Home

What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score?

This is a discussion on What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: What's Your Take On Teams Running Up The Score?

I believe there is no such thing. Either you can stop the other team or you can't. I played flag football and the mercy rule was what we had. Maybe the NFL needs one?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
All Star

OVR: 8

It ain't worth winning if you can't win big! :P

In all seriousness though I really have no problem with running up the score. There are instances where I think it really is classless, but even then...if the other team doesn't like it then they need to show up and stop them.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

From the other thread

Quote:
I swear I cannot stand that stupid argument whenever running up the score in any sport is brought up. 'If you don't want them running up the score, stop them.' No one wants to get embarrassed and blown the hell out of a game, if they COULD stop them, then they wouldn't have been down in the first friggin place. Now if someone intentionally broke Brady's leg (or whoever is running up a score) then they'd be wrong, but they'd have stopped them the only way they could at the time.

You have to keep playing the game as the winning team that goes without saying, but going for it on fourth down, two point conversions, throwing 60 yard passes, leaving starters in until two minutes left in the game when your up by 30-40 points is a joke and unexcusable. Like I said, if the other team COULD stop it from happening, they wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place, so it's a piss poor argument to say that everytime someone runs up a score on someone.
And the argument is all over this thread. It's one thing when you're running the ball and you're just running all over the other team and scoring. That's fine, at that point you aren't being a douche and being stupid by risking injury to your starters and it's fully on the other team to have some pride to make a stop. However having your star QB airing it out up 30 in the fourth is just disrespectful and pathetic. It's not about being paid to a do a job, being a professional or anything like that, it's just having respect for your opponent and the game. It's not like you have to let them come back and win the game or even let them score, but come on...you can keep the pressure on a team without throwing it all over the place with your starters running around, going for it on fourth down talking about some BS giving they're defense a chance to make a stop.

Last edited by King_B_Mack; 12-08-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Well as long as college has the BCS,have at it.

Pros? Go ask the 1992 Houston Olilers about running up the score. "28-3 at the half? That's ahight,we got this. Just phone it in from here."
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #13
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Disrespectful in some fashion but hey, at the end of the day, you have to continue to play.

I don't think it's right to keep starters in after a while, though. After a while, it should become valuable practice for some of the lower string players.

If there was point differential as a tiebreaker, then there would be no problem with it whatsoever.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Well as long as college has the BCS,have at it.

Pros? Go ask the 1992 Houston Olilers about running up the score. "28-3 at the half? That's ahight,we got this. Just phone it in from here."
That's not a very good example. 28-3 at half? Any team could comeback from that. But when it's 38-3 in the 4th, it's time to pull your starters.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #15
Bills Mafia!!

racerx's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
In high school or college, it's just bad sportsmanship to run up the score *I'm assuming this means still running high octane offense with 1st stringers.*

In the pro's? Who cares. They are paid to play the game and they are all professionals. If you wanna stop them from running up the score, maybe you should live up to your contract and stop them.
Totally agree!!
NCAA Basketball - UK Wildcats
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
In high school or college, it's just bad sportsmanship to run up the score *I'm assuming this means still running high octane offense with 1st stringers.*

In the pro's? Who cares. They are paid to play the game and they are all professionals. If you wanna stop them from running up the score, maybe you should live up to your contract and stop them.
Exactly, this is the NFL, no such thing as running up the score.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »