Home

Is Drew Brees a Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Is Drew Brees a Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: As of now do you think Drew Brees is a Hall of Famer?
Yes he's done enough 84 45.65%
Possibly, needs few more years playing at a high level 88 47.83%
Nope 12 6.52%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #129
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Is Drew Brees a Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
True and the tackling in the NFL has gone severely down hill which leads to more yards after catch/contact.

From watching games this is the biggest reason IMO that we are seeing inflated stats, just watching the Saints play I notice the defenders seem to constantly try to knock the ball lose or strip it on every play which leads to a ton of broken tackles.

As someone else said I also think it has a lot to do with the amount of HB's getting really involved in the passing game as well as the TE's.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #130
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Say what you want about the changes in the game, the only players really threatening to break this record are potential HOFers (someone could mention Eli but he'd never hold the record... he may eventually pass Marino but will still be behind Brady and Brees in any year in terms of yards to actually break the record).
Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #131
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

I'd say he's a First Ballot HoFer. Dude just plays really well year after year and has shown he's a proven leader, even with lesser physical skills.

I can't really see questioning his shot at getting into the HoF.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

Last edited by muggins; 12-28-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #132
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The NFL has long since passed "becoming" a passing game. It has been a passing heavy league since oh, probably '07 or so. What we're seeing is unprecedented IMO. The game has gone on steroids from an offensive standpoint which I don't see changing as the offense is what puts butts on the seats.

Marino's record has been threatened in the last 3 years now so it was only a matter of time that it would be broken. It's going to be incredibly hard for HOF voters in 20 years to determine just HOW good these QBs are relatively speaking.
They'll just do what has always been done. Compare against players considered from the "era" they played in. It's not fair to compare straight stats from such different times. If you are a dominant player based on the criteria accepted at the time you played, you should be in the HoF. And Brees is now a lock for me. He just keeps doing it year after year. I don't even think you can say he needs a couple more years any more after what he did this season.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #133
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
I don't think it's the amount of passing. The league average in passes per game has been within a 1 att/gm margin of 33.2 passes per game since 1992. So teams have been throwing the ball around as much 20 years ago just as much as they have now but the efficiency has been increased. During that same period rushes per game have been even more consistent than passing but also have increased in efficiency. Resulting in the same rushes and passes per game but an increase of almost 40 YPG. Defenses have just been declining across the board for a long time. This year is just the culmination.
Average team attempts per game, 1992: 29.9
Average team attempts per game, 2011: 33.9

We had a thread about this very topic a few months ago and I pointed to two recent trends:

1. Teams are throwing more often. Passing attempts are way up, even relative to the late 90s. However, given that yards per completion is also way up, the increase in passing attempts can't be the sole explanation, which leads to:

2. Teams seem to be substituting the running game for the short passing game. Yards after catch (which usually result from short passes) is up; sack rates, while slightly up from last year, have been trending downward; and rushing attempts have steadily declined since 2003. Deep passing attempts are also down.

So it's not only easier to pass because of the myraid of rule changes designed to protect the QB/open up the passing game, but teams have also responded to the increasing effectiveness of the pass by passing even more; compounding the effect.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 12-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #134
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
Average team attempts per game, 1992: 29.9
Average team attempts per game, 2011: 33.9

We had a thread about this very topic a few months ago and I pointed to two recent trends:

1. Teams are throwing more often. Passing attempts are way up, even relative to the late 90s. However, given that yards per completion is also way up, the increase in passing attempts can't be the sole explanation, which leads to:

2. Teams seem to be substituting the running game for the short passing game. Yards after catch (which usually result from short passes) is up; sack rates, while slightly up from last year, have been trending downward; and rushing attempts have steadily declined since 2003. Deep passing attempts are also down.

So it's not only easier to pass because of the myraid of rule changes designed to protect the QB/open up the passing game, but teams have also responded to the increasing effectiveness of the pass by passing even more; compounding the effect.
Dear lord I mistype a number and you go crazy I meant 1993 instead of 92

Look at the avg att per game for then
1993: 32.2
1994: 33.6
1995: 34.8

I'd list them all but I'm on my phone and you get the point

Last edited by untrugby; 12-28-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #135
Rookie

ImmunityBow's Arena

OVR: 13

Yes! First year eligible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #136
Pro

OVR: 11

My apologies in advance, but if peyton is a hofer then drew is one too. Sorry if i come off as a homer or a doucje that doesn't have a clue about football but just look at what each has accomplished over the years, very similar despite peyton owning the mvp catagory but very parallel achievements nonetheless
NCAAF- MIAMI LSU
"IM SO UPTOWN AND IF U AIN'T MOTHA#$@ DONT GO UPTOWN, YEAH"

Quote:
How often can the bug be reproduced? That's a question for the developers...I'm not testing this for them...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »