Home

NFC Divisional Round: (4)Dallas Cowboys @ (2)Green Bay Packers

This is a discussion on NFC Divisional Round: (4)Dallas Cowboys @ (2)Green Bay Packers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #81
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NFC Divisional Round: (4)Dallas Cowboys @ (2)Green Bay Packers

Also GB OL held their own in that game and dominated in the run game, why on earth McCarthy threw 42 times in that game when QB1 and the receivers were off I'll never understand.

I think this is by far one of the better units GB has had on the OL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

If Rodgers is near 100% GB will win. I'm not sure he's near 100%...plus he hasn't practiced in a long time unless something has changed.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #83
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
If Rodgers is near 100% GB will win. I'm not sure he's near 100%...plus he hasn't practiced in a long time unless something has changed.
This is Aaron Rodgers, not Ryan Lindley. I'm sure he knows how to run the offense, knows his timing with his receivers, etc.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #84
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Did you actually watch the game or is that your analysis?

The Packers had to scheme vs the Bills DL, they had a couple of sack leaders in Williams and Dareus.

Plus, the CB's shoved the Packers WR's and knocked them off their routes, they played very physical. (some of the Packers said they got away with a lot holding) 2nd Int just didn't jump the slant, his hand was all over Boykins back before the ball arrived.

So, yeah, if the Cowboys can bring pressure off the front four(Packers OL is very good) and play rough n tough on the back end and get away with it, it should be a close game.

I'm not sure if that will happen, though, because based on scouting report, the weak link is the FS and SS and Church was burned by Golden Tate last week.
That's ultimately what I'm asking. What happened in a game that would cause a top defense to produce stats that any team in the league could produce. No Dallas agenda, no trick questions. What part of the scheme to counter Buffalo threw off Green Bay's normal offense. Leaving an extra man to block = worst offensive output of the year?

If you have more insight on why those numbers are not accurate please drop some science on that ballgame. As it stands 1 sacks, and 10 hurries is not something that separates the men from the boys. I think Dallas D-line and probably 31 others could muster up those type of numbers. It's the secondary that I think is the issue for Dallas which is no surprise. They seem to thrive in man 2 man, but keep going back to these zone cover 2 looks and getting picked apart.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
This is Aaron Rodgers, not Ryan Lindley. I'm sure he knows how to run the offense, knows his timing with his receivers, etc.
True, it's mostly how much the injury COULD hamper him, or even remove him from the game.

I know Rodgers is a baaaaad man!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #86
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiggio
That's ultimately what I'm asking. What happened in a game that would cause a top defense to produce stats that any team in the league could produce. No Dallas agenda, no trick questions. What part of the scheme to counter Buffalo threw off Green Bay's normal offense. Leaving an extra man to block = worst offensive output of the year?

If you have more insight on why those numbers are not accurate please drop some science on that ballgame. As it stands 1 sacks, and 10 hurries is not something that separates the men from the boys. I think Dallas D-line and probably 31 others could muster up those type of numbers. It's the secondary that I think is the issue for Dallas which is no surprise. They seem to thrive in man 2 man, but keep going back to these zone cover 2 looks and getting picked apart.
I'm not sure any team in the league can pick off Aaron Rodgers twice in one game, it's rare.

Here are a few reasons, the Bills, at the time had the #1 pass defense. As Wwharton suggested, playing at home helped the Bills. The WR's and Rodgers were on different pages all day long. The noise at Buffalo and the disruptive DB's, plus, the constant pressure on Rodgers helped Buffalo win. Also, lousy special teams play from GB, a FG blocked and a punt return for a TD.

Rodgers was under constant pressure from the front 4 trying to evade the rush all day long. Notice the word "harassed" below.

1. The Bills entered the game as the NFL's No. 1 pass defense in Football Outsiders' metrics. They are particularly impressive at Ralph Wilson Stadium, where they fly to the ball in a frenzy. Led by a pair of interceptions from Redskins castoff Bacarri Rambo, Jim Schwartz's troops harassed Rodgers into the worst completion rate (40.5), passer rating (34.3) and yards per attempt (4.4) of any game he has finished in his magnificent 10-year career. The victory keeps Buffalo in the playoff hunt, with road games at Oakland and New England in the final two weeks.

2. Rodgers and his receivers were out of sync from the opening whistle, leading to misfires and at least a half-dozen drops. On his first interception, Rodgers failed to notice a wide open Jordy Nelson on a play with long touchdown potential. Nelson then dropped a perfect pass late in the game that likely would have resulted in a 94-yard touchdown. The loss has a massive impact on the NFC race, perhaps robbing Green Bay of the game's best home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

2A. "Sunday was a rough one," Rodgers said. "I didn't play well. That's not news to anybody. Now, it was frustrating because obviously I hold myself to a really high standard. I know I can play better, and I should've played better."

So can his receivers, who dropped seven passes -- the most by any team in a game since 2008, according to ESPN Stats & Information. One of Rodgers' two interceptions came off a dropped pass by Jarrett Boykin.

It seems like all you are looking at is stats, which is fine, but without watching the game, there are other intangibles besides stats that threw the Packers offense off.

Last edited by roadman; 01-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #87
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

The Cowboys' defense has been playing well under Merinelli, but they don't have the elite pass rush to win this kind of game against this kind of QB and offense in Lambeau. The Cowboys have played a difficult schedule and gone up against some excellent teams this season, but they haven't gone against a QB the caliber of Rodgers, with all due respect to Andrew Luck. They've gotten by with an average pass rush up until now but that will be very difficult in this game.

Ill be surprised if Dallas wins but I have been surprised before so hopefully this is another time.

Last edited by ZB9; 01-07-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #88
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm not sure any team in the league can pick off Aaron Rodgers twice in one game, it's rare.

Here are a few reasons, the Bills, at the time had the #1 pass defense. As Wwharton suggested, playing at home helped the Bills. The WR's and Rodgers were on different pages all day long. The noise at Buffalo and the disruptive DB's, plus, the constant pressure on Rodgers helped Buffalo win. Also, lousy special teams play from GB, a FG blocked and a punt return for a TD.

Rodgers was under constant pressure from the front 4 trying to evade the rush all day long. Notice the word "harassed" below.

1. The Bills entered the game as the NFL's No. 1 pass defense in Football Outsiders' metrics. They are particularly impressive at Ralph Wilson Stadium, where they fly to the ball in a frenzy. Led by a pair of interceptions from Redskins castoff Bacarri Rambo, Jim Schwartz's troops harassed Rodgers into the worst completion rate (40.5), passer rating (34.3) and yards per attempt (4.4) of any game he has finished in his magnificent 10-year career. The victory keeps Buffalo in the playoff hunt, with road games at Oakland and New England in the final two weeks.

2. Rodgers and his receivers were out of sync from the opening whistle, leading to misfires and at least a half-dozen drops. On his first interception, Rodgers failed to notice a wide open Jordy Nelson on a play with long touchdown potential. Nelson then dropped a perfect pass late in the game that likely would have resulted in a 94-yard touchdown. The loss has a massive impact on the NFC race, perhaps robbing Green Bay of the game's best home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

2A. "Sunday was a rough one," Rodgers said. "I didn't play well. That's not news to anybody. Now, it was frustrating because obviously I hold myself to a really high standard. I know I can play better, and I should've played better."

So can his receivers, who dropped seven passes -- the most by any team in a game since 2008, according to ESPN Stats & Information. One of Rodgers' two interceptions came off a dropped pass by Jarrett Boykin.

It seems like all you are looking at is stats, which is fine, but without watching the game, there are other intangibles besides stats that threw the Packers offense off.
Forgot all about Nelson in that game. First time ever he seemed to just be on another planet. I've NEVER seen him drop a pass like that one that should've been a long TD.

Also forgot about Schwartz who'd spent many long nights years before trying to figure out how to throw Rodgers off his game, while he was in Detroit. It really is like comparing apples and oranges when looking at these two situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
The Cowboys' defense has been playing well under Merinelli, but they don't have the elite pass rush to win this kind of game against this kind of QB and offense in Lambeau. The Cowboys have played a difficult schedule and gone up against some excellent teams this season, but they haven't gone against a QB the caliber of Rodgers, with all due respect to Andrew Luck. They've gotten by with an average pass rush up until now but that will be very difficult in this game.

Ill be surprised if Dallas wins but I have been surprised before so hopefully this is another time.
True. The Cowboys offense is going to be hard to contain too though. That's really their best hope, light up the scoreboard. Luckily for them, they have the guns to do it. I think GB wins but I can see this game going a number of different ways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »