Home

The Brett Favre Saga

This is a discussion on The Brett Favre Saga within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #65
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The Brett Favre Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I'm not saying Brennan is "the guy to go after". But I feel pretty confident in saying that he's a far better passer and would be far more effective in utilizing those weapons than TJack. His resume in a high flying offense at Hawaii speaks for itself.....and it speaks louder than Jackson's resume. Brennan has looked pretty solid in the action he's seen on a bad team. But like I said, it's just an idea. TJack is going to be a career clip board jockey. Seriously, if the Vikings don't re-sign him who else would bother with him? I think the list of suitors would be extremely short, if not completely non-existant. Rosenfels is a short-term band aid.

There are other guys in the league who are young and full of potential who simply aren't going to get a shot for a variety of reasons. I think a guy like Brennan falls into this category. There are political and economic reasons in keeping him beneath Jason Campbell on the depth chart. Then to top it off you have an inept FO who's projected to make a huge reach with the #4 pick for a guy like Bradford. So just like that Brennan has even more strikes against him because the Skins are looking to make another huge 1st round investment on another QB who will be given priority based on draft position and contract status. He may be small and may not have the strongest arm, but guys like Chad Pennington and Peyton Manning have proven that football IQ is far more important than having the physical tools ala Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell.
I don't want to take away from your overall point but Brennan has not looked good in anything besides garbage time in preseason games. Trust me, I'm as tied into the Skins as I am the Ravens and Brennan has never been considered a serious contender for the starting QB job and there's nothing political about it. Maybe he can turn into something but he hasn't shown a single thing to this point that says he will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I like Tom jackson and all.....but i'd take what he's saying with a few hundred grains of salt. He was the one who was BY FAR the most vocal in opposition of Favre coming back this year. I remember him being pretty ornery about it the day Favre signed with the Vikes and did his presser.
I don't think TJ was wrong in his feeling at the time. Brett's a 40 year old QB that fell apart down the stretch the season prior, and INT'd the Jets right out of the playoffs. The idea of Brett coming back at that point seemed ridiculous. We all know Brett is a great QB, but I don't think anyone thought he'd have a season like the one he had or that he was even capable.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 17

Well like I said, i'm not saying Brennan is the guy....he's just an example. There are guys the Vikes could go after that are just not going to get a realistic shot. I just don't think TJack or Sage are good options moving forward for a team that has the window open to make some runs.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I don't think TJ was wrong in his feeling at the time. Brett's a 40 year old QB that fell apart down the stretch the season prior, and INT'd the Jets right out of the playoffs. The idea of Brett coming back at that point seemed ridiculous. We all know Brett is a great QB, but I don't think anyone thought he'd have a season like the one he had or that he was even capable.
I don't disagree at all. I'm also one of those who said he was past it based on the body of evidence at hand regarding his recent history. I, and many others, were certainly proven wrong in that area.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Is Brett Favre going to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
So who to say Tjack couldn't have with done the same with the open up playbook. Plus they were screen play away of maybe winning the eagle game.

I didn't believe the lie because I felt the Vikings were Superbowl contender coming into this pass season because they could smother the run and they could run the ball. The WR core was going to be the best since the Moss and Burleson crew. I only remember two games that secondary give up big plays they were the Ravens(mostly in the fourth were look like they took there foot off) and Arizona game.
We were we got to the NFC title game. So therefore we are a Super Bowl Contender. It takes a lot to win it all. If it was at Minny and we lost then I would say you have the right to be upset. The Defense was good, but not as great as you think. They gave up big plays a lot and they could never get the big stop when they needed it. Also they were always so close to getting the INT of the fumble, but were just a step behind. It has been that way with the vikings for a while now. Rice and Harvin would not have been this good with TJ. I mean think about it Rice is being consider as a great WR. Yeah he is, but thank Brett for that. Brett knows how to throw that ball where the WR has to go up and make the play. If you keep making those plays he keeps throwing them to you. TJ can't do that yet and the thing about TJ is he could not make the simple throw to move the chains he can make some great passes throw. Which is shocking!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 1

He probably won't. All of this "will he or won't he" stuff is good for his career. However, he looked so beat up on Sunday's game and there comes a time when you decide whether or not you'd like to be able to get out of bed when you are older. Of course, in the here and now an athlete doesn't think about that. He just loves the game.
Super Bowl Packages
Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 1

Who should take place if he were to retire?
Super Bowl Packages
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
There are other guys in the league who are young and full of potential who simply aren't going to get a shot for a variety of reasons. I think a guy like Brennan falls into this category. There are political and economic reasons in keeping him beneath Jason Campbell on the depth chart. Then to top it off you have an inept FO who's projected to make a huge reach with the #4 pick for a guy like Bradford. So just like that Brennan has even more strikes against him because the Skins are looking to make another huge 1st round investment on another QB who will be given priority based on draft position and contract status.
What are these other reasons for Brennan being below Campbell on the depth chart?

As a person who has seen every Redskins game of each's career, the reason Campbell is above Brennan is because he's a much better quarterback.

Brennan's career comes down to two things, over inflated stats at Hawaii and a good box score in his first preseason game in the fourth quarter. Even then his "game winning" touchdown was an absolute garbage pass.

However, the best option should Favre retire is on the Redskins and it's Jason Campbell. He's not fancy, but with a run game, a great OL, and solid WRs, he can be a steady quarterback for cheap (I would think a 3rd or 4th draft pick would be all that's needed).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »