Home

So why aren't these teams dysfunctional?

This is a discussion on So why aren't these teams dysfunctional? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: So why aren't these teams dysfunctional?

Clearly there's problems in Denver. You'd have to be blind not to see it. They're not Browns/Raiders/Bengals kind of problems, but they're headed in that direction unless McDaniels shows he has some control over this team.

The Raiders problem is Al Davis, and will continue to be until he's done. Everything they do is so short sighted. Players only go to Oakland because they know they'll get paid for halfassing it, and then they can just throw a tantrum and leave whenever they want. Their drafting is ridiculously stupid. It reminds me of a young kid doing a fantasy draft for Madden. "I'll take the guy with the strong arm who runs a little bit, then I'll take the fast wide receiver and I'm set!" Taking Heyward-Bey when they did was atrocious. I never once bought JaMarcus Russell as a good NFL QB, but that's besides the point, because there was SO much better talent that they passed on, talent at positions they REALLY needed. Why take a project QB at 1 instead of Joe Thomas? When building a football team, you start from the line(s). They've passed on great franchise quality linemen in two straight drafts simply to take the hyped up sexy picks, which could be all fine and good if you actually had a team and system around them. The Houston Texans are a shining example as to why you don't do that. I'm sure New Orleans are thrilled that they have Reggie Bush right now and not Mario Williams.

The Moss trade was a perfect example of what's wrong with them. You have a guy who was the best WR in the NFL, he comes to Oakland and doesn't even try. So they simply unload him for a late draft pick, as if he's damaged goods or something, and he goes on to have a ridiculous season in NE, like everyone knew he would.

Oakland needs to start having smarter drafts, drafting at positions that they require. They're trying to go from point A to point Z while skipping the entire alphabet with moves like Russell, McFadden, Heyward-Bey, and it's stupid. While it will take time and it's not the sexiest move in the world to be drafting DT's or LT's in the top 5, it's how you build a football team. Who gives a **** what grade ESPN gives you for it in their draft anaylsis? They're the same people that ripped Houston to shreds for passing on Bush, Young, and Leinart.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
This makes absolutely no sense.
Let me spell it out for you:

THE RAIDERS SUCK. THEY ARE, AT BEST, THE SECOND WORST FRANCHISE IN THE NFL. OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS, THEY HAVE THE FEWEST WINS IN THE NFL. THEY SUCK AT EVERYTHING; OFFENSE, DEFENSE, EVERYTHING.

THE BRONCOS DO NOT SUCK AT EVERYTHING. THAT'S WHY NOBODY CONSIDERS THEM DYSFUNCTIONAL.

Quote:
Who decided how many years you can have 5 wins before your dysfunctional?
Common sense would dictate that having a bunch of really, really, really awful years in a row would mean that a franchise is likely dysfunctional.

Quote:
Congratulations to the Broncos I guess for having 1 season with 5 or less wins, but what does that have to do with the Raiders? Nothing.
You are the one who brought up the Broncos. Twice

Quote:
You say the Raiders suck in every facet of the game? That's an blanketed and opinionated statement. Show me proof.
A 6 year record of 24-72 means you suck.

Quote:
huh? What does this mean? No one said anything about Redskins, Ravens, or Saints. huh?
They're examples of how teams can neglect one aspect of football, but yet not be dysfunctional. The Raiders have neglected every aspect.

Quote:
The Raiders don't have a redeeming value? Says who? You again.
Anyone who's watched any football knows the Raiders suck.

Quote:
They draft poorly? Says who? You again or is it Mel Kiper this time. Yeah he's the greatest judge of talent. Is that why he still works at ESPN and not on an NFL team.
You've been picking at the top of the draft for 6 years and still suck. It appears that you made most of those draft picks, so it should follow that they haven't ended well.

Quote:
Also, losing does not make you dysfunctional because no one says the Bengals and the Lions are dysfunctional.
I think most people would say that the Lions are dysfunctional, and they haven't even been as bad as the Raiders aside from last year.

The Bengals are 2 games below .500 the last 6 years. The Raiders are 24.

However, if someone wanted to call them dysfunctional in the late 90s-early 2000s, I doubt anyone would go out of their way to disagree.

You're just mad, because you and your sorry *** team just got served
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
Because the Lions are the only team to go 0-16. And whenever the word losing, dysfunctional, etc comes up so will the Lions. Thank you Lions for making the Bengals look good.
Sorry, nice try. 0-16 doesn't make you dysfunctional. It means that you suck really bad and probably have terrible players on your team, but it doesn't make you dysfunctional. Marinelli even said that the guys were working and trying hard, they just flat out weren't good enough. One could argue that your Bengals are and have been way more dysfunctional than the Lions. How's that Andre Smith guy working out for ya? How many of your players got arrested this week?

Last edited by Illustrator76; 08-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Al Davis literally ran Lane Kiffin out of town and held a press conference describing the evil things Kiffin did to the Raiders. Warren Sapp, a guy who played several seasons in Oakland, has stories about the dysfunction in Oakland. They've had a new coach seemingly every season for the past half a decade. The Raiders are a dysfunctional franchise.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
Sorry, nice try. 0-16 doesn't make you dysfunctional. It means that you suck really bad and probably have terrible players on your team, but it doesn't make you dysfunctional. Marinelli even said that the guys were working and trying hard, they just flat out weren't good enough. One could argue that your Bengals are and have been way more dysfunctional than the Lions. How's that Andre Smith guy working out for ya? How many of your players got arrested this week?
lmao ok bro easy now. Its hard to defend the most pathetic team in the league. And no players have gotten arrested this week, I think winning at least one game a year helps cure that.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
1. Because the Raiders suck in just about every facet of the game. A team with 6 straight years of 5 or fewer wins is dysfunctional. The only time the Broncos ever had 5 or fewer wins in a 16 game season was 1990. So in some 30 seasons, the Broncos have had one season as bad as the Raiders have had each of the last 6 seasons.

2. All of those things are happening to the Raiders. The Redskins throw draft picks away like old minutes. The Ravens will never have a competent offense. The Saints believe that defense is optional.

However, those three teams still have redeeming value. The Raiders don't. The Raiders draft poorly, trade their best players for nothing, fire coaches for fun, and most importantly, they lose. Every franchise aside from the Patriots and Colts does something poorly. The Raiders are alone with the Lions as doing everything poorly.

I think the Raiders are just alone. even before the Lions 0-16 season they just went 7-9 the year before that. Im just sayin...my roomie is a Raiders fan, I love to bust his balls about it too. Its soooo effing horrible that last year when his team beat Tampa (my team) and kept em from the playoffs he was like "HAH! Payback for the Superbowl!" I was kinda like dude, you lost a Superbowl, we lost a regular season game and got stiffed from the playoffs....i'll keep the Superbowl victory.

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
Because the Lions are the only team to go 0-16. And whenever the word losing, dysfunctional, etc comes up so will the Lions. Thank you Lions for making the Bengals look good.
HEY NOW! Show a little respect. The Lions may have gone 0-16, but Tampa was the first to have a winless season, and still currently have the NFL longest losing streak ever at 26...lol

Honestly I'm surprised Tampa hasnt been brought up, besides the Dungy Era and 79-81, Tampa has blown something awful. I mean serously they're my team, but even I have to admit, Gruden won a Superbowl riding Dungy's coattails. Then single handedly ran McKay out, Key out, released or didnt resign 3/4 of the defense (especially: John Lynch, Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice) so he gets his butt buddy GM Bruce Allen in....oh wait nevermind, these 2 were both Raiders....guess the problem all stems back to the Raiders dysfunction lol

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Banned

The Bengals are more dysfunctional than the Lions. Why? Because they consistently tear their teams down through the locker room. Having the amount of players Cinci has get arrested is just an outright disgrace. The way they imploded after their little playoff run was a perfect example of why they never stay consistent. Things go bad and everyone starts fighting and blaming each other. The Lions are just victims of careless management. They have/had plenty of players with good attitudes, who really, really, really, want to be good, but just can't do to the poor decision making there. They'll be a consistently good franchise again before the Bengals are, since the Bengals never are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »