Home

Los Angeles is building an NFL stadium

This is a discussion on Los Angeles is building an NFL stadium within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Los Angeles is building an NFL stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
That's tickets sold, not the turnstile count. And I'm pretty sure the team has been losing money for 3 seasons from what Vic Ketchman has been indicating, unless you know of a source that says they haven't. I think the only team that actually discloses its financial status are the Packers, so that information should be difficult to get. $60 million is almost a drop in the bucket compared to how much they could make by moving to L.A. However, one saving grace vs. L.A. could be the fact that they're targeting California teams. That doesn't save the Jaguars from moving to a city besides L.A., but L.A. does seem to be the most immediate threat.
The only game where there has been less than 40,000 people or tickets sold was the last preseason game. The last 2 games had around 45,000 tickets sold and very few no shows.

It is very hard for any NFL team to lose money. The Jaguars haven't lost money yet. With revenue sharing, you basically cover the salary cap. Then any ticket sales, advertising, merchandise, food, etc will easily cover all the other operating expenses.

Vic is probably being a little dramatic and unless you read his stuff all the time, you won't catch it. He is tired of all the talk, so now I think he just says they are moving.

Oakland this week had <40,000 tickets sold last week. Tampa Bay is in trouble, they had to buy all the empty seats last week and that is never a good thing to do. The Jags did it and it hurt them now, make people get in the habit of paying to see the games. If you give it away free, people don't want to pay in the future. Tampa probably has similar numbers to the Jags for the number of people actually at the games.

Last edited by p_rushing; 10-27-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #66
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
I think lack of attendance in LA is a myth. Neither the Rams or Raiders played in a modern NFL stadium when they moved. In addition, neither team was that good when they moved. The attendance record that the Cowboys broke was for a LA Rams game. I think with a state of the art stadium, LA could support one or even two teams. Plus even if there were no teams in LA, it still makes sense to have the stadium so that the Super Bowl can be held in LA and make the NFL tons of money.

Would anyone care if the Jaguars moved to LA?
It's not a myth at all. Hardly anyone in LA watched the Dodgers or Angels series last week on TV, and they don't attend NFL games. The Lakers are the only big draw there.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #67
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

I'd bet the Chargers are headed there, btw.

They can't get the city of San Diego to pitch in on a stadium.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »