Home

Do you care for Training Camp/Preseason?

This is a discussion on Do you care for Training Camp/Preseason? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Do you care for Training Camp/Preseason?

The preseason will never actually matter that much, so why don't they do something with it? Make it a ticket lottery for the fans and give them away for free.

Fans who can't afford the NFL regularly would finally get something back from their teams, and have the cash to buy a $9 beer while they are at the game.

Its win win
Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't care about training camp, but I do like games 1-3; game 4 is just unbearable to have as a home game (I usually give my ticket away).
Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewkyleyoung
The preseason will never actually matter that much, so why don't they do something with it? Make it a ticket lottery for the fans and give them away for free.

Fans who can't afford the NFL regularly would finally get something back from their teams, and have the cash to buy a $9 beer while they are at the game.

Its win win
Each NFL team gets revenue from the season ticket holders for those 2 games, plus I believe they don't have to share any of it with the NFL.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #60
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Each NFL team gets revenue from the season ticket holders for those 2 games, plus I believe they don't have to share any of it with the NFL.
The 4 preseason games are revenue for the league, a percentage of which is paid to the players in salary and benefits.

The owners/league actually have the power to drop 2 preseason games... this would decrease overall revenue and this player compensation and could be a leverage play at some point that will serve as a precursor to getting an 18 game season.

Big if, but that's probably how it will happen under this CBA/labor environment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #61
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

I think they need to shrink the preseason to two games, training camp is absolutely necessary though.

One, the preseason is mainly to work in rookies and find out who fits where underneath the hood, honestly it's just glorified scrimmages between a lot of players you won't see on Sundays (in a blanket statement, exceptions do apply).

The NFL staffs need a game or two against outside competition to tighten things up and see how they perform against talent outside of their own organization, but four games just drag on, it's 25% of the length of a regular season. MLB's is at 22% (at the highest point for this season, at it's low its 12%), the NBA is at 9% (based off the Lakers '13 preseason schedule) and the NHL is at the same (based off the Hurricanes). More than one game is alright, but anything beyond two is a bit long. Training camp though irregardless is absolutely necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 9

They can't shrink preseason that wouldn't be fair to the 1100 players who get cut every year
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #63
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfravens
They can't shrink preseason that wouldn't be fair to the 1100 players who get cut every year
I agree. Just like Cousins said in an interview. Preseason games are like the Super Bowl for these players trying to make the roster.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #64
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

I do somewhat. A lot of it depends on how well the the baseball season is going. If the Reds are sucking and completely out of the race I'll be more interested in what is going on in preseason football. But seasons like these I'm much more interested in the baseball season and casually follow what is going on in preseason football.

Last edited by Buckeyes_Doc; 08-21-2012 at 09:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »