Home

NFL Draft moving to prime time (Thursday night)

This is a discussion on NFL Draft moving to prime time (Thursday night) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: NFL Draft moving to prime time (Thursday night)

The writing was on the wall seeing how well the NHL draft did in Canada in prime time. IIRC the first round was on in the evening and the rest was done during the day time hours over the weekend. The NHL Draft in Canada outdrew EVERYTHING else sports wise that weekend by a large margin. Here's the breakdown via Toronto Star sports media columnist Chris Zelkovich:

Quote:
1. Hockey, NHL entry draft, Friday, TSN: 582,000

2, Baseball, Phillies at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 359,000

3. Auto racing, NASCAR Lenox Tools, Sunday, TSN: 278,000

4. Baseball, Phillies at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 235,000*

5. Soccer, Confederations Cup final, Sunday, CBC: 195,000

* Ontario and Pacific Region only
Clearly the NFL is looking to do the same kind of thing with the NFL draft what with pro football almost being a religion. It's not a crazy idea but I can see why some are against what has been tradition for them.

Personally i'm not too upset about it unless somehow it stretches to midnight!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The writing was on the wall seeing how well the NHL draft did in Canada in prime time. IIRC the first round was on in the evening and the rest was done during the day time hours over the weekend. The NHL Draft in Canada outdrew EVERYTHING else sports wise that weekend by a large margin. Here's the breakdown via Toronto Star sports media columnist Chris Zelkovich:
There is no chance that something called an "NHL draft" in Canada had anything to do with this.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #27
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
There is no chance that something called an "NHL draft" in Canada had anything to do with this.
Not DIRECTLY but i'm sure the NFL at least took a look at how the NHL draft did in its maiden voyage on prime time. I'm sure even if the NHL draft did poorly the NFL still would've gone ahead with a prime time draft but maybe not to the scale that it is right now with 3 of the 7 rounds on in prime time.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #28
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

It's not the tradition for me personally but moreso the fact they're changing something that had no business be moved in the first place. I was upset when they moved the Draft to a 3:30 start time but I at least understood why they did it(damn westcoasters lol)but they really had no reason TO move it to Thursday night.

Another thing to keep in mind is how this will effect the NBA Playoff ratings, depending on who's playing that Thursday and Friday night.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #29
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

I remember when the draft wasn't televise
Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
It's not the tradition for me personally but moreso the fact they're changing something that had no business be moved in the first place. I was upset when they moved the Draft to a 3:30 start time but I at least understood why they did it(damn westcoasters lol)but they really had no reason TO move it to Thursday night.

Another thing to keep in mind is how this will effect the NBA Playoff ratings, depending on who's playing that Thursday and Friday night.
Wont affect it much. Stern will just schedule around it and schedule the worst first round matchup that day. It is better than before when the 1st round of the draft was competing against 4 NBA games on Saturdays.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #31
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

this F***ing sucks. i went to the draft the past 2 years because it was on the weekend i did not have to go to school the next day and also there is something that the nfl doesnt realize. people actually have something called jobs where they need to get up the next day and work. i hope the attendence in the 2010 draft drops so low that they change it back to a weekend
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
this F***ing sucks. i went to the draft the past 2 years because it was on the weekend i did not have to go to school the next day and also there is something that the nfl doesnt realize. people actually have something called jobs where they need to get up the next day and work. i hope the attendence in the 2010 draft drops so low that they change it back to a weekend

That wont happen. The NBA draft is on a Thursday and its always packed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »