Home

Broke Yotes!!

This is a discussion on Broke Yotes!! within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Broke Yotes!!

I'm about as far from an expert on bankruptcy proceedings as you can be, but the Pens were mired in that crap, so I had no choice but to follow. I believe once it goes to the courts, they have the responsibility to get the highest possible return for the assets to satisfy the creditors. This is probably why Ballsilie is reportedly making such an outrageous bid -- in my admittedly limited understanding this would almost guarantee that he gets the team...

Last edited by Qb; 05-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

Not exactly QB but pretty close. There is one way the NHL could "win" and it is explained in this article
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=277696
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor
Not exactly QB but pretty close. There is one way the NHL could "win" and it is explained in this article
Yeah, I guess the relocation condition does complicate things. Hopefully this is sorted out before the 2009-10 season begins...

I can only assume that the league (ie, owners & suits) does not want franchises moving for the simple fact that it can reflect poorly on the NHL (ie, the product) as a whole. But you'd think at some point common sense would win out. Of course, the strong hockey market that appears to be the destination is also a factor, as I'm sure that Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit are not thrilled with the idea of another team in their general vicinity.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

In terms of hockey markets, Buffalo would be fine I think. Toronto will never suffer and Detroit has the Windsor crowd. Ballsilie knows what he is doing I think and would put a team outside of those markets.

But for the NHL to continue to try to keep franchises in struggling US cities makes no sense to me. Unlike the other major sports, the NHL is a gate-driven league and doesn't get the TV dollars that the NFL gets. Drawing 11,000 fans a game is atrocious and sooner or later, they need to understand that. If they're selling out the arena night in and night out, it's a different story, but Phoenix isn't and that's why I fail to see why that team should stay there.

Hard to believe that Bettman won't see the good this is going to do for the franchise and the NHL if Ballsilie gets the team
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Wow, what a mess!

I guess the first step for the NHL is to determine whether Moyes had the rights to file bankruptcy. If he did, then the NHL's next move is to make sure the bankruptcy court can't uphold Ballsillie's relocation clause.
If both those things fall into place, the Yotes are coming to Canada.

I have a feeling the motion to file Chapter 11 will be upheld.
At that point, it'll be a giant legal mess to determine whether or not Ballsillie can move the team.

I wonder if Ballsillie has researched every aspect of this purchase. One would think he has or else he wouldn't have risked alienating himself even further with this aggressive motion.
If this doesn't work, he'll never get a team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Quote:
In terms of hockey markets, Buffalo would be fine I think. Toronto will never suffer and Detroit has the Windsor crowd. Ballsilie knows what he is doing I think and would put a team outside of those markets.
You're probably right, but I doubt those teams want to risk it...

Quote:
But for the NHL to continue to try to keep franchises in struggling US cities makes no sense to me... Hard to believe that Bettman won't see the good this is going to do for the franchise and the NHL if Ballsilie gets the team
Agreed and from an American fan who almost lost his team, no less. If a team is succeeding in its market but has ownership problems, moving should not be an option. It would be hard to justify that the Coyotes are succeeding in Phoenix and that they wouldn't in a solid Canadian market.

I feel sorry for the true Coyotes fans out there, especially those that would love to support the team (ie, buy season tickets), but can't for financial and/or other reasons. I was in that boat with the Penguins -- I went to a fair amount of games via the student rush promotions, even when they were putrid. But there was no way in hell that I could afford full-price or season tickets, which is what the league really wants to see when evaluating the market (along with corporate support, which is actually probably even more important)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I wonder if Ballsillie has researched every aspect of this purchase. One would think he has or else he wouldn't have risked alienating himself even further with this aggressive motion.
This is what I was thinking when I said about bankruptcy having to go to the highest bidder. At the very least, he'll have uber-lawyers on his side, as I'm sure the NHL will.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
This is what I was thinking when I said about bankruptcy having to go to the highest bidder. At the very least, he'll have uber-lawyers on his side, as I'm sure the NHL will.
Yup. It's going to be war of Rocky IV proportions.

I feel bad for the very few diehard Coyotes fans out there.
But like you said, corporate support is what really drives the league. You can have 15,000 season subscribes, but if you don't have any of the local corporations buying up the expensive seats, luxery boxes, etc. the team won't make money.

And that's where I think this move will be approved by the BOG (which needs a 2/3 vote).
Moving the team to a city like Hamilton is like a license to print money. It'll sell out every night, the corporate sponsers will come out in droves and the Canadian TV deal with TSN and CBC will go up even further. And what does that mean for the other 29 owners?
It means the value of their teams go up - not to mention they no longer have to shell out millions from their own pocket to keep a failed franchise above water.

If this move is shot down by the BOG then it's only because their hate for Ballsillie, or level of brainwashing from Bettman, has reached record levels.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

I dont really care if the franchise stays in Phoenix(for the diehard hockey fans that are there I hope they stay because I know how I would feel if this was happening in Tampa), but I just hope it's not Ballsille getting the team. He just seems like a shady character in his attempts to buy teams. I understand the notion to put another team in Canada, but he should be working with the NHL instead of trying to work around them. I think that might be why there's such backlash against him. It's disappointing to see what's happened to Phoenix. That fanbase was great in the late 90's with the whiteouts for playoff games. It was awesome to see. Seems like once the recognizeable guys like Tkachuk, Roenick, and Khabibulin left it went downhill there.
NHL: Lightning and Ducks

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »