Home

College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL

This is a discussion on College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #41
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: College QBs Are Being Unprepared for the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
Most fans don't actually know what is going on. So they don't realize that starting a rookie QB isn't the bed idea in the world. All they know is their current QB sucks and the new rookie is supposed to the best ever. The GM and owner want to keep the fans happy, the coach will star the rookie to keep the GM and owner happy.
Businesses (especially sports) that act on the perceptions of those who don't really know fail... pretty close to 100% of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #42
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Meh.

The QBs are fine. There has always been tiers of QBs (and all skill position players) as far as I can remember.

The problem IMO is these teams know exactly who they are drafting but they are so stuck in their system/philosophy instead of coaching up these QBs.

If you saw a QB in college where their WRs were just running wide open go routes all day past some 5-star ATH who is now playing CB, you think that QB all of a sudden knows how to read a defense or pick up verbiage simply because they were drafted Top 5?

Bridgewater fell because he didn't fit the physical mold of a Big Ben or Luck and he had a bad pro day. How'd he do last year? How is he going to project years from now?

They want the QB to succeed, they need to invest in their OLs and simplify thing for the QB until he's ready.

I'm sick of the comparisons every single draft of how the QB doesn't match the "measurables" of Big Ben or Luck or Manning.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #43
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

I can't blame the college coaches. This isn't the NFL minor leagues.

I think a lot of the problems is the NFL is filled with the same crappy coaches teaching the same crappy teams and wondering why nothing is working. The NFL doesn't want to adapt to the college game but then they want to complain these QBs aren't working. The NFL just needs to be more flexible.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 09-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Starting a rookie qb day one isnt the worst idea in the world either. Its a case by case thing, but even throwing a 100% unready Qb to the wolves on day one wont ruin that player's career development. The only things that can ruin a qb is his intrinsic lack of arm talent, and/or an inability to learn and master his craft for whatever reason. Some QBs just cant learn this job adequately, it happens very often in this league. Additionally, the offense/team he winds up on can stunt or significantly boost his development. Injuries are a wildcard as well.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #45
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Starting a rookie qb day one isnt the worst idea in the world either. Its a case by case thing, but even throwing a 100% unready Qb to the wolves on day one wont ruin that player's career development. The only things that can ruin a qb is his intrinsic lack of arm talent, and/or an inability to learn and master his craft for whatever reason. Some QBs just cant learn this job adequately, it happens very often in this league. Additionally, the offense/team he winds up on can stunt or significantly boost his development. Injuries are a wildcard as well.
Part of the problem is that QB's that are drafted high in the draft are usually drafted by a bad team, hence the high draft pick. Then they get thrown to the wolves and are forced to play for that same bad team, and can be overhwhelmed quickly. In todays win now league, I hear people calling players a bust after a poor or even mediocre rookie season at the position. Playing QB at the NFL level is ridiculously difficult.

For me, the best thing that ever happened to Aaron Rodgers is he fell in the draft to a well run team then sat behind a future HOF QB.

Every players development curve is different but I've always been a believer it's better to let a kid sit and learn the game before rushing him out there. Obviously there are exceptions. But if you look at the top tier QB's I think they guys like Brees, Rivers, Romo, Rodgers, Eli and Brady were helped out by not being rushed in to service. Most of those guys had some time behind a veteran succesfull QB as well.

There obviously is no magic bullet to developing or predicting how a QB will develop, but as said earlier being drafted by a well run organization and putting talent around that player surely helps.

As far as the notion that NFL coaches should just change their system to fit their QB, it's really not that easy particularly if you have the rest of your roster built to fit the coaches original style of play. That said, if a kid doesn't fit what you do, why draft him? Trying to fit that square peg in a round hole rarely works.

I feel bad for teams that do not have a franchise QB as it stands now. The near future draft classes at the position look rather bleak, and franchise QB's never hit the open market unless they get hit with a significant injury.

Last edited by bkrich83; 09-13-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 04:20 AM   #46
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Being a Panther fan, I feel like they did Cam Newton's development proves that it can work if you meet somewhere in the middle. He's not perfect but he's a decently efficient passer considering what he's had to work with. What makes him dangerous is when they utilize his athleticism in the run game which opens up the pass game. Plus football on any level isn't quantum physics.

Would he have better if he came up in a pro-style system? I don't think you can say for certain, he's led his team to two straight division titles despite not having alot of weapons with how he is now.
I think this is a key year for Cam. He's been so wildly inconsistent. I think he's matured as a leader, he kept the pouting to a minimum and he seemed to get stronger late in the year.

Statistically he's gotten worse every year, and I realize there are other factors in causing that, but he should be more productive than he is, and he should be more efficient as a passer. I have a hard time believing that had he come up in more of a pro style offense, given his physical gifts he wouldn't be further along than he is now.

I know he was hurt and they lacked talent at the skill positions last year, but statistically he ranked just ahead of Kyle Orton last year, and the Panthers didn't win a lot of games (they won a division title with a sub .500 record). He needs to make a big jump this year. The physical talent is very apparent time for him to show he can utilize that immense talent and carry the offense.

Last edited by bkrich83; 09-12-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #47
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Thread needs renamed.
NFL Coaches Are Unprepared for College QBs
#44Syracuse
Old 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #48
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Or they can draft QBs and let them sit on the sideline for a year or two like they used to. QBs don't even kill the cap coming out of college anymore, but for some reason that's MORE reason to start them right away. Makes no sense.
It's a high turnover rate in the NFL, most coaches won't even that long letting a guy sit 2 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »