Home

top 3 overrated Qb's of all time

This is a discussion on top 3 overrated Qb's of all time within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
The Mad Genius

MARTZball's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: top 3 overrated Qb's of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
Namath is an easy #1 for me, Bradshaw #2. As for #3, probably have to throw out Mike Vick from the early 2000's, he was never really that good.
Yeah.

Namath, Vick and take your pick of a bunch for 3rd.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Not a lot of love for Bradshaw. He was probably one of the most athletic QBs in NFL history. His brain was probably a brick, though. He felt insulted if someone ever told him to look off a safety.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 12-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #35
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
TheWatcher is only 15? The way he posts sometimes I thought he was older. BTW I didn't post in the top 5 thread simply because i've been in that conversation more times then I can remember here at OS.

Needless to say poopydude got bashed (and rightfully so) for putting Fouts on his overrated list. I have quite a few Charger games from his career and I can tell you that Fouts operated one of the most advanced offenses of the period. The reason why there were so many INTs was because the offense was THAT aggressive. If you're going to penalize Fouts for having an all world offensive squad then you'll have to do the same for Jim Kelly but really you can't in both instances. The Chargers didn't have very good defenses back then (the '79 and '81 teams had defenses that I think could've gotten them a SB win) and the same for the Bills. (though the '90 team had a big play defense that almost won it all)

Let's also take a closer look at the competition at the time, during Fouts' heyday the AFC West was arguably the toughest division in football. Even the weaker teams in that division could jump up and pull off an upset. In fact, the Chiefs of that era who were up and down (mostly down) often gave the Chargers fits. The Raiders were still a powerhouse of a team, The Broncos from '77-81ish and again when Elway came in was a solid team. The Seahawks didn't have the greatest talent in the world but they could pull off victories when you least expect it. In short, the Chargers didn't have an easy road to victory in those days.

Anyways onto my top 3:

Warren Moon: A great stat compiler and was THE QB for the Run n' Shoot but when it came to important games or playoff games he and the Oilers almost always folded under the pressure. The biggest example being the '93 playoff game against the Bills. That year was probably Houston's best chance to get to the SB in the Moon era to be honest.

Joe Namath: The reasons have already been spoken for. I will say this for him he became the poster boy for an entire movement in the AFL and he milked that for all it's worth. If he didn't win SB III he probably wouldn't be in the HOF.

Dan Marino: Dan Marino is one of my top 10 greatest QBs out there but he's also marginally overrated by his boosters. The guy had a whale of an arm and could do things only a couple other guys in league history could pull off but at the same time he wasn't the best QB from a cerebral point of view. If you could neutralize his deep field threats then he's hard pressed to make the right reads and can be slowed down. This wasn't so much of a problem when he was younger and had the fastest release in the league but when he was older teams could do that to him and ESPECIALLY during the Jimmy Johnson era when they tried to make it like the Cowboys offense Marino suffered mightily until late in games when JJ had to open up the offense so Marino can save his bacon.

thank you i admit the fouts weather thing was a but misplaced but for the QB's i have not actually seen play im basing it off of stats and highlight reels
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #36
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Micheal Vick*3

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #37
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Not a lot of love for Bradshaw. He was probably one of the most athletic QBs in NFL history. His brain was probably a brick, though. He felt insulted if someone ever told him to look off a safety.
Over Randal Cunningham, Steve Young, John Elway? Bradshaw is not even in the same sentence with these guys in terms of athleticism. But he is highly overrated as a QB.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #38
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

The weather thing was really misplaced considering in the top 5 best you listed Montanna (SF),Marino (Miami) and Manning (dome).
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Brady Queen,Jamarcuss Russell.All overrated big time.
You have to be somewhat good in the first place in order to be considered overrated.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 15

Bradshaw gets a lot of unwarranted hate. His worst years came when he was a young guy on a bad team. The Steel Curtain gave up 30 points in one Super Bowl. If Bradshaw wasn't absurdly productive, the Steelers lose that game. Still, he's not in my top ten and probably not in my top fifteen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »