Home

Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax

This is a discussion on Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Jake Plumber
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You pretty much prove the point you are trying to argue against.

Why is this tragedy more important than the one to "Jimmy Joe"? It's a slippery slope.

Where is the line drawn? I don't think anyone is in disagreement that this is a terrible story. I also haven't seen anyone object to Johnson wearing a Henry jersey.

It just seems to me that all sides can be happy with the arrangement. There is no precedent set because the NFL will fine Johnson for doing something that is against their policies.

Will said it best with his post.
I think which tragedy is more important or not is irrelevent. The difference in Chad wearing Henry's jersey is Henry is a teammate and a fellow NFL player. Chad can simply put his jersey on and not distract the game in anyway.

If Chad wants to honor Jimmy by putting on his high school jersey which is not a NFL product, not a Bengals product, doesnt match with his team etc, that will obvisouly cause more issues then wearing the same jersey just with a different name and number.

I applaud Chad for doing this, but I think it will be kinda erie seeing #15 with the name Henry running around on the field.

Like someone else said in this thread the best way to honor Henry is play hard for him and win the game in his honor.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Can this logic just disappear from this discussion now? There's a very distinct and obvious difference in situations here than whatever you think players will want to do every week. Last time I checked active NFL players don't die every week which would be the obvious exception to the rule. If Chad was trying to wear little Jimmy Joe's jersey from high school cause he died recently, then your argument would make sense. But since it's with regards to an active player and teammate, then other players wouldn't have a leg to stand on in trying to make a case to honor someone not currently in the NFL that has tragedy strike.
Nope.

Rules are there to maintain balance. You let one person bend them, even for something like this, then everyone wants to bend them every time something sad or tragic happens.

Sorry dude. Although, you are correct on one thing: using the word "logic" in reference to my (and others) point of view. Seems to me we're the only ones actually using any.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 27

^^^ LOL @ the Plumber pic. I was thinking the same thing.

If you already know it's against the rules (and I'd imagine all players know it is), then there is no fight to put up. Wear the jersey, pay the fine... the NFLPA and Chad himself have enough money to spare.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

I think Chad is a great person for wanting to honor his friend. It's more than a lot of people would do. I AGREE he should wear the jersey.

I also agree the NFL should fine him. It's against the rules. Who is the NFL to say how serious one situation is to another. What happens if one of the player's mothers dies and he wants to wear pink gloves as a tribute? Is a teammate more important than a mother?

It's against the rules, Chad wears the jersey, he should get fined. He should still wear the jersey, but he should still get fined.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
I think which tragedy is more important or not is irrelevent. The difference in Chad wearing Henry's jersey is Henry is a teammate and a fellow NFL player. Chad can simply put his jersey on and not distract the game in anyway.

If Chad wants to honor Jimmy by putting on his high school jersey which is not a NFL product, not a Bengals product, doesnt match with his team etc, that will obvisouly cause more issues then wearing the same jersey just with a different name and number.

I applaud Chad for doing this, but I think it will be kinda erie seeing #15 with the name Henry running around on the field.

Like someone else said in this thread the best way to honor Henry is play hard for him and win the game in his honor.

see, this is the problem. You applaud chad for doing this? There is where the argument is. Some of you people have this "going against the man" mentality which is plaguing this situation. Like I said. this man can do 5 million things to honor his friend, he could do 20 different things during the game tomorrow. None of which HAVE to break a record or get a fine or get the media attention this is getting.

some of you guys just like to try and justify breaking the rules. I wonder how successful some of you guys will be in life. You guys spend your time looking for justification and loopholes in rules, you wont be that successful I can assure you that.

On a side note, it doesn't bother me the slightest that chad is wearing the jersey. Its cool. But I dont want this to stand for anything other than him wearing his friends jersey to honor him. This shouldnt be a march on the NFL rules policy. Chad is breaking the rules. He knows it. The NFLPA knows it, and even the guys in here claiming the NFL is wrong now he is breaking the rules. enough with the nonsense.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 34

I'm not a Chad Johnson fan at all, and I understand that the NFL has its rules and that their rules are uniform.

It's also a nice gesture by the NFLPA.

Its moot now since Chad decided not to do it.

I just thought that the NFL had a good opportunity to kind of step outside its strict uniformity image for once, and show a human side.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I'm not a Chad Johnson fan at all, and I understand that the NFL has its rules and that their rules are uniform.

It's also a nice gesture by the NFLPA.

Its moot now since Chad decided not to do it.

I just thought that the NFL had a good opportunity to kind of step outside its strict uniformity image for once, and show a human side.

did he say why he isnt doing it? Thats weird. it was all set up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »