Home

Seahawks' Mike Williams shaping up for breakthrough season

This is a discussion on Seahawks' Mike Williams shaping up for breakthrough season within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14
Seahawks' Mike Williams shaping up for breakthrough season

Quote:
RENTON — Mike Williams returned to USC's campus last November, overweight, unfulfilled and talking about a comeback.

In hindsight, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll can see the significance.

"He came through and said he was going to do this and that," said Carroll, who coached Williams in college. "I kind of didn't think much of it at the time because he was probably 30 pounds heavier than he is right now."

That day marked a turning point in Williams' conditioning, and perhaps his football career. For the past three weeks, the receiver has shown flashes of the talent that once made him a top-10 draft choice. Signed by Seattle to a one-year contract after a tryout in April, Williams is attempting to grab hold of this opportunity to return to the NFL after spending the past two seasons out of the league.

"He's definitely at a place where he's really competitive physically," Carroll said. "It's the best I've seen him since maybe his sophomore year of college. He's very serious about it, so maybe he gets a chance to give us some help."

Williams is one of two former first-round receivers trying to play their way back into the league. The other is Reggie Williams, who attended Lakes High School and the University of Washington. Reggie's conditioning is improving, but Mike has really distinguished himself since his tryout, showing his talent was just buried underneath the weight he accumulated with bad habits and late nights.

"One of my main problems early in my career was I was trying to bring friends and family along to enjoy the experience of being an NFL player," he said. "Being able to go hang out in the clubs, just developed some real bad habits."

Chosen by Detroit with the 10th pick in 2005, Williams played two seasons with Detroit before being traded to Oakland. He didn't last past October with the Raiders; he then signed with Tennessee, where he never caught a pass. The Titans let go of Williams before the 2008 season, and last year he found himself in Los Angeles, a football player without a job in a city without a franchise.

"It's an empty feeling," he said. "You're sitting here and you've got this money, and you've got a nice house and a car and everything like that. But you're still empty. because you want to be a football player but you're not a football player."

There were no injuries to point to. No excuses, either. Williams managed 44 receptions in his three pro seasons — not what anyone imagined after he caught 176 passes in two seasons for USC.

The 6-foot-5 Williams reportedly weighed as much as 270 pounds with Tennessee. Now at 230, he's proving to be a big-bodied receiver who just might be capable of contributing to a rebuilding team.

During Saturday's practice, Williams caught a pass from Matt Hasselbeck on an in route and didn't even break stride when cornerback Chris Richards crashed into him and fell to the turf. Williams ran over the middle, turned upfield toward the end zone and pointed to the sky to celebrate.

Is this the best Williams has felt since entering the NFL?

"It really isn't even a question," he said. "I've changed a lot of bad habits. There's an infatuation with the results. You just kind of want to keep at it and keep at it. As I told coach Carroll, 'I want to see how far I can take it.' "
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...04_hawk03.html

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Seahawks' Mike Williams shaping up for breakthrough season

Unless he suddenly learned the ability to run routes and run faster, he's not going to be very good.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 29

Don't forget to separate from a defender. He couldn't do that either.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

At least he's trying I guess.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Well, there's no where to go but up at this point in his career. Good luck to him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

I hope he does well... Sounds like he got humbled..
Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23

I still remember Mel Kiper calling Williams the best player in the 2005 draft.

I just don't get how you can't be in shape in the NFL as a professional athlete. That just seems so stupid.
"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score."
Ricky Davis
Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVish
I still remember Mel Kiper calling Williams the best player in the 2005 draft.

I just don't get how you can't be in shape in the NFL as a professional athlete. That just seems so stupid.
Not to make excuses for adults ,but when you are secure financially I would think it would be very easy to develop bad habits and struggle with staying in shape.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »