Home

Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level?

This is a discussion on Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level?

I thought this might be an interesting discussion. Which QB do you think is playing at a higher level RIGHT NOW considering both are playing like gods.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Rivers or Vick: Who is Playing at a Higher Level?

Tough to say. Vick has been lights out. My only concern with him is durability due to his playing style.

Rivers is getting it done despite missing pretty much all of their playmakers. I am interested to see what Rivers does as they get Jackson, Gates and Naenee back along with Floyd hopefully staying healthy.

Don't sleep on Manning either. They are missing a ton of players and he's played outstanding as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Tough to say. Vick has been lights out. My only concern with him is durability due to his playing style.

Rivers is getting it done despite missing pretty much all of their playmakers. I am interested to see what Rivers does as they get Jackson, Gates and Naenee back along with Floyd hopefully staying healthy.

Don't sleep on Manning either. They are missing a ton of players and he's played outstanding as well.
Wow lol, you know Rivers and Vick are playing at an unbelievable level when you forget about Manning. Even Brady has played very well. It's been so exciting watching these guys play this year (even more so than every other year)
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 55

Rivers for me and it's not even close. His playing style holds up much better in the long run.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Rivers, has been playing at a high level for a few years now. The way he's playing he's gonna do what Brees/Manning,etc have done and make some of these unknown receivers well known.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

Rivers is doing more with less than any other qb in the league including Manning.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Rookie

snowman5607's Arena

OVR: 8

Philip Rivers hands down.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I came in here thinking this is a push, then I was quickly reminded that Rivers put up 35 points last night while basically throwing to guys he met five minutes ago. No doubt Michael Vick has been incandescent, but he is churning out video game numbers with a fully stocked arsenal of weapons. Still, no easy feat, but Phillip Rivers took the field last night without future Hall of Famer Ladainian Tomlinson; without the 1st rounder, Ryan Matthews, who was drafted to replace him; without future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates; and without Vincent Jackson. Yet that offense kept churning up and down the field.

There are a myriad of stats you can throw out to support Rivers, from the 23 touchdowns, to 5,000 yard pace, to the 65.2% completion rate, but to me, the biggest, and most eye-popping stat is the 9.0 yards per pass attempt.

9.0 YARDS!

Now there are a lot of stats in football that are empty. They simply don't add up to truly painting the picture of a great player. Just see Kyle Orton's stats vs. the way he played last night. But yards per attempt is the true gauge of what a quarterback is doing for his team. David Carr led the league in completion percentage one year with 68.3, but it was only for 6.3 an attempt. You simply can't get anything done with that.

If you get a quarterback that's getting over 7 yards an attempt, then he is really pushing the ball up the field with consistency. 9 yards is simply ridiculous. 9 yards with a 65 plus completion percentage is all but unheard of. Tom Brady never got to 9 yards an attempt. Brees has never gotten there, even the year he almost clipped Marino's single season yard mark. Manning has only done it once, and Dan Marino, the man whom Rivers is most often compared to, only did it once.

That's the kind of rare air Phillip Rivers is playing in right now... and without all of his weapons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »