Home

Former first rounder Charles Rogers did marijuana everyday he was in the NFL

This is a discussion on Former first rounder Charles Rogers did marijuana everyday he was in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Former first rounder Charles Rogers did marijuana everyday he was in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Weed makes people do stupid things, but anybody "sacrificing what they know is best just to get high on weed" was an idiot far before weed entered their life.
Correct. Because they chose to smoke weed.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #42
Rookie

ClemsonTiger81's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Former first rounder Charles Rogers did marijuana everyday he was in the NFL

The number 1 pick should be graded very tough when someone is talking about being a "bust" and of course the expectations are extremely high. I would say it's very close between Alex Smith, Tim Couch and Charles Rogers.....and i say Charles Rogers because I remember the highlights...my goodness was that guy awesome at MSU. First Plaxico then Rogers? Must have been awesome being a Spartan fan in the stadium getting to see those guys play for half a decade combined.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Joey was bad but I think Akili blows him out of the water, bust-wise... :-)
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #44
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger81
The number 1 pick should be graded very tough when someone is talking about being a "bust" and of course the expectations are extremely high. I would say it's very close between Alex Smith, Tim Couch and Charles Rogers.....and i say Charles Rogers because I remember the highlights...my goodness was that guy awesome at MSU. First Plaxico then Rogers? Must have been awesome being a Spartan fan in the stadium getting to see those guys play for half a decade combined.

It's rarely been "awesome" for MSU fans the past 20 years. They went 4-8 in Rogers' last year there when they were predicted to win the Big 10.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #45
Rookie

ClemsonTiger81's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
It's rarely been "awesome" for MSU fans the past 20 years. They went 4-8 in Rogers' last year there when they were predicted to win the Big 10.
I wasnt referring to their overall records. They did beat Spurrier and Florida around that time in the Citrus Bowl...maybe '99? They also won 10 games that year. I am just saying seeing that kind of talent play. Somtimes it's nice just to be able to say you saw some of those plays in person. That's just me personally. I am sure most would disagree, but whatever. My team sucks too, so if Spiller goes off for 2000 yards rushing this season but we go 6-6 then you take the good with the bad, at least he will be all over the media, and a sure-fire top 10 NFL draft pick. Sometimes, if you are a South Carolina or Clemson fan that's the best we can hope for. We can't all be Michigan and Ohio State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Above all, he just wasn't a good player. Even when healthy he did practically nothing.
Thats not true did you see his first 3 games? I know its not much but that was the only time he was healthy the rest of his career

My Teams
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Minnesota Vikings
NCAA FB: Nebraska Cornhuskers
NCAA BB: North Carolina Tar Heels
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #47
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I feel compelled to elaborate on what I said earlier, based on both the discourse in this thread and my own volition (say what you will about quoting myself, lol):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Proof that it takes more than talent to make it in the NFL.
Rogers certainly had some amount of talent; the way he burst onto the scene the first few games of his rookie year, before he broke his collarbone the first time, is a testament to that. He never really recovered from that, however; if I recall he broke that same collarbone a second time in the subsequent season, and given both Detroit's ineptitude without him their propensity to draft and otherwise acquire wide receivers at the time he quickly got lost in the shuffle and never worked his way back up. To this end, certainly his injury affected his ability to live up to his expectations in Detroit.

As to the subject at hand about his smoking marijuana "every day" (and I preface this by saying I have never smoked and never will given that I have chemically-induced asthma): certainly the time Rogers spent smoking, by himself and/or with company, and doing whatever it is smokers do, is time not spent better preparing for and bettering himself in his NFL career field. He could have just as well been studying his playbook, doing extra reps in the gym, working with a quarterback on route timing after practice, etc. etc. This would have been particularly important after his second injury to work his way back up the depth chart; assuming that the assertion in the topic post of this thread is true and Rogers was high much of his time away from organized team activities, then certainly smoking marijuana affected his ability to make it in the NFL.

My main point that I wanted to clarify is that I wasn't blaming marijuana specifically and exclusively for Rogers' failure in the NFL; certainly there are plenty of professional athletes who have smoked marijuana, some more than others, and are still successful. Rather, I feel his failure is more a combination of his injuries and rather poor decision making.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Code:
2	2	Charles Rogers	Lions	WR	Michigan State
3	3	Andre Johnson	Texans	WR	Miami (FL)

Don't forget Anquan Boldin in the second round.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »