Home

An uncapped year might handicap the league's top teams

This is a discussion on An uncapped year might handicap the league's top teams within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40
An uncapped year might handicap the league's top teams

I never heard of this clause before until now.

Quote:
Q. What is the Final Eight Plan?

A. During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 million (estimated) in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

In the case of all final eight teams, the first-year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first-year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per-year increases.
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...a-from-the-nfl
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: An uncapped year might handicap the league's top teams

That has got to be the dumbest rule the NFL has ever had. If the year is going to be truly uncapped, well it sucks to be a small market team, but a team with money to burn like Dallas shouldn't be punished because they actually won a playoff game.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
T If the year is going to be truly uncapped, well it sucks to be a small market team, but a team with money to burn like Dallas shouldn't be punished because they actually won a playoff game.
Nobody is going to be punished because there won't be any good free agents.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
That has got to be the dumbest rule the NFL has ever had. If the year is going to be truly uncapped, well it sucks to be a small market team, but a team with money to burn like Dallas shouldn't be punished because they actually won a playoff game.
The players agreed to it as well, so what are you going to do?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't think the article talks about how restricted free agency gets extended. You can keep your players longer before they have full rights.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I think all this uncap year and players and owners can't agree on sharing the mmoney they make is bull crap. I mean come on these guys make millions every year why people like us bust our butt day in and day to make a few dollars to support our families. These owners and players should ashamed of themselves on how they act over a few extra bucks. Why all fans want to do is watch football after a hard week of work. Uncapp and a possible lockout in 2011= bull crapp to me and fans of football.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I don't think the article talks about how restricted free agency gets extended. You can keep your players longer before they have full rights.
That is true. Most players who's rookie contracts were running out this year and would have been UFA's are now RFA's.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
I think all this uncap year and players and owners can't agree on sharing the mmoney they make is bull crap. I mean come on these guys make millions every year why people like us bust our butt day in and day to make a few dollars to support our families. These owners and players should ashamed of themselves on how they act over a few extra bucks. Why all fans want to do is watch football after a hard week of work. Uncapp and a possible lockout in 2011= bull crapp to me and fans of football.
Labor disputes have been going on forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »