Home

Most analysts think that Geno Smith is the top QB in this year's draft? SMH

This is a discussion on Most analysts think that Geno Smith is the top QB in this year's draft? SMH within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #33
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Most analysts think that Geno Smith is the top QB in this year's draft? SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
By high draft pick I mean 2nd or 3rd round, not a top ten pick. I think they would get better than a fourth rounder this year with so many desperate teams and so few potential upgrades available at the QB position. Supply and demand.
Not that many teams are that desperate for QBs though, and if they are they aren't teams that are one QB away from contending. Look at the top teams for the draft.

KC - needs a QB but would likely draft one over trading for a retread again (see Cassel)
Jax - needs a QB, but also needs other help and wouldn't want to give up picks for one. Also still have Gabbert.
Oak - need a QB, but in complete rebuild mode and I know for a fact wouldn't trade picks for either guy. (see Palmer)
Philly - have Foles as young prospect, wouldn't trade.
Det - Stafford
Buff - possibility
Cleveland - Weeden
Tenn - still have Locker and Hasselbeck
Zona - def need, but might opt to draft one rather than trade.
SD - Rivers

Jets are the only team after that that would possibly be out for a QB, but even there the Sanchez situation is cluttered. So Buff, Zona, and NYJ are the only teams that would need a QB, but is that need enough to trade for either of those guys given what you'd be paying them, when you can draft a young QB and pay them less or wait it out and hope the teams cut them?

SF in particular has to hope a team is desperate enough to trade for Smith bc of the roster bonuses he has in his contract.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/...lin-kaepernick

Quote:
And why would Smith or Flynn get cut? Both Kaepernick and Wilson are dirt cheap right now so neither team is overpaying at the QB position and would need to unload them for cap reasons. Not going to happen.
Teams generally don't like paying backup QBs a) more than the starter and b) 5-7 million dollars a year. The QB class is weak, but teams will still be willing to take a guy, try to groom him in their system, and see if lightning strikes like it has with Wilson and Kaep vs giving up picks for a retread.

Last edited by rangerrick012; 12-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012

Teams generally don't like paying backup QBs a) more than the starter and b) 5-7 million dollars a year. The QB class is weak, but teams will still be willing to take a guy, try to groom him in their system, and see if lightning strikes like it has with Wilson and Kaep vs giving up picks for a retread.
I can't speak for the Niners but the Seahawks don't have a developmental QB waiting in the wings to become the #2 if Flynn is released (Wilson was supposed to be the developmental QB) and Wilson is on a rookie 3rd round contract so is dirt cheap. If Schneider is offered a high enough pick he'll trade Flynn. If not he'll return as the backup.

Having five rookie QBs starting at the beginning of the season is the exception, not the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more than one or two starting at the beginning of next season so that means teams looking for new starting QBs will need to find them elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #35
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Yeah I'm not into the college game, but no one is jumping out as a sure fire pick as far as QB goes.

This draft, again as far as QB's go, is going to be won by the team with the best scouting department. Because there isn't a high pick lock but just a lot of prospects, some passers are going to slide. Someone's gonna get a Russell Wilson or [insert modern late round QB].

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the teams with a solid situation at QB taking some of these guys and they'll be the next Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn as far as a few spot appearances and then traded away to be someone else's franchise QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
That's worked out real well for Kolb and Flynn... Those two cases make what you describe less likely to happen again anytime soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
Rookie

QuieroFrijoles's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:

Jax - needs a QB, but also needs other help and wouldn't want to give up picks for one. Also still have Gabbert.
I think the Jags should take a QB in the second or third round. Gabbert is absolutely terrible while Henne is a backup QB at best.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You don't pay backup QBs $6-8m when the salary cap is staying at virtually the same level for a third year in a row.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
True, but one team will. Here he is practicing his 2013 role.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #39
Pro

psychraider32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Not that many teams are that desperate for QBs though, and if they are they aren't teams that are one QB away from contending. Look at the top teams for the draft.

KC - needs a QB but would likely draft one over trading for a retread again (see Cassel)
Oak - need a QB, but in complete rebuild mode and I know for a fact wouldn't trade picks for either guy. (see Palmer)
Philly - have Foles as young prospect, wouldn't trade.
Det - Stafford
Buff - possibility
Cleveland - Weeden
Tenn - still have Locker and Hasselbeck
Zona - def need, but might opt to draft one rather than trade.
SD - Rivers

Jets are the only team after that that would possibly be out for a QB, but even there the Sanchez situation is cluttered. So Buff, Zona, and NYJ are the only teams that would need a QB, but is that need enough to trade for either of those guys given what you'd be paying them, when you can draft a young QB and pay them less or wait it out and hope the teams cut them?

SF in particular has to hope a team is desperate enough to trade for Smith bc of the roster bonuses he has in his contract.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/...lin-kaepernick

Sometimes they are just a QB away if that QB can inspire his team to play for him. The Colts needed a lot more than a QB and Luck has taken them to the playoffs. The Dolphins could finish 8-8 which is respectable. Russell Wilson (give a lot of credit to Seattle's defense) has taken them to new heights. Andy Dalton led the Bengals out of the dark. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags found there franchise QB and go 8-8, 9-7 next year.

Interests and Hobbies: video games, programming, psychology, neuroscience, piano, functional strength training.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #40

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychraider32
Sometimes they are just a QB away if that QB can inspire his team to play for him. The Colts needed a lot more than a QB and Luck has taken them to the playoffs. The Dolphins could finish 8-8 which is respectable. Russell Wilson (give a lot of credit to Seattle's defense) has taken them to new heights. Andy Dalton led the Bengals out of the dark. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags found there franchise QB and go 8-8, 9-7 next year.
Who's going to be that franchise QB though?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »