stupid move by the Cowboys, and dumb move on Ellis part to waste away in Oakland this year. I would have loved to see him go to a contender for less, but I guess at the end of the road you have to make that money.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
The Dallas coaching staff and ownership is garbage. They don't have one single coach or assistant that I would want on my team, and nepotism is RAMPANT in that organization.

The Cowboys as a whole are team with no character on the field or on the sidelines.
fixed that for ya.Unfortunately we cant fire our owner.Talent with poor Leadership=no playoff wins,thanks jerry.As for Ellis making his comment,Isnt he a Raider now?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »