Home

Seattle trades LB Aaron Curry to Oakland

This is a discussion on Seattle trades LB Aaron Curry to Oakland within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Seattle trades LB Aaron Curry to Oakland

I'm betting this winds up being a nice pickup for the Raiders. I think as long as they don't make him think too much, do too much pass coverage, and let him feast on RBs and QBs he will come around and play well.

I agree at this point he needed a 'reboot', and can get that pick position thing out of his head. It's a mental block for him. Wish him luck.

As to the Raiders, RIP Al Davis.

I had a Raider ***** shirt in the 80's, but since their decline I've wanted to see them get better. I can't hate a team I feel sorry for, and now they might be starting to percolate. So, good luck Raiders. Get good so I can break out that shirt again!

I'm not familiar with the Raiders strengths and weaknesses. What do you guys need to be a playoff team?

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
They restructured his deal so he'd be a FA after the end of the year, so I'm glad they got value out of him now before he bolted.
I wouldn't say they got value for him. They turned the #4 pick in the draft into a 7th rounder and a 4th or a 5th. They also drove down any remaining value he might have had by demoting him and letting it turn into a small problem these last few weeks. They bought high and sold low.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
I didn't say it wasn't the right move, I'm just saying I don't like it. If it turns out that all Curry needed was a good talking to, and perhaps a little more support, then I will be .
That's still what I disagree with. We can't know what's going on but it seems a good talking to from Pete Carroll isn't enough... or a good talking to after the position he's fallen to on the Hawks isn't enough. He may become an All Pro on the Raiders, but that doesn't mean it would've happened if he didn't make the move.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
I wouldn't say they got value for him. They turned the #4 pick in the draft into a 7th rounder and a 4th or a 5th. They also drove down any remaining value he might have had by demoting him and letting it turn into a small problem these last few weeks. They bought high and sold low.
Well, it's better than drafting him #4 and letting him walk after the season with no compensation. They weren't about to play him just to keep his stock higher, so might as well get rid of dead weight and get something (albeit little) back for him. It became apparent after his tweets and other locker room chatter that his value wasn't going to improve before the end of the season in other teams eyes.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I thought teams would've learned from AJ Hawk that you should never take a LBer in the Top 5 unless you know for sure he's going to make an INSTANT impact and maintain that level over the years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
That's still what I disagree with. We can't know what's going on but it seems a good talking to from Pete Carroll isn't enough... or a good talking to after the position he's fallen to on the Hawks isn't enough. He may become an All Pro on the Raiders, but that doesn't mean it would've happened if he didn't make the move.
Yeah I understand, but why let it get to that point? Trade the guy when you know he isn't your type of player, don't wait until the last minute when his value is about as low as it can go. And they knew a lot earlier than this.

Instead they let him go his entire "sophomore" year without doing much, ask him to rework his contract before this year, demote him in what appears to be a rather cold and indifferent manner, then finally trade him after his tweeting incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Well, it's better than drafting him #4 and letting him walk after the season with no compensation. They weren't about to play him just to keep his stock higher, so might as well get rid of dead weight and get something (albeit little) back for him. It became apparent after his tweets and other locker room chatter that his value wasn't going to improve before the end of the season in other teams eyes.
It was bad management. If you don't think you can coach the guy up, or if he's not responding to your coaching style, get rid of him. Don't wait until the last minute. They have to be able to foresee this stuff.

By the way, Aaron Curry to start for Raiders.

I would not be surprised at all if Curry revived his career sooner rather than later.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

^ Also, wwharton, all indications are that Carroll never really took him aside to try to get him going. When he was demoted for example, Curry was shocked and didn't really understand, like it all happened without warning or explanation. Then when Curry made his infamous tweet it showed that there really was no effort to try and explain the situation to Curry. Instead it suggested alienation.

Now, I'm not trying to place blame one way or the other as to why Curry struggled, as it appears both parties could have and probably should have done things differently. I'm just saying Carroll and Schneider could have and probably should have handled it differently to get the most value and production from the roster.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
^ Also, wwharton, all indications are that Carroll never really took him aside to try to get him going. When he was demoted for example, Curry was shocked and didn't really understand, like it all happened without warning or explanation. Then when Curry made his infamous tweet it showed that there really was no effort to try and explain the situation to Curry. Instead it suggested alienation.

Now, I'm not trying to place blame one way or the other as to why Curry struggled, as it appears both parties could have and probably should have done things differently. I'm just saying Carroll and Schneider could have and probably should have handled it differently to get the most value and production from the roster.
Curry wasn't Carroll's guy (meaning pick) so I don't think he should be faulted for not investing in the guy. Matter of fact...I applaude Carroll for not allowing Curry's draft status to dictate who sees the field.

You got demoted Curry?! Step your game up. Block it all out, and step up and be a man and TAKE what is yours. Seems like Curry just crumbled in the face of adversity, and then ranted about it via social networks.

There's the door Mr. Curry. See ya!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »