Home

Who is the best RB is the NFL?

This is a discussion on Who is the best RB is the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #105
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Who is the best RB is the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Because we're talking about right now.

LJ had 2 ridiculous years followed up by 2 very mediocre years.

I was burned by S-Jax last yr in fantasy and I hate to bring up how bad his team is but talent wise, he's a top 5 RB IMO. He can run inside, outside, block a little, and catch.

Most of the guys I put on my top 5 list besides Westbrook have only had 1-2 good yrs but I don't think you can hold longevity against them. I picked my list off of talent more so than #'s.
If you can't get on the field to produce numbers then the talent is a waste.

...and you can't hold LJs 2 mediocre years against him either. In his two 1,700 yard seasons he got the ball 336 and 416 times. He beats out S-Jax in those two years by a total of 93 more touches (rush/rec.)

Given that S-Jax has had two healthier years in 07/08 than LJ, and touched the ball more times in his career than LJ (1,484 vs 1,382 touches). LJ has still scored more, and has a higher yds/gm. and yds/att.

Their careers are almost identical in length, and LJ has far surpassed S-Jax. Jackson is about 4 yrs younger, but LJs peak is better than S-Jax.

Who knows what either can give this year. Maybe LJ has a resurgence?

Last edited by JBH3; 08-24-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #106
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
It's hard for me as a Skins fan to accurately judge CP. As a runner he's nowhere near as explosive as he was in his Denver days, (due to bulking up, more carries on his legs, etc...) but he does everything you could ask out of a back. He catches the balls, moves the chains, is a great blocker, and never takes a play off. It's hard to not put a guy like that in my top 5 but I wish he had the explosiveness back.
So you leave out CP because he's not as explosive(which I disagree with)even though he's been more consistent than any of the other backs you mentioned?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #107
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
If you can't get on the field to produce numbers then the talent is a waste.

...and you can't hold LJs 2 mediocre years against him either. In his two 1,700 yard seasons he got the ball 336 and 416 times. He beats out S-Jax in those two years by a total of 93 more touches (rush/rec.)

Given that S-Jax has had two healthier years in 07/08 than LJ, and touched the ball more times in his career than LJ (1,484 vs 1,382 touches). LJ has still scored more, and has a higher yds/gm. and yds/att.

Their careers are almost identical in length, and LJ has far surpassed S-Jax. Jackson is about 4 yrs younger, but LJs peak is better than S-Jax.

Who knows what either can give this year. Maybe LJ has a resurgence?
I'm not holding LJ's 2 great years against him. Those 2yrs were amongst the best ever statistically but all the poundage he took those 2years caught up with him. I can't remember the stat but it's something along the lines of if a RB gets close to or over 400 carries they get hurt at an alarming rate the next yr. I think his elite HB days are done.

LJ's peak was around 26 which is the same age Steven is right now. I guess this year will be the true measure of how good S-Jax is(I think you mentioned this too). SJ already had one yr where his #s were close to LJ's during his peak ('06) but he still has a few more years to go before he hits that running back wall (30yrs old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
So you leave out CP because he's not as explosive(which I disagree with)even though he's been more consistent than any of the other backs you mentioned?
IMO he's in that next tier of HBs (6-10). I'm talking about right now, not career-wise. Career wise he's more accomplished than all of the guys I mentioned.

And he isn't as explosive as any of those guys I mentioned. Look at his longest rush from the last 3 yrs (38). He has exactly 3 runs over 40yds (none in the last 3yrs). You compare this to his yrs in Denver where he had 3 his rookie yr and 6 the next it's a no brainer to say he's not as explosive any more. I posted some reasons why he's not as explosive (all legit in my eyes btw) but look at the breakdown of the 5 HBs I chose:

Last 3 yrs

Steven Jackson - 6 rushes over 40yds - 23 over 20yds
Deangelo Williams - 6 over 40 - 25 over 20yds
AD(P) - 9 over 40 - 31 over 20yds
Michael Turner - 5 over 40 - 20 over 20yds
Westbrook - 1 over 40 - 24 over 20yds
CP - 0 over 40yds - 19 over 20yds

Not only do his stats show that he's not that explosive anymore but anyone watching him knows that he doesn't run the same. He doesn't have the same balance, burst, open field elusiveness, and top-end speed.

He's 5'11 - 221lbs now
When he came into the league he was 204 (after he gained weight for the combine) and ran a 4.42.

He's not the homerun threat he used to be and when he reaches that 2nd line of the defense he doesn't break away anymore.

Last edited by KG; 08-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #108
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I was talking about guys who are actually still playing, but since when you wanna go there Herman Moore was a very good WR. Lomas Brown was a Pro Bowl OT for most of his career with Sanders. Sanders didn't play on the Cowboys or anything, but his supporting cast wasn't the worst ever. Jackson's current crew of half wits and practice squad fodder are as bad as Sanders worst.
Ummmm okay, sure.....and who was the "QB"?...dont worry I'll wait....I've got Barry on the line and he Is really steamed now.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 2

My top 5 and why(This is for this year)

1. "All Day"
-best combination of speed, power, and vision i've seen in a long time
-very elusive and has a pretty good shoulder charge
-needs to improve in passing situations to be a 3 down back

2. Ladainian Tomlinson
-more of a quick elusive back, good speed, good hands, workhorse
-not as explosive as AD, but is very solid in passing game
-had great vision earlier in his career, but not so much now, might be his age catching up to him

3. Michael (The Burner) Turner
-second hardest back to bring down(B.Jacobs)
-has great speed and break away burst for a big back
-great goal line back, but needs to improve in passing situations

4. DeAngelo Williams
-very hard to tackle and has great break away speed
-similiar to a young LT, but LT was a full time back

5. Clinton Portis
-has been one of the best backs since he arrived in the NFL
-good vision and speed
-is an every down back
-stats haven't been as good since leaving Denver

Last edited by brayTxiv; 08-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »