Home

Week 4: Green Bay Packers (1-2) @ Chicago Bears (2-1)

This is a discussion on Week 4: Green Bay Packers (1-2) @ Chicago Bears (2-1) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #81
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Week 4: Green Bay Packers (1-2) @ Chicago Bears (2-1)

Remember when people complained about Refs letting things go? "Call everything by the book" they said. "We know it'll mean more flags but at least they'll get the calls right."

Well the NFL was listening... enjoy what some of us saw would be the result.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #82
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Remember when people complained about Refs letting things go? "Call everything by the book" they said. "We know it'll mean more flags but at least they'll get the calls right."

I don't know who was saying that but they are crazy. The NFL rulebook is 1000 pages long and this ref crew was calling them all and then some.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #83
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:

See that was the problem, they weren't getting it right.

These refs were just flag happy, making phantom calls for no reason. I believe they were just guessing on a lot of calls. Either way it was painful to watch for both sides.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #84
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
See that was the problem, they weren't getting it right.

These refs were just flag happy, making phantom calls for no reason. I believe they were just guessing on a lot of calls. Either way it was painful to watch for both sides.
I watched games out yesterday so didn't see enough of this to really comment on it specifically. But the problem is refs can never see everything and there's always been a way of deciding what to call and not call. With an emphasis on certain areas they're just going to call it now. The worse part about it is when we get to the playoffs they will pull back, which can create an unfair advantage in some cases. It would've been better if people just accept that refs are refs and it's part of the game. Because that's still the case, just with more flags.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #85
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
I watched games out yesterday so didn't see enough of this to really comment on it specifically. But the problem is refs can never see everything and there's always been a way of deciding what to call and not call. With an emphasis on certain areas they're just going to call it now. The worse part about it is when we get to the playoffs they will pull back, which can create an unfair advantage in some cases. It would've been better if people just accept that refs are refs and it's part of the game. Because that's still the case, just with more flags.
I agree that they will never see everything, but yesterday was just bad. They called Peppers for illegal hands to the face when it was the lineman who had his hands in Peppers' face. There was also a holding call on a near perfect pancake block were there wasn't any holding going on.

Even on Chicago's side there was a unnecessary roughness called her the DB didn't come close to hitting the WR in the head. They also gave GB a great spot in the 3rd (iirc) when the ref was right there, but just spotted the ball incorrectly. However, Chicago should be mad at themselves for that one for not challenging it. I'm sure there's a few other calls that I'm missing, but my memory isn't the best.

I get that they're going the extra mile to protect players and while I don't like it (especially the way they "baby" QB's) I understand it. What I don't like is the emphasis on creating high-powered offenses which makes the game even tougher for defenses and phantom calls that keep drives going.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #86
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I agree that they will never see everything, but yesterday was just bad. They called Peppers for illegal hands to the face when it was the lineman who had his hands in Peppers' face. There was also a holding call on a near perfect pancake block were there wasn't any holding going on.

Even on Chicago's side there was a unnecessary roughness called her the DB didn't come close to hitting the WR in the head. They also gave GB a great spot in the 3rd (iirc) when the ref was right there, but just spotted the ball incorrectly. However, Chicago should be mad at themselves for that one for not challenging it. I'm sure there's a few other calls that I'm missing, but my memory isn't the best.

I get that they're going the extra mile to protect players and while I don't like it (especially the way they "baby" QB's) I understand it. What I don't like is the emphasis on creating high-powered offenses which makes the game even tougher for defenses and phantom calls that keep drives going.
I don't think your last paragraph is the issue though I see people tying it to that. But hands to the face and the illegal touching down field aren't doing anything for player safety (well, not doing much). They're trying to take judgement out of as many calls as possible bc there's so much bitching about the refs. It's just not going to work.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #87
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

No punts in this game. Only the third time in NFL history that has happened. One of those was a playoff game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »