Home

Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL

This is a discussion on Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Rookie

kcharles520's Arena

OVR: 2
Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL

I'm really pumped to see how Kelly's Spread Option offense will translate to the NFL in 2013-14. For years we've heard analysts doubt the effectiveness of the spread option in the NFL. Yet through all those years, no coach has truly had the guts to implement the scheme as a base offense. We've seen wrinkles of it here and there, but no coach has truly put all the chips on the table and given the spread offense a shot at winning. 2013 might finally be that year!!

With speedsters like Mike Vick, Lesean McCoy and Desean Jackson at his disposal, I expect Kelly to run a spread offense very similar to what he ran at Oregon. And with the burners he has, I expect it to succeed.. This is definitely one of the more intriguing storylines going into the 2013-14 season. Let's just hope Chip Kelly sticks to his roots and runs the type of offense he knows best. I'd hate to see him revert to the cookie cutter "pro style" attack that just about everyone else in the league uses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL

I can't see that they will go all out with it like Oregon, but I'm guessing we'll see a fair bit of it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I dunno, The Niners used a lot of the spread option with Kaepernick last year and the Seahawks and Redskins run it often so it's not like it's some totally foreign concept that doesn't get used a lot in the NFL. You're right that most of the spread offense principles in the NFL have been the pass heavy version of the spread so this would be the first time where you see the run based form of it used as the primary offense.

I've said it before and i'll say again now, the spread option is going to be a very trendy offense over the next decade especially if a read option team wins a SB.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Im only curious to see how much no huddle he runs as he loves to maximize plays by forcing the issue and running a lot of plays on offense. How long until people bitch about him going for it on 4th down though lol? The guy went for it more often then any coach Ive ever seen and since its all based on percentages in his head I doubt he stops doing that just because he is now coaching in the NFL compared to college.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Rookie

kcharles520's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I've said it before and i'll say again now, the spread option is going to be a very trendy offense over the next decade especially if a read option team wins a SB.
i agree with this, and that's why chip kelly's presence in the NFL is going to be such an interesting storyline next season. we're talking about arguably one of the greatest spread-option coaches in the history of college football in a league that's ever so slowly beginning to see the merits of that style of offense.

i mean for years we always heard it. "option doesn't work in the nfl, spread offense doesn't work in the nfl...defense is too fast, it doesn't work, etc. etc." and now that people are finally *trying* that offense out they're realizing....it's actually quite effective.

so if chip kelly comes in and runs a spread-option offense to perfection in 2013-14 then we could be talking about the dawning of a new era in professional football. it could change the entire nature of the pro game if this style of offense succeeds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Chip is a highly innovative coach, not a one-trick scheme gimmick. I expect he'll come up with something that works in the NFL. And it's not necessarily going to be what he did before at a different level of play.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Rookie

kcharles520's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by arton86
Chip is a highly innovative coach, not a one-trick scheme gimmick. I expect he'll come up with something that works in the NFL. And it's not necessarily going to be what he did before at a different level of play.
i'm not sure if kelly's spread offense could be classified as a "one-trick scheme gimmick." he built his entire gameplan at oregon around the spread-option with multiple formations and whatnot. it was a very sophisticated playbook overall.

he might not run a full spread-read in the NFL but i'd still expect that to be a pretty big component of what he does...especially with an explosive quarterback like vick and burners like mccoy, d. jackson and maclin on the offensive side of the ball. it's going to be interesting to see what he does in 2013-14 no doubt.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Ah, well, what I meant is just that I wouldn't expect him to be tied down to the same offensive scheme he ran at Oregon. Not that the scheme is a gimmick, but that he as a coach, isn't a one-scheme guy.

It'll be interesting no doubt. I don't think a spread option can work without a legitimate passing game in the NFL (which Vick, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick all provide in some measure).

I wonder if his offense might not seem a lot more conventional than expected though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »