Home

Can Oakland go far with JaMarcus Accuracy??

This is a discussion on Can Oakland go far with JaMarcus Accuracy?? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 18
Can Oakland go far with JaMarcus Accuracy??

I know they have a decent running game and the defense seems to be better but what happen if both failed and the team depends on JaMarcus Arm to win the game can it happen. Can he bring a team back in a no huddle off. Im looking at this dude QB rating which is a 44.6 and complete percentage which is a 35.2. With Al Davis Running the show and JaMarcus work ethic because he is being pampered by Al Davis i truly believe JaMarcus wil never reach his potential and be a dominate QB.

Cuz lets face it Tom Cable will be fired, i doubt he be there for long and JaMarcus have to learned a whole new offense again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Can Oakland go far with JaMarcus Accuracy??

I hope sometime soon, like in the next 2-3 years, JaMarcus GTFO out of Oakland and to a team with a good QB coach that will teach him the fundamentals of playing QB.

I really want to see JaMarcus do well but in Oakland it doesn't look like that will happen.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I saw Jaws talking about him on PTI and he questions whether Russell actually does any practice and conditioning in the offseason. I think I have to agree with him and come to the same conclusion that Russell doesn't seem to be doing anything to better himself as a pro.

He needs to get better with his accuracy ASAP or he's going to be a HUGE bust. Personally the Raiders shouldn't have cut Garcia because he's the kind of QB that this team needs right now as they seem to have the other pieces in place to be a decent team.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I hope sometime soon, like in the next 2-3 years, JaMarcus GTFO out of Oakland and to a team with a good QB coach that will teach him the fundamentals of playing QB.

I really want to see JaMarcus do well but in Oakland it doesn't look like that will happen.
For what it's worth, the Raiders have one of the best QB coaches in the game in Paul Hackett. He specifically was brought in to work with Russell.

This is an intersting quote from Rich Gannon about Jamarcus Russell;

“I’ve talked to personnel people around the league. I’ve talked to people who have been at the games and there’s a lot of concern right now about JaMarcus Russell and his accuracy, his completion percentage. So I went back and did a study. I looked at his 21 starts, he’s completing just over 51 percent of his passes. And then this season, you look at his first two weeks, he’s completing around 35 percent of his passes. That obviously is not very good. I just think he’s missing too many opportunities and he’s holding back this offense right now.

“So what I did was I broke down every pass attempt from the first two weeks. I looked at whether he was under center or in the shotgun. I looked at the personnel on the field. I looked at whether it was a three-step drop, a five step drop, a seven-step drop, whether it was play action, whether he was rolling, and I really tried to break it down.”

– “There’s a number of things that you need to take into consideration. First and foremost, he’s had a number of different coaches, a number of different play-callers, a number of different coordinators, different QB coaches, in just his three short years in the league. That, I think, has had an impact on him, a negative impact. The second thing is the inexperience and lack of production at the wide receiver position has hurt him as well. Finally, after looking at all the film, I am convinced that all the things that he is struggling with can be corrected. So that’s a positive.”

– “A couple of things are very glaring. I think, you see a lot of times he falls away from throws. He seems to bail. I think a rush up inside bothers him. He needs to get more bend in his knees when he throws. He’s very upright and not a lot of bend in his knees. It may have something to do with his weight. He seems to be more comfortable operating out of shotgun than he does under center. He doesn’t do a very good job seeing out in front of throws and I think that comes with experience, really understanding and anticipating coverages. So that’s not something he does. When you look at the offensive game plan, the passing game, I think they’ve condensed the plan. It’s not very complicated. Fundamentally, right now, he is not very sound. His mechanics, his footwork, it’s inconsistent.”

– “He is much better, his completion percentage is much better, when he’s throwing to the tight end in that offense. Clearly, there’s a comfort level there with Zach Miller.”

– “I think sometimes he predetermines where he’s going to go with the ball. You can see that he makes up his mind very early in his drop. And the other thing is he misses a number of throws, almost a majority of his throws if you go back and look at it, they’re high which tells you that more of that weight is not on the front foot, that he’s leaning back, he’s throwing off of his back foot. These are some things that really jump out at me.”

– “Let me say this in terms of the coaching. He may have the premier (quarterbacks) coach in the National Football League when it comes to footwork, when it comes to preparing a quarterback in terms of the mechanics. Paul Hackett was my QB coach in Kansas City and was one of the big reasons why I was able to go on and have success in Oakland. He is a phenomenal coach. He coached Joe Montana. He’s coached a lot of great players in this league. I know he’s got a good coach there in Paul Hackett, his quarterbacks coach, a guy that I have the utmost respect for, and I know these are not the types of things, when I look at (Russell’s) footwork, that he’s coaching.”

I think that is about as good a reading on the situation as we're going to get. In short...his problems are believed to be fixable, but will he actually do it?

No one really knows.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
For what it's worth, the Raiders have one of the best QB coaches in the game in Paul Hackett. He specifically was brought in to work with Russell.

This is an intersting quote from Rich Gannon about Jamarcus Russell;

“I’ve talked to personnel people around the league. I’ve talked to people who have been at the games and there’s a lot of concern right now about JaMarcus Russell and his accuracy, his completion percentage. So I went back and did a study. I looked at his 21 starts, he’s completing just over 51 percent of his passes. And then this season, you look at his first two weeks, he’s completing around 35 percent of his passes. That obviously is not very good. I just think he’s missing too many opportunities and he’s holding back this offense right now.

“So what I did was I broke down every pass attempt from the first two weeks. I looked at whether he was under center or in the shotgun. I looked at the personnel on the field. I looked at whether it was a three-step drop, a five step drop, a seven-step drop, whether it was play action, whether he was rolling, and I really tried to break it down.”

– “There’s a number of things that you need to take into consideration. First and foremost, he’s had a number of different coaches, a number of different play-callers, a number of different coordinators, different QB coaches, in just his three short years in the league. That, I think, has had an impact on him, a negative impact. The second thing is the inexperience and lack of production at the wide receiver position has hurt him as well. Finally, after looking at all the film, I am convinced that all the things that he is struggling with can be corrected. So that’s a positive.”

– “A couple of things are very glaring. I think, you see a lot of times he falls away from throws. He seems to bail. I think a rush up inside bothers him. He needs to get more bend in his knees when he throws. He’s very upright and not a lot of bend in his knees. It may have something to do with his weight. He seems to be more comfortable operating out of shotgun than he does under center. He doesn’t do a very good job seeing out in front of throws and I think that comes with experience, really understanding and anticipating coverages. So that’s not something he does. When you look at the offensive game plan, the passing game, I think they’ve condensed the plan. It’s not very complicated. Fundamentally, right now, he is not very sound. His mechanics, his footwork, it’s inconsistent.”

– “He is much better, his completion percentage is much better, when he’s throwing to the tight end in that offense. Clearly, there’s a comfort level there with Zach Miller.”

– “I think sometimes he predetermines where he’s going to go with the ball. You can see that he makes up his mind very early in his drop. And the other thing is he misses a number of throws, almost a majority of his throws if you go back and look at it, they’re high which tells you that more of that weight is not on the front foot, that he’s leaning back, he’s throwing off of his back foot. These are some things that really jump out at me.”

– “Let me say this in terms of the coaching. He may have the premier (quarterbacks) coach in the National Football League when it comes to footwork, when it comes to preparing a quarterback in terms of the mechanics. Paul Hackett was my QB coach in Kansas City and was one of the big reasons why I was able to go on and have success in Oakland. He is a phenomenal coach. He coached Joe Montana. He’s coached a lot of great players in this league. I know he’s got a good coach there in Paul Hackett, his quarterbacks coach, a guy that I have the utmost respect for, and I know these are not the types of things, when I look at (Russell’s) footwork, that he’s coaching.”

I think that is about as good a reading on the situation as we're going to get. In short...his problems are believed to be fixable, but will he actually do it?

No one really knows.
Damn thanks for that. Sounds good. Hopefully he can fix the issues. And hopefully Al doesn't keep firing his coaches. JaMarcus, and the entire Raiders organization, needs more stability and familiarity.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

I see absolutely no upside to JaMarcus and he will (should) only be warming something until he'll be out the league.

No accuracy, no real mobility, no work ethic, playing for Oakland, huge arm strength = no skills at all.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 18

But you have to put a huge blame on Al Davis for his lack of development. Hes keep firing HC, OC, QB coaches every goddamn year.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Yeah, gotta blame management first. Look at the Cowboys, you can make a claim they are one of the more talented rosters in the league but with craptastic coaching they are going no where, while a team like the Patriots has always gotten by with good coaching and lesser talent.

With Russell, it's just too much inconsistancy around. The organization, the coaching staffs, the lack of receiving personel, and Russel's lack of committment. I think he could be a great QB in that offense because the pass is predicated on the running game, which they are great at. Run the ball, PA pass & bootlegs to deep bombs, that's the only way Russell will be successful as of now. If, that's a BIG IF, he puts in the effort to become a better player he will improve but most people don't see that.

But honestly I feel like hee got his money, and now he's done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »