Home

Week 2: Texans @ Titans

This is a discussion on Week 2: Texans @ Titans within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #161
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Week 2: Texans @ Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
Although I am stoked for our 1st win (against the Titans..YES!!) - but - Our D looked ridiculous. Secondary, front four.... man you name it, but the O looked on point and well, we are who we thought we were on that side of the ball. I only hope we can get our D coached up enough to keep things close the remainder of the season that can give us a chance against the remaining games on the schedule....
I'm more worried about our running game honestly. Even in pre-season it has been horrible. I think Kubiak needs to switch out backs more to keep both fresh. C.Brown has done better than Slaton, but it feels like we barely put him out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #162
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco West
I'm more worried about our running game honestly. Even in pre-season it has been horrible. I think Kubiak needs to switch out backs more to keep both fresh. C.Brown has done better than Slaton, but it feels like we barely put him out there.
I wouldn't worry about it based on this game. The Titans held Pitt to 36 yards rushing --- and let Big Ben pass for 363. We held you guys to 63 yards rushing --- and let Schaub pass for 357. We're clearly committing to stop the run at the expense of our pass defense.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #163
Nza
MVP

Crazy game. Was odd to see a Texans OL play so well against a Titans DL. Great win for the Texans, and potentially a really early spark for a huge season. Perhaps even more odd is I still can't help but feel a little proud, like getting beat by your little brother, and I wasn't an Oilers fan, so I have nfi why :P

Chris Johnson has an insane career day but Schuab had one too, and the Texans win. Proof as good as any that QB > *. And proof yet again (3 games in a row now dating back to the playoffs) that Kerry Collins is a choke artist who can't finish games. There has rarely been a QB so able to walk the fine line between looking decent enough to avoid criticism while putting up seemingly ok stats, but being completely inept at points in a game where it really matters most. The Titans will simply not do anything with Kerry Collins at QB.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #164
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Eric Winston vs Kyle Vanden Bosch.

UFC 104.

I got Winston.

@ the Titans. Titans are still the Oilers. aka Chokers.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #165
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
Although I am stoked for our 1st win (against the Titans..YES!!) - but - Our D looked ridiculous. Secondary, front four.... man you name it, but the O looked on point and well, we are who we thought we were on that side of the ball. I only hope we can get our D coached up enough to keep things close the remainder of the season that can give us a chance against the remaining games on the schedule....
I agree. The defense is a major concern going forward. They looked bad all preseason and the first two games as well. I was certainly expecting better things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #166
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
Eric Winston vs Kyle Vanden Bosch.

UFC 104.

I got Winston.
Ha! I got Winston too, you could read his lips on as he was being pulled to the sideline "I'll beat you, I'll beat you".

Can't wait for the Monday Night matchup in week 11 and I can't believe they didn't talk more about this great game on ESPN.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #167
Nza
MVP

K so I wanted to wait a bit to post this so I wasn't in the heat of a loss, yadda yadda...

2 things:

- How does the muffed fair catch rule make even a lick of sense? What is the rule aiming to protect, exactly? the guy had a fair opportunity to catch the punt and screwed it up, so because he launched the ball up in the air, a gunner can't catch it and recover it before it hits the ground? stupid. Plus, i'm pretty sure the aim of the rule (whatever it is) wasn't to prevent what actually happened in this game. I've heard of calling strictly to the rule book, but surely a bit of common sense could have been applied?

- How was that Jones catch a, er, catch? and if it was a catch, how was it a TD? I get the feeling after the call against the Raiders in week 1, the refs were told to relax on receivers not bringing down the ball perfectly in the end zone......except Jones didn't ever seem to have possession in the end zone before it hit the ground and he picked it back up again.

2 bad breaks that could have obviously made a huge difference in a close game.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #168
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
K so I wanted to wait a bit to post this so I wasn't in the heat of a loss, yadda yadda...

2 things:

- How does the muffed fair catch rule make even a lick of sense? What is the rule aiming to protect, exactly? the guy had a fair opportunity to catch the punt and screwed it up, so because he launched the ball up in the air, a gunner can't catch it and recover it before it hits the ground? stupid. Plus, i'm pretty sure the aim of the rule (whatever it is) wasn't to prevent what actually happened in this game. I've heard of calling strictly to the rule book, but surely a bit of common sense could have been applied?

- How was that Jones catch a, er, catch? and if it was a catch, how was it a TD? I get the feeling after the call against the Raiders in week 1, the refs were told to relax on receivers not bringing down the ball perfectly in the end zone......except Jones didn't ever seem to have possession in the end zone before it hit the ground and he picked it back up again.

2 bad breaks that could have obviously made a huge difference in a close game.
When a player calls for a fair catch, he has the right to make the catch until the ball hits the ground. Even if he juggles or bobbles it, he has the right to make the catch, un-interfered with, because of the fair catch call. Now once the ball hits the ground, it's fair game. Or if the same thing happened without the fair catch, that's a fumble too. Basically, the fair catch signal protected Jones on that one. It's a double whammy too, because not only did the Titans not get the ball, it was also a 15 yard penalty.

Regarding the TD catch, I think they ruled it that Jones caught and possesed the ball at the 1 or 2 yard line, and then crossed the goal line as a runner in possession of the ball. If this is true, the play is over as a TD as soon as the ball breaks the plane of the goal line. Now if they say that he caught the ball in the end zone, then he does need to maintain possession all the way through. I'm really guessing here, but it's the only way I could see them confirm the TD call in that situation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »