Home

MVP Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MVP Discussion Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #73
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MVP Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
This is the BS that the NFL/NCAA always does. So what if a player doesnt have the wins and such, if they have the ridiculous stats they should win.

Even MVP/Heisman gets skewed because of that crap.

Anyway I see Adrian getting Comeback Player and not MVP unless he gets to the 2000 yard mark which realistically he could. He has 1446 yards and needs to average 138.5 in each of the next 4 games against: Bears, Falcons, StL, Packers. Will it be tough, yes. Is it possible, absolutely with the way Adrian is running the ball. 6 Straight games of 100 yards or more. Only thing in his way are 2 stout defenses and the high chance that we will be trailing most of those games along with Musgrave playcalling.
Quote:
But doesnt the MVP award go to the player that means the most to their team with the stats to prove it? If so then I highly doubt we win 4 games without Adrian however look at what the Broncos did without Peyton last year. Not taking anything away from his performance or anything but I am just making sure I understand the MVP "criteria". Even Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers have a shot for what they mean to each others team as well. Maybe I am over thinking things.

Are there any other awards that I am forgetting about that may be used in the conversation.
Quote:
I'm not saying I would be upset if Peyton wins it, I just get mad when wins are part of the equation but it is what is is. Adrian probably has comeback player of the year on lock. Offensive POTY will prob go to Brady.
Wins is the MOST important "stat" for MVP bc the whole point is what the player's contributions did for the team. In that sense, yes the Vikings would win 4 games without him so it's clear he's having that type of impact, but so are all the other players in consideration. And since it's about the effect they have on team's success, if a team is successful to the tune of winning their division or getting to the playoffs, that's always going to trump insane stats that just gets you to an "okay" record.

As someone mentioned, they have another award for that situation... OPOY. BTW, Jamal Lewis was in the exact same situation years ago. Internet talk like this wasn't AS big back then, but not even in Baltimore was there a huff about him not being considered an MVP candidate at all. I think the mistake in a lot of sports discussions is only looking at things from your favorite player/team's perspective and not considering all of the other players/teams they are competing against. AP has a hell of a resume to make a case but others have better cases.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #74
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
My top 5 is this (even though I am probably leaving people out)
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
JJ Watt
Geno Atkins
Adrian Peterson
How is Von Miller not in your top 5, especially ahead of Atkins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Wins is the MOST important "stat" for MVP bc the whole point is what the player's contributions did for the team. In that sense, yes the Vikings would win 4 games without him so it's clear he's having that type of impact, but so are all the other players in consideration. And since it's about the effect they have on team's success, if a team is successful to the tune of winning their division or getting to the playoffs, that's always going to trump insane stats that just gets you to an "okay" record.

As someone mentioned, they have another award for that situation... OPOY. BTW, Jamal Lewis was in the exact same situation years ago. Internet talk like this wasn't AS big back then, but not even in Baltimore was there a huff about him not being considered an MVP candidate at all. I think the mistake in a lot of sports discussions is only looking at things from your favorite player/team's perspective and not considering all of the other players/teams they are competing against. AP has a hell of a resume to make a case but others have better cases.
I agree wins are pretty important for a MVP, unless a player has an absolutely stellar season.
And people need to stop comparing this Broncos team to last years. Last year, the Broncos had crazy freakin miracles to win. Still remember the Bears game where Marion Barber goes out of bounds to save the Broncos time to get a field goal, and then fumbles in OT when the Bears are in field goal range. Broncos flat out got extremely lucky last year.
This year? Peyton actually has opposing teams scared of giving the Broncos the ball on offense. Broncos are 9-3, locked up the AFC West and eyeing the #2 seed, which they have a realistic shot at.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #75
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
How is Von Miller not in your top 5, especially ahead of Atkins?

I agree wins are pretty important for a MVP, unless a player has an absolutely stellar season.
And people need to stop comparing this Broncos team to last years. Last year, the Broncos had crazy freakin miracles to win. Still remember the Bears game where Marion Barber goes out of bounds to save the Broncos time to get a field goal, and then fumbles in OT when the Bears are in field goal range. Broncos flat out got extremely lucky last year.
This year? Peyton actually has opposing teams scared of giving the Broncos the ball on offense. Broncos are 9-3, locked up the AFC West and eyeing the #2 seed, which they have a realistic shot at.
More than realistic since they play the Ravens in a couple of weeks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #76
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
I doubt Ryan wins it but him beating Manning head to head an only having 1 loss should help his case.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #77
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Well Adrian Peterson just keeps on making a bigger and bigger claim for the MVP in my opinion.
A huge game against a division rival, a much needed win to keep the playoff chances alive.
Gosh damn is he something special.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #78
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-
I doubt Ryan wins it but him beating Manning head to head an only having 1 loss should help his case.
Two now . Ugh oh.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #79
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

[HOMER]

I think you could make a case for Aaron Rodgers considering all the injuries the team has had, his complete lack of a supporting running game, and the fact that the team is still 8-4 and in the driver's seat in the NFC North. He's single-handedly held this team together.

[/HOMER]
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Weren't the Broncos 8-8 last year? Why do people keep bringing that up as if they were an amazing team? They won games in the most unexplainable ways last year and shouldn't have even been in the Playoffs anyway with that record. The impact Peyton has had on the Broncos this year is clear as day. They are far and away a better team.

That said I'm rooting for AP to win it. Actually I always root for non QB's to win these type of awards. Unless they're on my team.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »