Home

Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday

This is a discussion on Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday

splff3000 - because it's a self fullfilling prophecy. Consumers don't watch TV because the networks don't schedule anything on Friday and Saturday. And Friday and Saturday are dead nights ratings wise because consumers don't watch TV then. See the circular issue here?

If the networks would quit trying to cram all their best shows into Thursday nights and move some of them to Friday and Saturday...and keep them there, you'd see that ratings would pick up. The problem is the only shows that are ever moved there are, as you said, shows about to die anyways, so they go from about to die, to death when moved there since no one looks for any good shows there. Because the networks don't place any there, LOL!

As I said before, when I was younger there were highly rated shows on Friday and Saturdays. I wish I could find the article that listed them but I do remember a couple were Dallas and M.A.S.H.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #74
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
wwharton - we will have to agree to disagree. I am going by experience with friends and family. But let's face it, work is a big deal. Most people don't do a whole lot on a Saturday go out for a drink or Facebook anyways so that's why I think if there's a big party to go to everyone, even non-fans, would be going to it.

Look at it this way, throw the entire Super Bowl out the window and ask yourself how many of your friends would come to a big party you just randomly invited them to come to on a a Saturday night vs. a Sunday night. Alcohol or no, chances are more people who work on Monday will come out to the Saturday one and stay much longer than will show up for the Sunday one. And those who do come to the Sunday one will leave earlier on a Sunday than they would on a Saturday. That's just logic.
That's cool. I definitely believe you and what happens in your circle.

ODogg, if I didn't know you were a big football fan I'd think all you cared about was the party. The focus is on the game and getting eyes on the game. If I say I'm throwing a party for the Superbowl (no matter what night or time it fell on), the party would be packed. And most people go out hard on Saturday. That's what Cebby, I and others are saying. Maybe you're one that cares more about the experience than the game (unless the Boys are playing, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Doubtful, these are the people that have to wake up for work the next day and have to drive home. They'd be fine if it was on Saturday.

They certainly watch the commercials, which is the important thing.

Yeah, I'll chalk this up to different experiences... my friends and I weren't allowed to stay up that late during school.

About 30% of the parties I go to have to leave at half time because they have to wake up for work the next day.
And the casual fans that would go out anyway if the game was on Saturday and just catch glances of it at a bar would not be watching the commercials. That's a BIG problem.

Maybe it's a location difference, age difference (younger or older, I don't know) but I don't know these people that leave the Superbowl early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
splff3000 - because it's a self fullfilling prophecy. Consumers don't watch TV because the networks don't schedule anything on Friday and Saturday. And Friday and Saturday are dead nights ratings wise because consumers don't watch TV then. See the circular issue here?

If the networks would quit trying to cram all their best shows into Thursday nights and move some of them to Friday and Saturday...and keep them there, you'd see that ratings would pick up. The problem is the only shows that are ever moved there are, as you said, shows about to die anyways, so they go from about to die, to death when moved there since no one looks for any good shows there. Because the networks don't place any there, LOL!

As I said before, when I was younger there were highly rated shows on Friday and Saturdays. I wish I could find the article that listed them but I do remember a couple were Dallas and M.A.S.H.
It seems you're not accepting the idea that tv execs do things for a reason. The good shows were wasting away on Fri and Sat so they made a change. As you see, the major sports have followed their lead in that choice.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #75
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Maybe it's a location difference, age difference (younger or older, I don't know) but I don't know these people that leave the Superbowl early.
It is possible. Most people I know (near-30 professionals) don't go to the club on Saturday night. The ones that do are mostly part-timers or people with varying schedules who wouldn't really care when the SB was, they'd watch it.

Saturday nights are usually for cutting the lawn, grilling out with some pals, etc. In February there is snow and ice on the road; most people leave a little earlier to get to work so oftentimes that means waking up at 6 a.m.

A lot of these people are the types that are definitely 'casual' fans; my wife invited a co-worker last year who didn't know what a first down was. He had to leave at the half to get home to get some sleep for work.

edit: and again, you can't really compare the SB to CSI or Two and a Half Men. The SB is an event.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
edit: and again, you can't really compare the SB to CSI or Two and a Half Men. The SB is an event.
Again, the Super Bowl would still be an event on Saturday. It would still be the highest rated program of the year.

However, the NFL wants maximum ratings and even a few million people missing it adds up in money.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #77
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Again, the Super Bowl would still be an event on Saturday. It would still be the highest rated program of the year.

However, the NFL wants maximum ratings and even a few million people missing it adds up in money.
Like I said, they'd gain market share.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #78
Banned

Quote:
Like I said, they'd gain market share.
They'd gain market share because anybody watching TV on Saturday night would be watching the Super Bowl.

However, they'd lose viewers which are much more important.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #79
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
They'd gain market share because anybody watching TV on Saturday night would be watching the Super Bowl.

However, they'd lose viewers which are much more important.
They might lose a few, but they'd gain a ton too, and it would be an important market share.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #80
Banned

Quote:
They might lose a few, but they'd gain a ton too, and it would be an important market share.
The imaginary European demographic?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »