Home

The Brett Favre Saga

This is a discussion on The Brett Favre Saga within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Is Brett Favre going to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The turnovers cost the Vikings the game and so did the boneheaded 12 men in the huddle. That's on the coach, he has to control the sideline at that crucial moment of the game. 2 of those turnovers were on Favre. He threw into coverage once(3 Saints in the area) and across his body with the game on the line. He had a player open in the right flat or he could have scrambled. As he said, in hindsight, he could have ran with it.

In the heat of the moment, Favre makes mistakes at crucial times. You learn to take the good with the bad with Favre. He had arguably the best career he's ever had, and I'm sure Viking fans were thinking that they were getting the new Favre that will lead their team to the SB.

At a crucial moment, the old Favre showed up.
I agree with costly mistakes and the one int. was a bad decision throwing into triple coverage but man they were not given him much time to throw and all QB throw picks from time to time. I'm sure all QB's would like to have back some game ending decisions in their lifetime and Brett has had more than most. I believe those decisions is what keeps him out of the discision imo of greatest of all time. Montana,Marino,Manning and Elway usually did not make those bad decisions and why easily any one of them could be argued for as being the best. I just feel for Brett because I do not think another QB could have taken the punishment he did and stayed in the game, easily the toughest guy ever at that position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #42
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
"He had arguably the best career he's ever had"

What other careers has he had? Sorry, just yankin' yer chain.
Ah, you are right to crank that one. Poor choice of grammar, ya know.

Best year of his career sounds better.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
The turnovers cost the Vikings the game and so did the boneheaded 12 men in the huddle. That's on the coach, he has to control the sideline at that crucial moment of the game. 2 of those turnovers were on Favre. He threw into coverage once(3 Saints in the area) and across his body with the game on the line. He had a player open in the right flat or he could have scrambled. As he said, in hindsight, he could have ran with it.

In the heat of the moment, Favre makes mistakes at crucial times. You learn to take the good with the bad with Favre. He had arguably the best career he's ever had, and I'm sure Viking fans were thinking that they were getting the new Favre that will lead their team to the SB.

At a crucial moment, the old Favre showed up.
If that old Brett didn't show up we would not even be in that game! So I will take Brett any day. Sure he threw INT and that sucked. But he also threw some nice TD's and made some key throws that kept the chains moving. He did not lose this game for the Vikings. The Coach and the turn overs did. But even then they still almost one the game. So I just say it was one of those road games we have become accustomed with.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #44
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
If that old Brett didn't show up we would not even be in that game! So I will take Brett any day. Sure he threw INT and that sucked. But he also threw some nice TD's and made some key throws that kept the chains moving. He did not lose this game for the Vikings. The Coach and the turn overs did. But even then they still almost one the game. So I just say it was one of those road games we have become accustomed with.
I did say the TO's and the 12 men in the huddle hurt the Vikes. You also need to admit that at another crucial time in the game, he made a horrible decision and throw.

I also said if you have Favre on your team, you need to accept the good with the bad. The good was the season he had, the bad was yesterday's int.

History did repeat itself yesterday, unfortunately for the Vikes and their fans.

He will go down as a 1st ballot HOF QB and in the discussion of top 10 QB's of all time, but his career is somewhat tarnished when making throws in playoff games(2 of them conference championships) in the heat of the moment, the throws go to the other team.

There is no other way of looking at that, unfortunately.

I don't see how anyone can excuse that throw at that time in the game. History has a unique way of rearing it's ugly head sometimes.

Last edited by roadman; 01-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
I did say the TO's and the 12 men in the huddle hurt the Vikes. You also need to admit that at another crucial time in the game, he made a horrible decision and throw.

I also said if you have Favre on your team, you need to accept the good with the bad. The good was the season he had, the bad was yesterday's int.

History did repeat itself yesterday, unfortunately for the Vikes and their fans.

He will go down as a 1st ballot HOF QB and in the discussion of top 10 QB's of all time, but his career is somewhat tarnished when making throws in playoff games(2 of them conference championships) in the heat of the moment, the throws go to the other team.

There is no other way of looking at that, unfortunately.

I don't see how anyone can excuse that throw at that time in the game. History has a unique way of rearing it's ugly head sometimes.
To be honest with you INT happen all the time to end games, sure it was the worst time for it. But I had fun watching Brett win games this season. Some really good Sundays for me this year. With a hard one yesterday, but Brett got us there and I can't complain about that. I will take the good with the bad with Brett just like I would take the good with the bad with AD. You know yeah he threw the INT in many playoff games, but I bet you Brett play is what kept teams in the games to begin with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
To be honest with you INT happen all the time to end games, sure it was the worst time for it. But I had fun watching Brett win games this season. Some really good Sundays for me this year. With a hard one yesterday, but Brett got us there and I can't complain about that. I will take the good with the bad with Brett just like I would take the good with the bad with AD. You know yeah he threw the INT in many playoff games, but I bet you Brett play is what kept teams in the games to begin with.
At this point, I really have no idea why you keep saying you'll take the good with the bad with Brett and even AD. Brett has cost his team multiple Playoff games. Has thrown interception after interception in critical situations, a lot of times to end games. Heck, his last pass in each of his last two Playoff games were interceptions and both of which essentially lost them the game. Not saying you blame Brett for it all, just that had he made plays instead of throwing picks, the Packers and Vikings probably would've won each of those games. And with AD, this one is a little more fair because he is just incredible aside from his fumbling issues and a fumbling problem is definitely fixable(i.e. Tiki Barber). But my goodness, he absolutely needs to get that fixed. It has cost the Vikings before and it cost them yesterday too.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
At this point, I really have no idea why you keep saying you'll take the good with the bad with Brett and even AD. Brett has cost his team multiple Playoff games. Has thrown interception after interception in critical situations, a lot of times to end games. Heck, his last pass in each of his last two Playoff games were interceptions and both of which essentially lost them the game. Not saying you blame Brett for it all, just that had he made plays instead of throwing picks, the Packers and Vikings probably would've won each of those games. And with AD, this one is a little more fair because he is just incredible aside from his fumbling issues and a fumbling problem is definitely fixable(i.e. Tiki Barber). But my goodness, he absolutely needs to get that fixed. It has cost the Vikings before and it cost them yesterday too.
Because Brett got us there. He did win a Super Bowl, so he actually knows how to get teams over the hump. So I will take that gamble again next year. Maybe next year he does better you never know. So I say take the chance. A lot of players want him back and they said he was great in the locker room! So I am hoping he comes back and we get some secondary help and see what happens. Then after that year if Brett retires we can start looking for a QB. I will say this I watch a guy get his *** kicked out there and kept coming back out and making key throws and TD's and then force a pass that he should have not thrown, but that happens. Yes he trust his arm too much, but that is the same arm that has done so much good too for this Vikings team.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Because Brett got us there. He did win a Super Bowl, so he actually knows how to get teams over the hump. So I will take that gamble again next year. Maybe next year he does better you never know. So I say take the chance. A lot of players want him back and they said he was great in the locker room! So I am hoping he comes back and we get some secondary help and see what happens. Then after that year if Brett retires we can start looking for a QB. I will say this I watch a guy get his *** kicked out there and kept coming back out and making key throws and TD's and then force a pass that he should have not thrown, but that happens. Yes he trust his arm too much, but that is the same arm that has done so much good too for this Vikings team.
Yes, he got you guys there. Which is great. But he also ended it for you. I wouldn't take the gamble again. Sure, he's won the Super Bowl before, but that was, in what seems like 150 years ago, back in '96. Since then he's been classic Brett "gunslinger" Favre. I'm not saying he can't get it done, but I don't think it's worth the gamble again. The man is old(and he seriously looks like a dead man walking in Post Game conferences). He needs to call it a career. If he keeps coming back, he's going to get seriously injured at some point and certainly no one wants that.

Not to mention, this team just needs to move on. Favre isn't the answer for the future. The core of the team is still young. Move on from Favre and get a QB in there that can stretch the D and not turn the ball over, perfect answer with AD in the backfield. With the Vikings losing yesterday, this season is a bust. And Favre has done nothing but delay Minnesota's process. If he comes back another year, and they lose once again in the Playoffs, he'll delay it even further.

I just don't think it's worth the gamble again considering how hard it is to get to the Super Bowl. This was Favre's best year ever and the Vikings couldn't get it done. I don't think you can realistically expect Favre to have another outstanding season like he had this year, and at the age of 41.

Simply my opinion.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »