Home

NBC announces broadcasting team

This is a discussion on NBC announces broadcasting team within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NBC announces broadcasting team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I agree...i got so used to those guys on ESPN
Me too, Thorne and Clement were great. But J.P. Dellacamara is moving to the top of my list now, I love listening to his broadcasts of the Thrashers.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
It really does piss me off that if the Flyers make the Stanley Cup Finals, I can't watch the first 2 games because I don't have OLN. They're morons for taking that deal.
Luckily for me my cable provider added OLN to the line-up at no extra cost. I have digital cable from cablevision, it is channel 300something.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

McGuire is way too hyper for my tastes. I can't stand the guy.

Although he's very much in demand. I read in the paper at one point he was working for TSN, OLN, and had 4 weekly radio gigs. He was getting burnt out so he had to axe most of his weekly radio appearances.

In addition to covering the NHL for TSN/OLN he'll also be working for NBC. He's going to Torino for the Olympics. And he just worked the World Jr Championships.

For all the Bill Clement fans, he's the studio host for OLN right now. Gary Thorne still covers the NHL for USA Today.

One thing I notice in Bucci's articles, Coffey and Thorne's mailbags, there's always fans that wish the NHL was back on ESPN.

I really enjoyed the Thorne/Clement dual in the booth. That duo is better than every broadcasting combo CBC/Sportsnet/TSN has. I still shake my head that Bob Cole and Harry Neale still have the main gig at HNIC. Both should have been removed about 8 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
I still shake my head that Bob Cole and Harry Neale still have the main gig at HNIC. Both should have been removed about 8 years ago.
Could not agree more. Cole sounds like he's broadcasting a game from the 60s, and Neale is easily the most overrated color man in the game. All he does is recite stats and b*tch about how bad the "new NHL" is.

Sorry, Harry, the six-team NHL left the building nearly 40 years ago.

The sooner CBC promotes Hughson and Millen to the top spot, the better. But since Hughie is a B.C. guy, he probably would rather stay in the 10 p.m. time slot for West Coast games and keep his regular Canucks' gig. If you take the 7 p.m. slot, you better have the Leafs' logo tattooed on your c*ck like Cole and Neale.

It's just unbelievable how much favoritism the CBC shows the Leafs. HNIC should be retitled "Hockey Night in Toronto." The Sens get the shaft more than any other team in the 7 p.m. time slot.

Take care,
PK
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Could not agree more. Cole sounds like he's broadcasting a game from the 60s, and Neale is easily the most overrated color man in the game. All he does is recite stats and b*tch about how bad the "new NHL" is.

Sorry, Harry, the six-team NHL left the building nearly 40 years ago.

The sooner CBC promotes Hughson and Millen to the top spot, the better. But since Hughie is a B.C. guy, he probably would rather stay in the 10 p.m. time slot for West Coast games and keep his regular Canucks' gig. If you take the 7 p.m. slot, you better have the Leafs' logo tattooed on your c*ck like Cole and Neale.

It's just unbelievable how much favoritism the CBC shows the Leafs. HNIC should be retitled "Hockey Night in Toronto." The Sens get the shaft more than any other team in the 7 p.m. time slot.

Take care,
PK
The Leafs are featured in every single HNIC this season. But of course it's like this every year. Here in Canada, lots of fans every year (the one's not living in Toronto) complain about why Toronto has to be featured every game and why the Sens don't get more national love. CBC said it's because the Leafs deliver the best ratings. Virtually every Canadian NHL city has lots of Leaf fans in it.

And of course there's TSN .... Toronto Sports Network.

The best pbp guy in the business is Jim Hughson (don't be fooled by his work in the EA NHL series). I'm glad he does all the Canuck games on CBC and Sportsnet. I hate both of his partners though. I think Millien is awful and a lot of Canuck fans feel the same way. Their was a grassroots movement to get him fired last season. He was so awful, last season in the playoffs, both Canuck and Flame fans accussed him of being a homer for the opposite side.
I also don't like John Garrett. On a homer scale of 1-100, he comes out at 115.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
MVP

jason8ooo's Arena

OVR: 9

hahahaha it's funny because I'm from Toronto and agree with both asianflow and pk.

It's funny how many times you'll see Leafs games nationwide on TSN and Sens games in "Ottawa region only." As well, CBC always shows Leafs every Saturday. Of course I'm not complaining because I'm a Leafs fan and definately not a Sens fan. So of course I'm happy that TSN and CBC have the huge Toronto bias but I definately see that it is unfair.

The same thing can be seen in Toronto's big papers, the Sun and the Star. There is obviously hometown slurping but I find that the Sun is ALL OVER the Leafs and praise them even when they're in a huge slump. But of course I may only notice this because I don't really like the Toronto Sun and probably wouldn't critize the Star as harshly.

I guess to end the rant I have to say that CBC and TSN have huge bias but I can't complain because I'm from Toronto but I think its unfair.

Last edited by jason8ooo; 01-07-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
The best pbp guy in the business is Jim Hughson (don't be fooled by his work in the EA NHL series). I'm glad he does all the Canuck games on CBC and Sportsnet. I hate both of his partners though. I think Millien is awful and a lot of Canuck fans feel the same way. Their was a grassroots movement to get him fired last season. He was so awful, last season in the playoffs, both Canuck and Flame fans accussed him of being a homer for the opposite side.
I also don't like John Garrett. On a homer scale of 1-100, he comes out at 115.
Again, so true about Hughie. And I was one of the people who thought he was horrible based on his overwrought work for EA's NHL series.

But I got NHL Center Ice this year for the first time and have really grown to appreciate just how good Hughson is. He's nowhere as over the top in reality as he is in the video games, and the guy just calls a great game.

As for Millen, he suffers from being too honest. Most people are accustomed to either watching incredible homers as color analysts for their local teams or watching Harry Neale for CBC national telecasts, who is so biased toward the Leafs it's sickening. So when a guy like Millen actually is honest about what's happening on the ice, praising and criticizing both teams equally, people think he's too tough.

No, he's doing his job. And doing it damn well.

Ray Ferraro suffers from the same unfair criticism among Edmonton fans at the boards I visit as a longtime Oilers' fan. Ray calls the game as he sees it, criticizing the Oilers if they are playing poorly. The home folks don't like that, especially if they're accustomed to guys like Neale on HNIC Leafs' games or Mickey Redmond on the Wings' broadcasts.

P.S.: TSN is good for one reason: Jennifer Hedger. Meowwwwwwwwww ...

Take care,
PK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
1. Jim Hughson and Greg Millen, CBC, "Hockey Night in Canada" late game
2. Sam Rosen and John Davidson, MSG, N.Y. Rangers
3. Kevin Quinn and Ray Ferraro, Rogers Sportsnet, Edmonton Oilers
NO! Rod Phillips is a millions times better than those two clowns(even though he's on radio) I can't stand to listen to Quinn and Ray.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »