Home

Best QB/RB/WR Trio in NFL History.

This is a discussion on Best QB/RB/WR Trio in NFL History. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #65
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Best QB/RB/WR Trio in NFL History.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT007
Sanders, Moore, and Mitchell was a good triplet.
Beat me to it.

Although any QB would be great with Sanders and Moore in their primes.

I'd make the argument that this year, the best triplet is Schaub/Foster/Johnson.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #66
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT007
I would take Jim Kelly because early on in his career he had above average mobility. I am fan of Kelly since his time with the Caines and I always felt he was the best qb in the USFL.

I always had a soft spot for Moon. I used to watch him with EE. I think all could have thrive in multiple systems but I think Kelly was more of an athlete than Troy and Moon.
I think Moon wasn't fully equipped early on in his NFL career in a typical pro style offense. His first couple or so years in the league were pretty rough though he showed flashes of brilliance. It wasn't until Jerry Glanville came to town and installed the run n' shoot that Moon really got into high gear.

Troy Aikman started out in a more spread out offense (shocking to think eh?) and threw the ball a ton but he was handcuffed due to not having great personnel and when things were better offensively he just didn't like the more wide open passing game. In fact, he complained bitterly to Jimmy Johnson to get rid of David Shula who was the OC at the time.

I think you're right about Kelly though, when he first came to Buffalo it was a very conservative offense that relied on the running game and had a pretty pedestrian passing offense. He chafed under that system but he produced quite well considering. Few people remember that in '88 when the Bills made it to the AFC Championship against Cincy they were still a fairly conservative offense. History could've been different if they had more success under such a system.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #67
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Beat me to it.

Although any QB would be great with Sanders and Moore in their primes.

I'd make the argument that this year, the best triplet is Schaub/Foster/Johnson.
Nah, Foster's was hurt at the start of the season and now Johnson's hurt. Stafford/Johnson/Best would have to be up there, as well as Fitz/Jackson/Johnson in Buffalo.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #68
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Schaub/Foster/Johnson would be the best today....if they were healthy.

**sigh**
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #69
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
Homer alert

Ryan/Turner/White is pretty good in the current NFL. All 3 are arguably top 5 at their position depending who you ask.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #70
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-
Homer alert

Ryan/Turner/White is pretty good in the current NFL. All 3 are arguably top 5 at their position depending who you ask.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I don't see how anyone could make an argument how Ryan is Top 5...Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #71
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Craig is terribly underrated. That's the problem. I was shocked to find out he's not in the HOF. You have to consider combined numbers there and I think people only ever think he wasn't that great of a running back (only went over 1000 rushing yards two times) but forget about his receiving. From 83-89 he combined for at least 1100 yards including going over 2000 twice and another season over 1500. Also in 3 Super Bowls his average combined yards per game comes out to 137. RB for him stands for receiving back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Craig is terribly underrated. That's the problem. I was shocked to find out he's not in the HOF.
Why? 1 All-Pro team and 3 Pro Bowls is pretty bad for any player that wasn't a QB on a dynasty; he doesn't have good career numbers; and he was in scientific terms "meh" before Rice and bad after Rice and Montana.

The problem I have with Montana/Craig/Rice is that it's more of a "insanely great QB/WR combination + a solid RB" situation than an actually great trio.

With the Greatest Show on Turf, you had the best QB in the NFL, the best RB in the NFL, and a top 3 WR, all of whom will be HOFers, and with Lord Manning and his crew, you have a GOAT candidate at QB, a GOAT candidate (quantitatively speaking) at WR, and a borderline at worst HOF candidate at RB who won 2 rushing titles and was solid without Manning.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 10-13-2011 at 07:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »